News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 759     0 

LCBO / The Beer Store

Should the LCBO be deregulated?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What is an LCBO pop up store? Will it be inside of the Metro or in one of the other empty units?

I'm sure, you know in general terms what a 'pop up' is...(ie. a temporary store, opened for a limited time to either showcase a product/store or market-test it).

In terms of the LCBO I have no more info than that. I did google it, out of curiosity and the only reference I see is them having done a pop-up LCBO as part of some festival in Ottawa last year.

I got the term (in this context) off the 'doingbusinesswithlcbo' website. Which has a 'new store openings' section and lists this store, as a pop-up. I didn't see a street address/unit number, but that may be my oversight.

I wonder if it means that they've taken out a lease for a year (or maybe even more) at Westlake, but the unit is not large enough to be their longterm Humber Bay Shores store, so as soon as they can move into a permanent unit, they will.

Waterscapes likely has a large enough unit already available, so since they're not moving in there now, they're not moving in there at all. I doubt Lago, Riva del Lago, Cove at Waterways, Waterways, or Jade, all under construction now, have a space large enough for a permanent LCBO for the area, but there are three other spaces that might do it:
  1. The current Key West sales centre, just to the north, and already built. Maybe when Times doesn't need it anymore, the LCBO goes there.
  2. Eau du Soleil will have quite a bit of retail—but that might be 4 years from being ready.
  3. Westlake Encore. Going up now, the retail here could be ready in 2 years. Is there a big enough spot? Not certain, but if they've made a deal with Onni for a pop-up in the first phase, Onni will want them to on a permanent basis if they can.
The LCBO's a great catch for any landlord.

However, some still think prohibition should continue.
carrie-nation.jpg

Didn't see a dedicated thread for Beer in supermarkets, so I thought I'd tack this on here.

Was just in one of the Loblaws that carries beer (Vic. Park/Gerrard) and they are expanding their capacity/selection by about 9 fold.

Its also all moving into fridges, so 100% chilled. I gather from staff this will be new standard format for all Loblaws carrying beer.

I was at Metro in Guelph yesterday. They have their freezer near the front of the store. It was stocked with mostly craft beers, which was nice to see. They had a few six packs of the macro crap as well. Hopefully in time they will expand the beer selection. More variety of six packs would be nice, since they can't sell 12 or 24 packs unfortunately. They had the hours posted when you can buy beer too. Monday to Saturday from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m Sunday 11 am to 6 pm, :rolleyes: And you have to use one of the checkouts with a "Beer Lane" sign. Out of the eight checkouts, four them were "Beer Lanes"

It was busy too, the U of G is near by. I saw a lot of students stocking up on beer, chips, pop for St Paddy's day parties. What i liked about it, it was one stop shop. i got some groceries, beer, and a bottle of Merlot at the Wine Shop. And I didn't see any anarchy on the streets either. I would like to see the grocery stores have their own bottle return machines someday. That way i don't have to deal with stinky dirty Beer Stores and their grouchy employees.

The woman at the cash said that Metro is the only grocery store Guelph allowed to sell beer. Which is kind of silly for a city that size. But this is just the start. Eventually people are going to demand beer be sold in all grocery stores, like the rest of the modern world.

I was at Metro in Guelph yesterday. They have their freezer near the front of the store. It was stocked with mostly craft beers, which was nice to see. They had a few six packs of the macro crap as well. Hopefully in time they will expand the beer selection. More variety of six packs would be nice, since they can't sell 12 or 24 packs unfortunately. They had the hours posted when you can buy beer too. Monday to Saturday from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m Sunday 11 am to 6 pm, :rolleyes: And you have to use one of the checkouts with a "Beer Lane" sign. Out of the eight checkouts, four them were "Beer Lanes"

It was busy too, the U of G is near by. I saw a lot of students stocking up on beer, chips, pop for St Paddy's day parties. What i liked about it, it was one stop shop. i got some groceries, beer, and a bottle of Merlot at the Wine Shop. And I didn't see any anarchy on the streets either. I would like to see the grocery stores have their own bottle return machines someday. That way i don't have to deal with stinky dirty Beer Stores and their grouchy employees.

The woman at the cash said that Metro is the only grocery store Guelph allowed to sell beer. Which is kind of silly for a city that size. But this is just the start. Eventually people are going to demand beer be sold in all grocery stores, like the rest of the modern world.

The number of stores will be extended, I believe it was 70 approved in the first round, across the province. The next round will be at least as big, and the auction for licenses is May, I think. Which put roll out over the summer some time.

The Sunday hours are plain stupid. Nominally they are imposed by the AGCO, however, in practice, when the LCBO wants to be open longer, the hours seem to change.

I believe the LCBO still pays a significant Sunday premium to staff, which is why they aren't overly enthused about opening longer on Sundays.

Didn't see a dedicated thread for Beer in supermarkets, so I thought I'd tack this on here.
Was just in one of the Loblaws that carries beer (Vic. Park/Gerrard) and they are expanding their capacity/selection by about 9 fold.
Its also all moving into fridges, so 100% chilled. I gather from staff this will be new standard format for all Loblaws carrying beer.
Great to hear and what I suspected. Leslie/Lake Shore is basically two end caps currently. It's pitifully small.

It's got to be quite the juggling act space-wise at stores for new products, and when a whole new category of items suddenly arrives, figuring out what to give up, or how to better use the space has got to be quite the conundrum for lots of store managers.

It's got to be quite the juggling act space-wise at stores for new products, and when a whole new category of items suddenly arrives, figuring out what to give up, or how to better use the space has got to be quite the conundrum for lots of store managers.

They'll usually stop stocking certain products over time as they gather more metrics on what their customers buy.

From what I understand, having spoken to staff, on busy days (typically weekend) the beer section had to be refilled between 4-6 times by staff during the sales hours.

That is, needless to say, greatly in excess if the typical section of shelving.

Back