News   Apr 17, 2024
 367     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 291     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Maple leaves on corporate logos

And, come to think of it, didn't George Cohon steerhead McD's "Soviet invasion"?

Interestingly, Second Cup doesn't have a maple leaf in its logo in Canada:

Secondcup.jpg

But does have one in their logo in overseas operations:

UK:
Canada’s-Second-Cup-opens-in-Manchester3.jpg

Dubai:
Second Cup 1_tcm87-21499.jpg

Attachments

• Secondcup.jpg
    Secondcup.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,456
  • Canada’s-Second-Cup-opens-in-Manchester3.jpg
    Canada’s-Second-Cup-opens-in-Manchester3.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,239
  • Second Cup 1_tcm87-21499.jpg
    Second Cup 1_tcm87-21499.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,198
In a previous incarnation I ran a design shop creating logos, websites advertising etc. Most of my clients were new startups and they almost all (except the Hab fans) insisted on a Maple Leaf motif being worked into their new image. Couldn't talk them out of it so they got it even if it made no sense.

Interestingly, Second Cup doesn't have a maple leaf in its logo in Canada: But does have one in their logo in overseas operations:

That really makes no sense for foreign operations, but it is a Canadian chain where using a maple leaf in the logo in Canada would be appropriate.

Surprisingly, Tim Hortons, the great symbol of Canadian retailing, doesn't have one either.

Here's a classic example of a pointless use of a maple leaf and a symbol of the Canadian inferiority complex:

Untitled.png

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,086
Interestingly, Second Cup doesn't have a maple leaf in its logo in Canada:

View attachment 42825

But does have one in their logo in overseas operations:

That's like the maple-leaf-on-the-backpack of international operations. 'Don't reflexively hate us - we're not American!'

Second Cup has made some interesting choices of overseas locations: Bucharest, Vilnius, Casablanca ... and Yemen, birthplace of coffee.

I used to think that Americans were more flag-waving and keen on depictions of national symbols and imagery (stars and stripes, bald eagles etc.) than us, but now that I've lived a few years stateside, when I return to Canada, I notice the maple leaves, and almost get the impression that it's the other way around. I think I see more people wearing Canadian flag related imagery on clothing, hats etc. in Toronto than American flag related imagery in Chicago where I live.

Back