News   Apr 19, 2024
 397     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 576     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 962     3 

LCBO Moves - Rumoured and confirmed

According to the call for bids I saw last week, the College Park store will be 5,000 sq. ft., and the target opening date is April 2015.

And it'll probably be a new concept too! Should look great!

Does it meet the street or is it inside?

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4W 2L7

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 266851 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Dec 22, 2014

Project: Retail Store Interior Alterations

Description: Interior alterations to the existing "Summerhill LCBO" for addtional retail sales area. Proposal includes new partitioning for the expansion of retail sales area into previious warehouse /stock area. Also included is related mechanical and electrical work.

Not sure if this belongs in the LCBO thread or the Mississauga thread or another thread, but regardless, here it is.

So I was at my local No Frills today, and I figured I'd just ask someone after pondering this question for a few months.

I asked this older (maybe 40s?) lady who works there if she had heard about how the government was looking at opening some LCBO Expresses and she immediately says "yes we're getting one". This is the No Frills at Creditview & Britannia in Mississauga. Our closest LCBOs are at Heartland and Streetsville, both about 2 km away, and we are in one of the "underserved" areas targeted by the govt/LCBO when they made that announcement last year.

So the news doesn't surprise me, but does make me happy.

I had thought that they removed a couple of the checkout lanes at the store to make room for it, although the lady said no, that they were doing that at a lot of the stores.

I think maybe one is going at the Madison development on Eglinton east of Yonge is getting an LCBO, according to:
http://www.madisoncondos.ca/index1.html#/retail-space

But that makes me wonder about the space in Y&E center, which is very much a prime space, it would be odd to give that up

Not sure why the LCBO would close the Yonge Eglinton Centre location just because another is opening up a couple of block east. Both should function just fine.

The LCBO and all other retail at Yonge/Wellesley are closed. LCBO says "closed for renovations". Wonder if they are expanding into the other units. This location desperately needed a reno.

The new College Park LCBO is scheduled to open on March 27. (http://www.doingbusinesswithlcbo.com/shared/storeopenings/646.pdf) I am not expecting the new design they have on Queen East (which seems directly inspired by the SAQ); their new stores seem to all have the old design.

Speaking of which, I have just returned from a week in Bromont, Québec, a city of about 8,000 people, with a much dimmer view of the LCBO after visiting the local SAQ store. The selection was stunning and vastly superior to what we get here, except in the larger stores. They had an Enomatic wine tasting station that clients use with a card they can purchase at the cash. I found two kinds of poire william, a spirit that is really common place but very difficult to find in Ontario. I had a similar experience in grocery stores in the area: a much better selection of foods (ground horse meat!), and better kept stores. It's depressing.

Last edited:
Don't mean to tread on Androiduk's turf, but I see there are plans to demolish the LCBO at the top of Coxwell Avenue.

Application: Demolition Folder (DM)
Ward 31: Beaches-East York
Application#: 14 266185 DEM 00 DM
Issued Date: Feb 25, 2015
Project: Retail Store Demolition
Description: Proposal to demolish existing one storey retail store

(Apologies if this has already been discussed in this thread - I didn't see a discussion)

Does anyone know if this store is moving? Being rebuilt to resemble a retail outlet from this century? Or simply closing?

Regardless of outcome, not sure anyone will miss the 1970s-liquor-control type architecture.

That strip of Coxwell south of O'Connor is becoming a nice little hub. Appears to be a classic case of the Starbucks-effect.

coxwell.jpg

Attachments

• coxwell.jpg
    coxwell.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 1,032
Crap. Looked again, and did see this post by Northern Light in Oct., which I missed the first time.

Finally, the LCBO is moving to replace perhaps its worst Toronto-area store for age/appearance (though not selection/size); Coxwell/O'Connor.

The tender is currently on the LCBO website, with a closing date of Nov 14 for a 12,000sq ft replacement store.

There is an incongruity in that the actual documents state construction to be begin October 1, completion in April 2015, which clearly does not make sense based on the current tender close.

I believe this is the result of the tender having gone through more than one iteration.

I would assume (but don't know) that current plan will be for closure early in the new year with opening mid-summer.

Application: Sign Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 15 129863 SGN 00 SP Accepted Date: Mar 19, 2015

Project: First Party New

Description: To erect and display one illuminated wall sign. **LCBO**

Back