News   Apr 23, 2024
 247     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 790     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 460     0 

Maple leaves on corporate logos

That really makes no sense for foreign operations, but it is a Canadian chain where using a maple leaf in the logo in Canada would be appropriate.
I think it has more to do with playing up its Canadian roots in the countries it expands to. Kind of like how Volkswagen plays up their German-ness in their Canadian advertising. The message isn't intended for Germans, it's meant to capitalize on the reputation of German engineering internationally and to make their brand stand out in market dominated by the Americans, Japanese, and Koreans. I have no idea what reputation Canadian coffee shops have in other countries, but it seems like it's a niche that Second Cup thought was worth exploiting.

Interestingly, this Second Cup in Bucharest is next door to a Ruby Tuesday, which loudly proclaims American dining on its sign. Same idea.

The Second Cup in London is on a shopping street with big Union Jacks hanging above the street. And it's across from a Starbucks.

Last edited:
That looks like a repurposed Petro-Canada or a no-name knockoff.

Here's a more difficult to explain away example:

Untitled.png

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    438.3 KB · Views: 901
I think with so many ways of fitting a maple leaf completely or partially into logos, especially with red and white as the main colour scheme, there's bound to be coincidental similarities.

Here's a more difficult to explain away example:

Yeah, that looks just like filler.

Here's something in Plymouth, England (I think it might be part of a chain because I recall seeing it in other parts of the UK). I'm not sure if it really is Canadian - note the complete absence of maple leaves.

10604849.jpg

Back