News   Apr 18, 2024
 308     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 677     1 

London Rapid Transit (In-Design)

Blurry, but interesting graph

CTBXYOCW4AASuQg.jpg

https://twitter.com/ShiftLdnOnt/status/662261110737760257

Another great benefit of the new system is the plan to get rid of all {or at least most} of the buses going down Dundas Street in the Core. Dundas has seen better days and it's heydays from the 70s are gone and shopping as moved to Richmond Row.

The city at a minimum will reduce the road to 2 lanes from 2 with parking to enhance the urban attractiveness and perhaps create a 2 to 3 block pedestrian-only zone to allow for more cafes, events, festivals, and outdoor markets. This has been a long term goal but has always been impossible due to the street being the busiest bus route in the city along with Richmond.

I attended a SHIFT meeting on December 2.

Overview:

...Nothing really new from the presentation, I think everything from it can be found on the online PDFs. Staff did explain some sections in more detail, however.

For the Q&A, most of the questions came from people that either had a political agenda to push or just generally crazy people.
-Nevertheless, city staff did a good job handling the questions and answered in a calm, respectful manner.

-----

Some pics from the meeting:

(While the theatre looks pretty empty, most people were sitting at the back)

Presentation
UeSxlYC.jpg

Q&A
2Rjt28w.jpg

Display board showing LRT routing on Highbuy (I thought it was going to run through the old hospital lands directly east)
xTRtQSH.jpg

-----

Some interesting developments:

-There is a station planned to go under Oxford Street. Yes, our very own "London Underground".

-Residents are generally concerned that the the LRT is being built to service 'students' rather than the community. Staff said that these are the routes with the highest ridership numbers and warrant rapid transit more than other routes.

-Extension/routing to the Argyle area was presented by at least two members of the public. One of them was approached by Ward 4 councilor Jesse Helmer right after her questions were answered and the two of them left to perhaps discuss something more.

-Overall people seem to be very much in favor for the project and very much against it. Obviously those who attended the event would generally be more interested to see it happen since they devoted time to attend. One 'very busy' person simply asked how it was going to affect his (car) commute. Answer was 'minimal', but was stressed that its too early to give hard numbers. Obviously constriction time will have a much longer impact on traffic.

-The planners want to make sure other road infrastructure projects are done first before starting LRT construction on Richmond. This includes widening Western Road from Warncliffe to Patt's Lane and constructing the CP Grade separation on Adelaide.

-The 'tunnel' section will run on Richmond from Central to St. James Street. Oxford Street was the only station indicated along this stretch.

-There will be a 'new' bridge over the Thames so the system doesn't have to use University Drive. Could this just be for LRT or could it finally result in a Huron-Phillip Aziz (Sarnia Road) connection?

-LRT will be powered by overhead wires rather than a third rail (like what Waterloo Region is doing).

-LRT indicated to run on Highbury between Dundas and Oxford. I thought the hospital lands directly east of Highbury would be used for this corridor.

-Extension to airport is 'long term', rather than a part of the current conceptualized plan.

-Very little if any new information about BRT.

-----

My thoughts after the meeting:

-I agree that the LRT will primarily service students and thus may be a little light in usage when classes aren't in session. Still, I think its a good backbone for a larger system and way to market the city to out of town students who might consider living here.

-An extremely small percentage of people will be using the vast majority of the LRT line. For those going from Western to Fanshawe (not a lot), getting off at Oxford and taking the bus will likely be faster. I'm thinking if the LRT line went completely north-south or east-west it would work better. Example being White Oaks to Western (no transferrs). A lot more people will ride the majority of the line.

-I think the BRT should get extended to the 401. A commuter parking lot could be set up here, possibly with direct connections from the 401. This would make for a much more integrated/seamless 'park-n'ride' transition as those from St. Thomas / out of towners can park here and not have to fight for space in the generally chaotic White Oaks parking lot.

-There is still no firm route for how the BRT gets from downtown to Oxford. I'm maybe thinking a new bridge, possibly a replacement for Blackfriars or something parallel, could help with this.

-The difference in cost between full BRT with dedicated lanes / stations, etc and LRT isn't very significant based on initial estimates. I'd say just build LRT first to avoid costly retrofits and a second construction period (possibly a long one) for a plausible future conversion.

-One of the residents in the Q&A session stressed city staff not to rush with the project as he was thinking it was proceeding too quickly. While I generally agree to take the time and get it right, a delay might derail the whole thing. With a progressive city council and provincial/federal governments wanting to build more infrastructure/transit, now is the time to do it. If we wait too long, the political environment could change in a way that could threaten the entire project or heavily delay / scale down it.

-----

...That's it for now, but I'm sure I left some stuff out. When December 2's event is uploaded, more information can be found at http://www.shiftlondon.ca/public_information_centres

Interesting about the tunnel. It`s going to be quite a bit longer that I thought-------about 700 meters. Also I had not idea they were planning on spitting up the LRT downtown going south on Richmond and north on Clarence to merge at the tunnel.

Probably makes more sense as London roads are pretty thin and Richmond is completely built up. Will there be stops at Dufferin. I like the idea of the BRT and LRT merging on King at CitiPlaza as the area is already covered over so connections to both systems and the mall and movie theatres will be pleasant no matter what the weather.

Also makes sense as the city wants to pedestrianize Dundas from Richmond to at least Clarence and possibly Wellington. It would do wonders to rejuvenate Dundas not only by being pedestrian only but also would mean people would have to walk the block to get a northbound train which will greatly increase pedestrian traffic along the block.

I attended a SHIFT meeting on December 2.

Overview:

...Nothing really new from the presentation, I think everything from it can be found on the online PDFs. Staff did explain some sections in more detail, however.

For the Q&A, most of the questions came from people that either had a political agenda to push or just generally crazy people.
-Nevertheless, city staff did a good job handling the questions and answered in a calm, respectful manner.

-----

Some pics from the meeting:

(While the theatre looks pretty empty, most people were sitting at the back)

Presentation
UeSxlYC.jpg

Q&A
2Rjt28w.jpg

Display board showing LRT routing on Highbuy (I thought it was going to run through the old hospital lands directly east)
xTRtQSH.jpg

-----

Some interesting developments:

-There is a station planned to go under Oxford Street. Yes, our very own "London Underground".

-Residents are generally concerned that the the LRT is being built to service 'students' rather than the community. Staff said that these are the routes with the highest ridership numbers and warrant rapid transit more than other routes.

-Extension/routing to the Argyle area was presented by at least two members of the public. One of them was approached by Ward 4 councilor Jesse Helmer right after her questions were answered and the two of them left to perhaps discuss something more.

-Overall people seem to be very much in favor for the project and very much against it. Obviously those who attended the event would generally be more interested to see it happen since they devoted time to attend. One 'very busy' person simply asked how it was going to affect his (car) commute. Answer was 'minimal', but was stressed that its too early to give hard numbers. Obviously constriction time will have a much longer impact on traffic.

-The planners want to make sure other road infrastructure projects are done first before starting LRT construction on Richmond. This includes widening Western Road from Warncliffe to Patt's Lane and constructing the CP Grade separation on Adelaide.

-The 'tunnel' section will run on Richmond from Central to St. James Street. Oxford Street was the only station indicated along this stretch.

-There will be a 'new' bridge over the Thames so the system doesn't have to use University Drive. Could this just be for LRT or could it finally result in a Huron-Phillip Aziz (Sarnia Road) connection?

-LRT will be powered by overhead wires rather than a third rail (like what Waterloo Region is doing).

-LRT indicated to run on Highbury between Dundas and Oxford. I thought the hospital lands directly east of Highbury would be used for this corridor.

-Extension to airport is 'long term', rather than a part of the current conceptualized plan.

-Very little if any new information about BRT.

-----

My thoughts after the meeting:

-I agree that the LRT will primarily service students and thus may be a little light in usage when classes aren't in session. Still, I think its a good backbone for a larger system and way to market the city to out of town students who might consider living here.

-An extremely small percentage of people will be using the vast majority of the LRT line. For those going from Western to Fanshawe (not a lot), getting off at Oxford and taking the bus will likely be faster. I'm thinking if the LRT line went completely north-south or east-west it would work better. Example being White Oaks to Western (no transferrs). A lot more people will ride the majority of the line.

-I think the BRT should get extended to the 401. A commuter parking lot could be set up here, possibly with direct connections from the 401. This would make for a much more integrated/seamless 'park-n'ride' transition as those from St. Thomas / out of towners can park here and not have to fight for space in the generally chaotic White Oaks parking lot.

-There is still no firm route for how the BRT gets from downtown to Oxford. I'm maybe thinking a new bridge, possibly a replacement for Blackfriars or something parallel, could help with this.

-The difference in cost between full BRT with dedicated lanes / stations, etc and LRT isn't very significant based on initial estimates. I'd say just build LRT first to avoid costly retrofits and a second construction period (possibly a long one) for a plausible future conversion.

-One of the residents in the Q&A session stressed city staff not to rush with the project as he was thinking it was proceeding too quickly. While I generally agree to take the time and get it right, a delay might derail the whole thing. With a progressive city council and provincial/federal governments wanting to build more infrastructure/transit, now is the time to do it. If we wait too long, the political environment could change in a way that could threaten the entire project or heavily delay / scale down it.

-----

...That's it for now, but I'm sure I left some stuff out. When December 2's event is uploaded, more information can be found at http://www.shiftlondon.ca/public_information_centres

Just an update. the PIC 3 slides are now uploaded. Features some HQ renderings. https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.n...49498108/PIC3boards-2015-12-01.pdf?1449498108

Very nice slideshow. I like slide 14 and 17, showing the capital costs and ongoing operating costs of each proposal. This shows exactly how BRT's are rarely cheaper than LRTs.

London has done an excellent job with this proposal and hasn't let petty politics get in the way of sound transit planning.

One thing I don 't like thou is the tunnel at Central and Richmond. I thought it would go south of Central flowing into Clarence and not take up 2 full lanes of Richmond. If they must do it this way they should ditch those large separating walls and put in lower level plant/bushes structures to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

What's the timeline for this? When are they getting shovels in the ground and when do they plan on finishing?

London has done an excellent job with this proposal and hasn't let petty politics get in the way of sound transit planning.

One thing I don 't like thou is the tunnel at Central and Richmond. I thought it would go south of Central flowing into Clarence and not take up 2 full lanes of Richmond. If they must do it this way they should ditch those large separating walls and put in lower level plant/bushes structures to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

i don't know much about London transit, but this proposal looks sound.

How long is the tunnel?

What's the timeline for this? When are they getting shovels in the ground and when do they plan on finishing?
Second slide of that pdf.

Council approves “Smart Moves” Transportation Master Plan
“The London Plan,” the City’s new Official Plan (draft), establishing a vision for future growth, is introduced.
February 2015
Shift is launched with public information centre at Central Library
Mid-Late 2015
Preferred corridor and technology for Environmental Assessment selected
Early-Mid 2015
Assessments of preferred alternatives for technology and alignment <<---- WE ARE HERE
Early 2016
Detailed design for the RT route and plans for construction / funding
2020 - 2025
A new rapid transit system is up, running and ready for riders in London

Totally agree. If they extended the tunnel another 100 feet to south of the Central/Clarence/Richmond intersection it would allow for much quicker travel times for both the LRT and cars. This would mean there would be 2 separate tunnel entrances, one on Clarence and one on Richmond.

I fear for the back-ups at this intersection with the current layout. Think of Dundas West/Roncesvalles Y as a good comparison (and then add a side street). Yes I know Clarence will be a transit mall at this intersection but still is a good comparison.

Will they also get rid of the pesky parking lot beside Victoria Park? I feel it ruins the accessibility of the park...this corner can become the main entrance to the park.

Ya I hope they split the tunnel entrance for Clarence/Richmond. It would be faster, easier to navigate, and have far less visual impact on Richmond which is the city's primary café/bar/shopping streets.

As far as timeline, the city wants to get shovels in the ground as fast as possible. The city deliberately sent the plan to Queen's Park during the election and when the province announced full funding for Miss/Bram LRT and they letter made it quite clear that London is demanding the same. Their timing was politically perfect and as soon as the money is announced {which Queen's park and Ottawa will not refuse} I expect the city to get construction going as fast as possible to take advantage of the very good political infrastructure climate.

Back