News   Mar 28, 2024
 670     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 936     0 

LCBO / The Beer Store

Should the LCBO be deregulated?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Our LCBO stores are few and far between so of course there is going to long line ups as well at the beer stores. What i miss about living in NY every grocery store and every gas station and every convenience store sells beer, as well as private liquor stores on every corner and in strip malls.

I dunno, the LCBOs aren't on every corner, but they're hardly few and far between unless you're in the suburbs. There are 33 LCBO stores downtown. Where do you live?!

I always stock up on beer and wine when i'm in new york state one reason i save money and they also carry a lot of wines and beers you can't get in Ontario.

I don't understand why you'd look to a different country for an example of how deregulation affects alcohol retail. Look to Alberta, they did it. While they can now get liquor at the corner store, they're paying more for less selection.

I voted yes not because of some ideological reason (ie privatization) but because I have a serious ethical issue with a government entity that both promotes (and sells) alcohol consumption and then seeks to regulate it. I also have an issue with the lack of convenience. Why should I not be able to buy beer, wine and spirits with my groceries? Heck, wine is already sold at Loblaws. Why not allow them to sell other spirits and beer as well? The government can still generate revenue from a sin tax on alcohol. And it'll take just a bit of effort to ensure that laws against sales to minors are enforced.

Edit: I guess my vote could be a NO too. I just despise the current setup....

Last edited:
Strictly speaking, Loblaws doesn't sell wine in Ontario. The wine rack-type stores are grandfathered winery licenses.

I dunno, the LCBOs aren't on every corner, but they're hardly few and far between unless you're in the suburbs. There are 33 LCBO stores downtown. Where do you live?!

Yes i live in the suburbs!

I don't understand why you'd look to a different country for an example of how deregulation affects alcohol retail. Look to Alberta, they did it. While they can now get liquor at the corner store, they're paying more for less selection.

How about Quebec? you can get beer in the supermarkets there and it's cheaper than Ontario beers and lots of selection. Even if i had to pay a few bucks more to buy my beer at supermarket the convenience would more than make up for it, i bet for most people living in ontario would agree.

Ontarians easy to spot at the Gatineau Costco. They're the ones buying carloads of cheap suds http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/475123

Last edited by a moderator:

That's great if you have a car. Many people downtown don't have cars which makes this really inconvenient for many. Say you live at Queen and Parliament. Where's the nearest store? St Lawrence Market, Yonge and Dundas or Parliament and Wellesley? Hardly convenient.

That's great if you have a car. Many people downtown don't have cars which makes this really inconvenient for many. Say you live at Queen and Parliament. Where's the nearest store? St Lawrence Market, Yonge and Dundas or Parliament and Wellesley? Hardly convenient.

How about Parliament and Gerrard? That's only a 5 minute drunken stagger away.

Re: Suburbs. Everything in the suburbs is few and far between. Why do people expect purchasing alcohol to be easier than purchasing food?

How about Parliament and Gerrard? That's only a 5 minute drunken stagger away.

There is an LCBO @ Parliament & Gerrard?
At the very least, we should let private companies compete with the LCBO a la Quebec.

At the very least, we should let private companies compete with the LCBO a la Quebec.

There are more LCBOs than non-discount grocery stores downtown.

I think Beer and lower-alcohol-content drinks (like, say, under 8%) should be able to be sold at corner stores.

I don't think spirits and higher-alcohol-content drinks should be so readily available.

Nope unless they opened one recently. There's beer store but it doesn't stock vodka.

Same issue with returning bottles only to the Beer Store. I live in the St Lawrence Market area so buying booze is easy. But returning the empty bottles? The closet Beer stores are at Sherbourne and Gerrard or Queen and River. Again hardly convenient. I basically lose my deposit because I can't be bothered to go that far just to return the bottles.

Nope unless they opened one recently. There's beer store but it doesn't stock vodka.

Go look :)

Same issue with returning bottles only to the Beer Store. I live in the St Lawrence Market area so buying booze is easy. But returning the empty bottles? The closet Beer stores are at Sherbourne and Gerrard or Queen and River. Again hardly convenient. I basically lose my deposit because I can't be bothered to go that far just to return the bottles.

The deposit is pretty minimal, so it's not as if you're losing big bucks with your laziness ;) The Beer Store at Queen and River is only a 3 or 4 minute walk from Queen & Parliament. I bet you could cover that distance in 2 minutes with one of those scooters for people who don't like walking.

Go look :)

The deposit is pretty minimal, so it's not as if you're losing big bucks with your laziness ;) The Beer Store at Queen and River is only a 3 or 4 minute walk from Queen & Parliament. I bet you could cover that distance in 2 minutes with one of those scooters for people who don't like walking.

Read my post again. I live at Front and Church.

Read my post again. I live at Front and Church.

Sorry, you keep throwing locations out - I wasn't sure where you actually were.

You could try the Gerrard and Bleecker Beer Store. Is that still too far? That looks like it would take you about 8 minutes on your lazy-scooter. Maybe 12 with your feet. Is this really a hardship!? I thought you guys liked walking. If not, buy a car like me and spend the saved time at the gym :)

Last edited:
The LCBO says it's at Parliament and Gerrard. Either way we're talking a difference of 2 minutes walking.

You should not have to walk from Queen to Winchester (that's where it is, I live across the street) to get wine. That's more than a 5 minute walk, closer to 10. I do it often. In this weather it's enough to make you say "fuggid, I'll go without". I work beside the globe and mail, and the closest LCBO is in First Canadian Place or on Spadina, just south of College. Great, and that's smack in the middle of downtown.

Also, the argument that "it makes money for the province" is bogus. Should the province run everything that makes money? Perhaps they should distribute smokes out of the LCBO, i mean it would keep them away from kids, and lord knows they make cash. Why not a monopoly on petrol? Think of the revenue!

I like the LCBO, but it's mandate has run out. It was the control board, but now it actively markets liquor. If it's only reason is to make money for the government, I say, let someone else make that money.

Lastly, the situation with the Beer Store is a joke. I only go there now when they're open later than the LCBO, due to the lackluster (that's being as polite as i can be about it) service.

Back