News   Apr 24, 2024
 947     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 617     0 

Taxis and ride-sharing in Toronto

There's no Uber thread, but likely Uber should be part of the Taxi system.

There's this article in The Star, at this link:

Uber offices in Montreal raided over tax documents

About 20 investigators executed search warrants on Thursday.

Quebec authorities have raided two Montreal offices of Uber, the company that offers rides at prices lower than typical cab fares. About 20 investigators executed search warrants on Thursday seeking tax-related documents, said Stephane Dion, a spokesman for the province’s revenue agency.

“The investigation has been going on for several months,†Stephane Dion said in an interview.

“At the moment we have 20 investigators on the premises of Uber Canada Inc. The goal is to obtain as much information as possible and these documents will then be analyzed. After that, we’ll be able to determine whether charges will be laid.

“Revenu Quebec is responsible for applying tax laws. We have the power to recommend that charges be laid. And they can be accompanied by fines and prison sentences of up to five years if individuals or the company are found guilty.â€

Dion refused to say whether any individuals were being targeted.

Uber officials were not immediately available for comment.

The raids were conducted more than two weeks after the City of Montreal announced it had seized 40 of the company’s vehicles since the beginning of the year.

Uber’s UberX service uses a smartphone app that links clients to drivers in privately owned vehicles, without a taxi licence, to provide rides that cost less than cab fares.

The city and the province consider UberX a form of illegal transport.

I'm sure most taxi drivers pay income taxes on their income. However, Uber could be another story that needs to be audited. I'm sure they're going to check to see the drivers for Uber in Montreal are filing the income they earned. I expect to see the same happening in other cities.

I'm sure most taxi drivers pay income taxes on their income. However, Uber could be another story that needs to be audited. I'm sure they're going to check to see the drivers for Uber in Montreal are filing the income they earned. I expect to see the same happening in other cities.

cough, cough.....tips. I'm sure every taxi driver (and waiter) declares all their income!

Uber has the benefit for Revenue Canada that the tip is included. There is an electronic record of every amount received by the driver. Uber is by far a better model to report and collect money for income taxes (I assume the driver receives a T4A that reports their income and then they have to compute their own costs).

Quebec has some very progressive laws about paper receipts and is very aggressive about the collection of sales taxes. I think this raid was about these and not income tax.

cough, cough.....tips. I'm sure every taxi driver (and waiter) declares all their income!

Uber has the benefit for Revenue Canada that the tip is included. There is an electronic record of every amount received by the driver. Uber is by far a better model to report and collect money for income taxes (I assume the driver receives a T4A that reports their income and then they have to compute their own costs).

Quebec has some very progressive laws about paper receipts and is very aggressive about the collection of sales taxes. I think this raid was about these and not income tax.

My understanding was there was no tip. The driver got the majority of the fare with uber getting just $2.00. I heard this on the news. The way the taxi system is, the owner of the taxi permit gets it all with the drivers, i am not sure but either hourly wage so they do depend on tips. I don;t know why the public also has to compensate certain workers in the form of tips because they get paid less than min.

I see this thread pop up.

What if the roads are full of self-driving cars? (say, year 2050-ish)
Then we can have self-driving taxis!

This would require NHTSA Class 4 (fully automated self-driving) cars smart enough to be allowed to drive passengers without supervision in all weather (First self-driving cars won't be that fully automated yet, so that's why I said 2050-ish). Now imagine a legal mandate that ALL cars in a city must be self-driving capable, much like antilock brakes and traction control now is. The magic starts to happen:

Beck or Capital Taxi or Uber or Lyft or ZipCar or AutoShare or Hertz or Avis or TTC or MiWay or OCTranspo...
...all of them might pay you to borrow your owned autonomous self-driving car part-time, such as between 9:30am and 4:30pm when you're working and currently not using it. Or when you're not using it for a week. Or when you need the money. You'll be tempted to pay your car bills and your kid's college by doing this!

- What if 10,000 people did? 100,000 people? They'd be literally everywhere!
- Robotaxis would be easy, fast and cheap to hail, thanks to all the competition!
- What if apps became available that made it easy to join self-driving carpools?
("ALERT: There's a carpool nearby, with a route going near your destination. $10 SOLO, $3 CARPOOL")?
- What if that causes ownership to plummet, with cheap robo-taxis and robo-carpools filling roads.
- What if carpools became as cheap and plentiful as public transit, with short waiting times?
- What if car ownership per capita fell because of the widespread convenience of cheap self-driving taxi services?
- What if that means far fewer single-passenger cars on the road, making roads more efficient?
- What if all these cars had the equivalent of Presto readers? Tap any "available" car and tell it where you want to go?
- What if that made it possible to eliminate inefficient streetside parking, when many cars drive themselves to parking garages instead and/or simply let go to taxi other people (make profit instead of parking cost)?
- What if public transit became door-to-door on all streets thanks to robocars?
- What if you can hail anywhere and you've got a car (solo or carpooled) in a mere one or two minutes, even in surburbs?
- What if every street in a whole city, is essentially serviced by equivalent of frequent public transit, while still using fuel/electricity efficiently?
- What it suburban car ownership dramatically fell by 50%? Parking garages converted to living rooms or subdivisions?
- What if less fuel/electricity is used per capita, thanks to automated robocar carpool taxi public transit systems? (or whatever we'd like to call it!).

With more average people per car, better car utilization, no manual-only cars, fewer cars per capita as widespread door-to-door public transit reduces car ownership, no streetside parking needed, and cars safely driving closer to each other, roads and highways become far more efficient! Hail via an app, and a car arrives within a minute or two (because they're everywhere now, including parked on adjacent streets and neighbour driveways if subscribed to autotaxi services), possibly already filled with a few passengers with destinations on the same route (if you allow the cheap carpool option rather than the solo option). Then headed to nearest train/subway/brt. It would be as cheap as public transit or faster and cheaper than bus/public transit (for short trips to public transit connections). Or even all the way to work (at a bit extra cost over transit, but far cheaper than today's taxi). Inefficient empty suburban buses no longer becomes necessary when served by highly efficient door-to-door equivalents of robotic carpool minibuses that serves frequent & fast door-to-door service to the nearest super rapid transit route. Sole-occupant cars no longer become necessary for many people, when carpool transit becomes as convenient as a subway, superfast & superefficient coming to your door in a mere 1-2-3 minutes of hail even in suburban locations because tens of thousands of people permitted their cars to do robotaxi services.

New problems (e.g. sanitation, vandalism) would happen and market solutions (e.g. Petro Canada robo vaccuum/windexer to clean your car before it picks you up at work or next passenger, to things like in-cabin cameras required for vandalism coverage in car insurance). Space for parking would be replaced by space for cars waiting for nearby people for their next ride, making it super-easy to hail a nearby robocar everywhere. Congestion will still happen at peak, but passenger capacity will be dramatically higher per lane due to more efficient car utilization. Rich people will still selfishly not free up their robocars to robotaxiing. Road congestion will still be a problem at peak, but big transit (subways/trains/brt/lrts) will still exist, and robocarpools can still take you to the nearest major transit station if you don't want to walk. Suburban sprawl problems will still exist, but would be practical to live in the suburbs without owning a car! For a lot, car ownership gets too expensive, and letting your car earn money robotaxiing pays for itself. Even just 10% of population can decide to profit by giving their car into robotaxiing, and serve the rest of the 90% that don't want to bother owning a car.

This could herald invention of new door-to-door public transit, for personalized last-mile commutes; practical carpool car instead of car ownership. And even more suburbanites can give up expensive car-ownership (or just pay for it by freeing their owned robocar to robotaxi services while they are working). Robocars can immediately pick you up at the subway/commuter train/bus station -- even if it's the middle of nowhere, to an house or office location not conveniently served by a bus.

Taxi drivers would be extinct in progressive cities that did this!

Railroads 1850s, Model T-Ford 1900s, Jet airplanes 1950s, perhaps robocar 2050s will be equally as big a transportation revolution.

(NOTE: I also have a related post about self-driving cars in another thread)

Last edited:
My understanding was there was no tip. The driver got the majority of the fare with uber getting just $2.00. I heard this on the news. The way the taxi system is, the owner of the taxi permit gets it all with the drivers, i am not sure but either hourly wage so they do depend on tips. I don;t know why the public also has to compensate certain workers in the form of tips because they get paid less than min.

I was implying that Uber drivers have to report all their income since it is electronically reported and they receive no cash tips. The taxi industry which is primarily cash has less rigorous reporting of their income and some drivers may not report all their income.

Same thing for sales tax. Uber only has a base amount and all the fare is subject to HST/GST. A tip for a Taxi is generally not subject to HST/GST.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/txlmsn/menu-eng.html

So as taxpayers we should encourage a tip-less electronic society which collects more tax revenue. Let's keep Uber!

You can absolutely tip an Uber driver. Oh, and don't believe everything you hear on the news. :cool:

Anyone concerned about the planned protests and road blockages during the Panams by Toronto's taxi drivers?

I say bring out the tear gas, batons and water cannons - Uber is the best thing to have happened for taxi-like services.

I pay less, for better, more convenient service - duh.

Does the taxi industry not see that they aren't winning people over to their side? Why don't they try improving service to get lost business back? You know, clean your cab, stop driving so aggressively, offer an app. Pouting and saying how hard done by they are doesn't attract customers, good service and fair pricing does. And they wonder why people like Uber?

Anyone concerned about the planned protests and road blockages during the Panams by Toronto's taxi drivers?

I say bring out the tear gas, batons and water cannons - Uber is the best thing to have happened for taxi-like services.

I pay less, for better, more convenient service - duh.

They certainly aren't earning any favours with those veiled threats. My issue is less with the cabbies (safety/business practices aside) than cab companies/license holders, and I don't have any issue of razing those to the ground. That said, Uber should be regulated.

AoD

Anyone tried Beck's app?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beck.android.becktaxi&hl=en

I have to give them credit for offering an app alternative to Uber.

Here is why the Beck app is complete garbage:

- It doesn't use any mapping or tracking software, and all you get is a cab car # after placing an order
- nowhere does it say how long ago you ordered, or how far away your ride is
- while the app doesn't track a driver's location, it tracks yours. That is bizarre enough on its own, but factor in that the app doesn't even show locations and it is just downright pointless.
- to make matters worse, the app tracks your position constantly, hours after a ride is completed. The only way to stop the tracking is to restart your phone.

TL;DR

The Beck app offers no advantages over picking up a phone and calling a cab, in fact it is a much less user-friendly experience.

For me, at the end of the day, it comes down to price.

Cab from King/Bay to my house - $30, Uber for the same route - $15-18

For me, at the end of the day, it comes down to price.
Not only that, but bad/aggressive/rude drivers are filtered out of the system. 9 times out of 10, I prefer the driver and vehicle of Uber to a taxi. As a pedestrian and cyclist, I've rarely noticed an Uber driver stopped in the bike lane, making crazy turns, jumping the green to turn right, etc. As a pedestrian and cyclist, I find taxis to be the scourge of the road. Good riddance to them.

While I don't think there's anything wrong with the current taxi system per se, I think the introduction of Uber is a wake-up call to the taxi service industry as a whole. Hopefully the additional competition will force existing businesses to improve their image, provide better customer service and offer more incentives (tangible or intangible) for customers to use their services over another transportation service.

Not only that, but bad/aggressive/rude drivers are filtered out of the system. 9 times out of 10, I prefer the driver and vehicle of Uber to a taxi. As a pedestrian and cyclist, I've rarely noticed an Uber driver stopped in the bike lane, making crazy turns, jumping the green to turn right, etc. As a pedestrian and cyclist, I find taxis to be the scourge of the road. Good riddance to them.
Uber drivers are rated by passengers, and if a driver drops below 4 starts, they get the boot. That gives the driver incentive to drive safely and keep their vehicle clean.
Passengers are also rated, which improves their behaviour too.

Back