Toronto Leslie Barns | ?m | ?s | TTC | SAI

Hillcrest would still be the main base for bus overhaul and maintenance, and you can bet that Bombardier will make a play to outsource the maintenance of the new car fleet if there's a round of penny-pinching to cut costs at the TTC. The TTC's internal maintenance resources could be assumed by Bombardier and a minimal crew could remain within the TTC to work on the old fleet until it's gone. Harvey Shops could consolidate some of the maintenance work that's being done the garages.
Given the cost of land and the high cost overruns of building new storage barns, probably safe to keep Hillcrest as a backup in case the fleet expands more and Leslie/Roncesvalles are filled.

Isn't Leslie barns supposed to be wired for pantographs only?
I think that if a street (or barn) is wired for pantographs it is also suitable for trolley poles - the reverse is not always the same and the problem areas are the 'junctions". So, the Barns are wired for pantographs but cars with poles would be fine too. (Though I doubt we will see any CLRVs there.)

There is still no colour on these highway barrier noise walls like we saw in the renderings. I swear to god they better not have nixed it or else...

22196839394_745094d99c_h.jpg

22196838744_91d69d6f37_h.jpg

Old news, but the new tracks on Leslie are done.

22830770331_a79c7d1c5a_h.jpg

Is that an actual fact, or is it the pessimist in you? (not to say that your inner pessimist doesn't have reason to be pessimistic)

Sorry not an actual fact but just pessimism. Probably done to save money. Too many examples around this city for me not to be surprised.

Problem on these projects is that the budget is approved without consideration for these kinds of things, The project gets approved, and then mid-design Councillors ask for add-ons that the TTC acquiesces to, but then the City barks at them for going over budget.

The TTC is already very strapped on budgets and the City won't give them more $$ support, so frankly it's not fair to burden their budgets with beautification...you can't say the system is in bad shape, not give them money, and then demand they bend to Councillors' will on beautification. I know people will harp on me for saying that design is important - but it's not the core function of the TTC, and when they have a limited budget to deal with, they should be covering their core needs as a primary focus.

If the missing features were in the original drawings and images provided by TTC why are you blaming Councillors for mid-design asks?

Best thing they could do to beautify it is simply to remove most of the wall.

Mr. Byford, Tear Down This Wall

I noticed today that they have now paved the new (replacement) bike path between Commissioners Street and Lake Shore except for the last 10 metres or so at Lake Shore. I assume it will not open until next spring when the rest of the landscaping on the east side of Leslie will apparently be finished but it's a good sign.

Yes - Paula Fletcher said at the Leslieville BIA tree lighting ceremony that all the streetcars are being relocated to Leslie Barns between midnight on Saturday and 5am on Sunday morning - that should be fun to watch

Here's the official release:

TTC's new streetcar facility to enter service this Sunday

November 20, 2015

This Sun., Nov. 22, the TTC's new low-floor streetcars will begin operating out of Leslie Barns, the TTC's new streetcar facility at the corner of Leslie St. and Lake Shore Blvd. E. The Barns is still under construction and won't be fully occupied by the TTC until early next year.

The state-of-art 26,000 square metre facility has 30 streetcar service bays and will provide maintenance for the entire fleet of 204 new streetcars. It will also store and dispatch 100 new streetcars daily. The TTC currently has two streetcar carhouses. Roncesvalles Carhouse will store 60 new streetcars and Russell Carhouse will store 40 vehicles.

Leslie Barns has one of the largest green roofs in Toronto and an on-site storm water management pond. The facility will also be the site for all streetcar operator and maintenance training.

In addition to track construction on Leslie St., which includes specially designed tracks to minimize noise and vibration, extensive utility upgrades and the replacement of century-old watermains and sewers were also completed during construction. Streetscaping improvements on Leslie St. and Queen St. E. include new streetlights and wider sidewalks, plantings and landscaping around the Barns and along Leslie and Queens Sts., and will be complete next spring.

"The TTC has been eagerly anticipating the opening and operation of Leslie Barns. It is a much-needed facility that will service and store our new streetcars for years to come," said TTC Chair Josh Colle. "I would personally like to thank all the local residents who have been patiently dealing with the construction of the facility and tracks surrounding their homes and businesses."

An official opening of Leslie Barns will take place in early 2016.

This short video gives viewers a sense of what's inside the new Leslie Barns.

Back