Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Right, but I think that way of looking at it strawmans the issue. Whether the crane still being up is ground zero for the problem or whether it's a symptom, the fact of the matter is that there is a problem, and after some time that itself becomes unacceptable. In other words, what's in dispute here isn't the fact of there being a problem--whatever precisely that problem is--but whether by this point there should be one at all.

Problems always involve something that's unacceptable, and in fact that's what a problem is: something that isn't what we want it to be…

…but declaring something to be unacceptable, and expecting that someone will suddenly jump on it just because you or we corporately are not happy, will leave you even more disappointed. The developer would already know that this is bruising their reputation, but beyond that, they aren't going to care much if this has been deemed "unacceptable" by a casual observer, compared to how much they already have to worry about staunching the bleeding of construction funds. That's reason enough to get this done as soon as they can.

So what, pray tell, is the straw man?

I referred to the straw man in my original post. Assuming you're familiar with the term, it's the apparent assumption in your initial post that objectors in this thread are hung up on whether the continued existence of the crane is the problem, or whether it's a symptom of the problem. But this distinction mischaracterizes--weakens--the original objection because this objection, as I said originally, isn't about what in fact the real problem is but that there continues to be a (significant) problem at all.

Regardless, and here I speak only for my self, I don't expect anything I say here to have any influence whatsoever on how any builder in Toronto, or anywhere, operates. So raising that issue, or raising the related point that for this reason no builder will change given what I say in this thread, is, again, orthogonal to the original objection: that L Tower's construction indicates considerable incompetence.

As a causal observer, I reasonably don't expect any more from my comments and for that reason my comments can't reasonably be evaluated as if I do.

The esplanade is sealed off from yonge. Are they finally taking out the crane?
Dream on! It's for Backstage cladding:

http://ltowerconstructioninfo.com/

This the construction schedule for 1 The Esplanade, Backstage condominium – for August 22 – 28, 2015.

NOTE: Please note that temporary crane work and cladding work on the Backstage tower will be occurring from Monday, August 24 through Wednesday September 2.

The road closure will occur only on weekdays and will affect the eastbound traffic lane between Yonge Street and the east entrance to the Toronto Parking Authority garage and the south side pedestrian walkway.

Pedestrians will have full use of the north sidewalk on The Esplanade from Scott Street to Yonge Street.

Monday August 24 is expected to be a full day closure from 7 am to as late as 7 pm. The balance of the time from August 25 through September 2 it is expected the eastbound traffic lane will be open for the afternoon rush hour.
Road closure permits for August 24 and August 25 – September 2: Permit Access Mast – August 24 Permit Access Mast 8 days – August 25 – September 2

What's with the grass lawn in the landscaping? This feels dated to me, and it may look pretty and green in the rendering but I think we know how it'll end up. No, urban spaces should be walkable in fancy shoes. The hard edges can be softened in many more creative ways.

A vantage point not seen here before.

IMG_6425.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6425.JPG
    IMG_6425.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,851
The external crane at the L Tower (seen below) has one more major job to do, lifting a temporary crane apparatus (pictured below) to the top of the building. Once there, the temporary crane will be used to put the permanent window washing platform in place. When this work is completed the large tower crane will be taken down. We will be providing updates on this here as information becomes available.

temporary-crane-detail-at-l-tower-september-11-2015.jpg
temporary-crane-section-at-l-tower-september-11-2015.jpg

http://ltowerconstructioninfo.com/

Attachments

• temporary-crane-detail-at-l-tower-september-11-2015.jpg
    temporary-crane-detail-at-l-tower-september-11-2015.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 1,491
  • temporary-crane-section-at-l-tower-september-11-2015.jpg
    temporary-crane-section-at-l-tower-september-11-2015.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 1,550
I appreciate the "design" of the building, but the materials used to finish it are so cheap looking. Anytime I look at it, all I can think is ... "ugh, it looks like a giant plastic mcdonalds toy". If only they'd used some proper materials.

Back