News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 723     0 

LCBO / The Beer Store

Should the LCBO be deregulated?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
new LCBO opening February 10th, a couple units down from Duke' Cycle on Queen West (619)

They can only legally sell it until 6pm on Sundays though. One step forward two steps back.

The 6pm rule nominally comes from the AGCO.

As a purely practical matter the AGCO seems very open to change when the gov't/LCBO would like it to.

I suspect this rules remains because the LCBO still pays a hefty Sunday shift premium; and so doesn't want to operate longer hours on Sundays, and therefore
doesn't wish it competitors to either.

This is, of course, ridiculous. I don't happen to minder higher wages at the LCBO, but in this day and age, one cannot pay shift-premiums for
Sundays for retail staff.

You simply make it a condition of employment that you are available for certain days.

Everyone can have 2 consecutive days off, each week, one of which can be Saturday OR Sunday. Workers can be given a lump sum payout for ending the premium or the hourly rate can be raise by an equivalent sum (across all hours of work).

Everyone can have 2 consecutive days off, each week, one of which can be Saturday OR Sunday. Workers can be given a lump sum payout for ending the premium or the hourly rate can be raise by an equivalent sum (across all hours of work).

Does that include part-timers? Or could part-timers be forced to work 7 days a week, but part-time?

^^ particularly if you have ever bought beer at a corner store or grocery store pretty much anywhere else in the world. Why do we have to make it so complicated?

Apparently you can only buy the beer at a designated cash aisle as well. The red tape surrounding this is hilariously mind boggling.

Yeah, I bought beer at the Leslie Street Loblaws for the first time this past weekend. First, I was surprised by the tiny selection. Second, yes one can only buy beer at a designated cash, where the cashier has Smart Serve training. Half the cash aisles were designated for beer, but it was Saturday around 11:30 a.m. I wonder what the situation would be at, say, a Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.

Agree that they have managed to smother this initiative in red tape.

Yeah, I bought beer at the Leslie Street Loblaws for the first time this past weekend. First, I was surprised by the tiny selection. Second, yes one can only buy beer at a designated cash, where the cashier has Smart Serve training. Half the cash aisles were designated for beer, but it was Saturday around 11:30 a.m. I wonder what the situation would be at, say, a Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.

Agree that they have managed to smother this initiative in red tape.
My favourite is in the Metro at Park Lawn/Lake Shore, the automated cashier lanes are 'beer' lanes as well, with a smart serve person standing around....

I'm still not sure what the purpose of this red tape is, but hey - this is why our booze costs so much.

Hide the beer in plastic bags. Then be sure to pass those 6 bottle beer cases to those teenagers in the parking lot, out of sight of the security cameras. Since the grocery stores can't sell 24+ bottle cases, they made it easy for the teenagers to get the beer.

That is much easier than the alternative for those under legal drinking age: booking a flight to Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City (formerly known as Saigon), given that Vietnam is among the very few countries in the world that don't have a legal drinking age (one can legally drink upon being born and purchase alcohol once one learns how to handle money). Children can easily purchase alcohol on the streets of Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City, no questions asked and no need to hide from authorities.

No wonder why Ho Chi Minh City is a major tourist city and drunk prepubescent children are commonplace.

Drunk driving is perfectly legal in some African countries.

Last edited:
My favourite is in the Metro at Park Lawn/Lake Shore, the automated cashier lanes are 'beer' lanes as well, with a smart serve person standing around....

I'm still not sure what the purpose of this red tape is, but hey - this is why our booze costs so much.
Your favourite? Haven't they only started selling beer for about a week at that location?

LCBO Yonge/Wellesley is re-opening on February 25th.

Also an LCBO 'pop up' is coming to Park Lawn/Lake Shore.

Back