News   Apr 24, 2024
 982     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 629     0 

Leslieville / Studio District

Two new spots have opened right at Dundas & Carlaw. On the south-east corner (in the Flat Iron building) is The Blackout Lounge. Kitty-corner in the former Lolabar spot is the appropriately titled Dundas & Carlaw. Both are operating on the European coffee shop by day, bar by night premise which is a bit refreshing for Toronto.

I don't know if the corner can handle two such joints, but time will tell!

Last edited:
The strip is gentrifying and I'm happy to see the sidewalks thronging with ever-larger groups of people. In a way it reminds me of Queen West in the late 70s, particularly what the stretch between Spadina and Bathurst and beyond used to look like, feel like... it was a place brimming with latent potential and the giddy surge of accelerating change, far more than the vibe of a fully-realized strip already having arrived. In any case, what Queen East feels like now is a welcome change from what it was throughout the 80s and 90s and earlier in the new millenium... it's been a long time coming.

That said, there isn't the profusion of high-rise condo towers that you find in the west end. Queen St, in both Riverside and Leslieville, is definitely more vital, but the seething hordes of people just aren't there - not yet, anyway. I can sense it coming, though. The startling changes along the Don, the recent news re Jilly's, the verticality and added density along Carlaw (especially at Dundas), the promise of the simply humongous Lever Ponds site, the coming developments along under-populated Eastern Avenue... yeah, it's happening. In another five to ten years it's going to be a completely different place - mostly for the better. Then there's the notion of a downtown relief line making an appearance at Pape or Carlaw... oh yeah, the hordes are coming. Bring it on, I say.

Meantime, over the short term, it's a coagulated, dusty, frustrating mess. Once the TTC gets its tracks down along Leslie and the new facility at Lakeshore is finished, things ought to get better.

Queen streetcar is being diverted big time and there are also buses and are running and having to divert around the Queen Leslie intersection. As well as Queen and Victoria closure which should be starting soon if not already.

A shot of one of the destroyed homes. Such a cool little tucked-away street, too.

kxYvt7RWrLXN09YN

Attachments

• MintoFire-Aug4-14.jpg
    MintoFire-Aug4-14.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 624
Carlaw between Dundas and Queen is finally being re-paved this week. It's been in horrible shape for years and they were waiting for some watermain work and the Showcase Condos to be completed before proceeding. Well here we are.

I'm not sure if it will happen this week as well, but the following is also slated to happen over the next year...
  • A new pedestrian crosswalk (across Carlaw) just north of Colgate Ave
  • Moving the Badgerow TTC stop to Dundas proper
  • Descreasing the street width of Colgate (as it was designed for trucks going into the Colgate Factory) and landscaping Colgate Ave with wider medians
  • A new city-owned parkette at Dundas/Carlaw on the "flatiron"-like parcel of land just north of Dundas, south of Dickens on the west side of Carlaw.

Back