News   Apr 19, 2024
 131     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 822     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.7K     2 

Malware warning

Working fine for me on Chrome now (the warnings were still in place earlier today)

I don't know if this is relevant or not but thought I'd mention it. After using Norton/Symantec products since Windows 95 came out I thought I'd try the free "Sympatico" version of McAfee Internet Security, my Symantec Internet Security subscription runs out in two days. All goes well, I open my browser and after a few seconds on UT a scary pop-up comes up saying something like "Whoa, are you sure you want to visit this site, it has been know to have..." (I forget the rest, but it was a warning). I clicked on yes, meaning yes I want to stay on the site and everything is fine of course.
Thought I'd pass it on, I'm on Win 7, McAfee Internet Security & Firefox 25.0.1 plus I installed the McAfee site advisor "Add-on" for Firefox when prompted.

dt_to_geek:

Generally speaking, I find McAfee and Norton both unspeakably awful and really hogs the CPU. There are better alternatives out there.

AoD

I've been using Trend Micro for a few years now with good results. I gave up on Norton because as AoD says, it is indeed a hog.

I used the latest version of the Norton Uninstaller, rebooted, installed McAfee, rebooted and things seemed fine (when I posted the warning I got above). I soon noticed that my system was running slow and over the next two days "something" broke my email program (IncrediMail - paid version), my Internet speed dropped in half and my CPU reading was bouncing like a ball. Tech support at Bell said get rid of McAfee, your CPU could melt down (!). I uninstalled McAfee and all is back to normal then renewed Norton Internet Security and all is still good. Both are hogs, no doubt about it - especially McAfee from what I just experienced but I have a power demon Dell XPS desktop so Norton doesn't affect my speed, much.

Back