News   Apr 24, 2024
 309     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 372     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 724     1 

London Rapid Transit (In-Design)

I really hope London get's it's act together for SHIFT. Things seem to have come to a standstill since the Mayor had to step down.

BTW, how many articulates does London have?

I really hope London get's it's act together for SHIFT. Things seem to have come to a standstill since the Mayor had to step down.

BTW, how many articulates does London have?
They have 4 number 24-27 built in 2012 with an XD60 due in 2017

Some updates, specifically regarding the Western University SHIFT BRT alignment:

Email:
Every student at Western received this email today:

The City of London is completing the second stage of Shift, its public transit planning exercise. This stage will develop a detailed design for the preferred rapid transit routes and provide a plan to build the rapid transit network including how it will be funded.

In May 2016, the City chose a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) model and has been working with Western to find a solution that ensures existing bus transit and the proposed BRT will provide convenient service to campus while complementing Western’s plans to make the campus a more pedestrian-focused space with limits on vehicular traffic.

With this in mind, Western is undertaking an extensive process of analysis and consultation with the campus community. These consultations will share information about proposed transit routes, how they impact campus and provide an opportunity for students, faculty, staff and alumni to voice their opinions.

The Western community’s feedback is important and there are two ways in which you can share your thoughts:

You can comment in writing to transit@uwo.ca by January 20, 2017.

You can attend a Campus Community Meeting. These will be held on two dates:

• January 5, 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. -- UCC 290 – McKellar Room
  • January 10, 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. -- UCC 290 – McKellar Room (I will be attending this meeting, and will post any relevant info on UT)

I invite you to visit Western’s Rapid Transit page to learn more:
http://www.uwo.ca/ipb/publicaccountability/rapid_transit.html

Sincerely,

Lynn Logan
Associate Vice-President (Finance & Facilities)
Western University

Powerpoint Slides:
Attached is a Powerpoint with relevant information. I've posted key slides. Also here is Western's RT page.

iF2QbRy.jpg

bf6ag9S.jpg

k6KVcyA.jpg

SDOT2bj.jpg

dC8q9tW.jpg

iO9bPur.jpg

OKVSHT0.jpg

xdB0scn.jpg

My take as a Western student:

Considering that during phase 1 of the Western consultations, there was tons of resistance to RT running through campus, I am happy to see the university saying that BRT should run through campus, not around it.

I am also happy with the University recommending the Lambton Drive alternative. This route (dependent on stop spacing) runs near (or close enough to) esentially all of the major residences on campus, as well as provides a routing that is supportive of Western becoming a car-free campus. It will run past the current Alumni Circle "transit hub", and past the University Community Centre (UCC) which is a central gathering place on campus with classrooms and restaurants.

Recommendations will be considered by Western’s Board of Governors on January 26, 2017, which most likely means a decision will be made on that day. I'm all for a decision to be made so this project can continue forward. I would have loved to see the BRT be a trolley bus, but I am a realist and understand that that isn't happening at this point. On thing for myself is ensuring that there is a good BRT to VIA Rail connection downtown as tons of students use the train to get home. I will be attending the consultation on the 10th to voice my support, and will update the forum with any additional info or materials.

Last edited:
Interesting.

Has the same email gone to workers on campus? Would their needs/preferences be any different?

I wonder, too, about access to the health center.....that's an important destination for the public that students might overlook.

- Paul

Interesting.

Has the same email gone to workers on campus? Would their needs/preferences be any different?

I wonder, too, about access to the health center.....that's an important destination for the public that students might overlook.

- Paul

Remember...this is a proposed RT line. 2 or 3 stops on the campus only. I wonder how many people will assume it stops outside every building.

Most likely stops at University & Richmond, the transit hub and then the Hospital (north side just before Windemere). Of course local transit can also use the same route but I assume most students are assuming they will have BRT from their dorm front steps to Richmond Row.

Interesting.

- Paul

Not sure if the email went out to staff. Also, I understand the health centre is important to access, but the walk isn't bad at all from the Alumni transit hub. With so many important places on campus, I think the Lambton alignment does a good job being close to as much as possible.

Remember...this is a proposed RT line. 2 or 3 stops on the campus only. I wonder how many people will assume it stops outside every building.

Most likely stops at University & Richmond, the transit hub and then the Hospital (north side just before Windemere). Of course local transit can also use the same route but I assume most students are assuming they will have BRT from their dorm front steps to Richmond Row.

Currently, most busses only stop 2 or 3 times on campus, so the conditions wouldn't be much different for RT. I do hope that the stops are spaced closer together on campus than on the rest of the RT alignment due to the high volume of people, students and staff alike, going to campus.

Livestream of the rapid transit implementation working group which is meeting today at 4:30.

Agenda is:
1. Consultation with Western University
2. Transit-oriented development
3. Options within the Old East Village corridor
4. Business case review update

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/01/04/western-university-maps-rapid-transit-future-rules-out-rail

While the city’s plan calls for a long-shot transition to light rail in 25 years, the university’s discomfort makes that even less likely to happen.
“Electromagnetic issues” from the rail lines, affecting science and engineering research on campus, are just one example of why Western is resistant, White said.

I wonder how U of T and other universities around the world can possibly cope.... I just shake my head at the missed opportunity for London

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/01/04/western-university-maps-rapid-transit-future-rules-out-rail

I wonder how U of T and other universities around the world can possibly cope.... I just shake my head at the missed opportunity for London

The title of the article "Western University maps rapid transit future, rules out rail" is very click-baity. It isn't like the university made the decision to scuttle the LRT, that was the dysfunctional London City Council that opted for a full BRT route. Also, University admins change, and there is nothing about the proposed BRT routing that would stop a future conversion to LRT. There are legitimate concerns about electromagnetic issues impacting things like high-powered microscopes, but these can be mitigated. It is an issue of finding a will to do so.

The University of Waterloo, University of Ottawa, and McMaster University have all expressed concern in the past with their respective municipality's LRT lines being anywhere their sensitive science labs.

They've probably, however, worked to try and mitigate as much as possible.

It would have helped if they had placed where the stops were going to be and how many of them. North of Western is the fastest growing area of the city and the SWO largest and busiest mall, Masonville. They have to consider that those people will not fancy an RT if it meanders thru Western and they get downtown no faster than they do now. Obviously the LTC prefers the Lambton route but I think the Middlesex route would strike a better balance between serving Western nd still provide rapid transit for those North of Western.

Note in the Middlesex option there is reference to arts facilities being impacted, not merely science. Is this about electromagnetic issues or turning squeal/vibration?

Back