Toronto 2150 Lake Shore | 215.75m | 67s | First Capital | Allies and Morrison

I'm interested to see what happens here. Will have a huge impact on the community one way or another.

Hope that there is indeed a rumour. Otherwise it is just evil if u start this rumour...

The waterfront trail ends at Bathurst. Then you have to dodge car traffic the rest of the way into the core. For joy rides sure, but it's not safe or practical for daily commutes, especially in the winter months. And the commute by bicycle isn't 15 minutes, it's more like 40-60 minutes. Plus offices don't have showers, everyone will complain about each other being smelly and unhygienic.

The 15 minute estimate from Parklawn to Downtown was way off, especially for a casual (ie not-spandex-clad) cyclist. But when Queen's Quay is done, the bikeway will extend right through, and offices in Southcore and even the Financial District won't be too far away. If Simcoe becomes a two-way cycling street and the Richmond-Adelaide cycle route is installed, it'll be quite safe.

A nearly sweat-free ride on a hybrid/city bike would be 30-45 minutes. Not too bad!

The 15 minute estimate from Parklawn to Downtown was way off, especially for a casual (ie not-spandex-clad) cyclist. But when Queen's Quay is done, the bikeway will extend right through, and offices in Southcore and even the Financial District won't be too far away. If Simcoe becomes a two-way cycling street and the Richmond-Adelaide cycle route is installed, it'll be quite safe.

A nearly sweat-free ride on a hybrid/city bike would be 30-45 minutes. Not too bad!

Jeez some of you bike slowly!

Jeez some of you bike slowly!

Google estimates 39 minutes from Park Lawn Road to King and York - 11 kilometes - by bike. I find Google's time estimates pretty close - it's based on a casual cycling speed and assuming red lights, stop signs and all that - average about 17 km/h.

Last edited:
Google estimates 39 minutes from Park Lawn Road to King and York - 11 kilometes - by bike. I find Google's time estimates pretty close - it's based on a casual cycling speed and assuming red lights, stop signs and all that - average about 17 km/h.

From just west of Park Lawn to Harbourfront Centre, it takes me on average about 20-25 minutes. There are no lights for the majority of the route as you're wizzing on a dedicated path.

From just west of Park Lawn to Harbourfront Centre, it takes me on average about 20-25 minutes. There are no lights for the majority of the route as you're wizzing on a dedicated path.

I guess that's true - the extra 14-19 minutes accounts for getting up to King Street and it overestimates the time for a relatively fit cyclist on a road bike. I bike the Martin Goodman trail usually on weekends and I am slower than your experience partly because of all the others on the trail - joggers, families, slow cyclists, etc. (I then sometimes go on to Hamilton, an 85 km day ride, so it's not as if I'm out of shape.) It would be a lot smoother in a weekday morning commute!

I guess that's true - the extra 14-19 minutes accounts for getting up to King Street and it overestimates the time for a relatively fit cyclist on a road bike. I bike the Martin Goodman trail usually on weekends and I am slower than your experience partly because of all the others on the trail - joggers, families, slow cyclists, etc. (I then sometimes go on to Hamilton, an 85 km day ride, so it's not as if I'm out of shape.) It would be a lot smoother in a weekday morning commute!

The problem with the path is that the portion in HBS (west of Humber) is too narrow and shared with pedestrians. They're looking into a solution, but there's no room, unless their plan is to uproot trees.

I'm gonna miss biking until it gets warmer. :(

Anybody get a chance to attend the town hall meeting last night with Mark Grimes to discuss the future of this site? Wondering what i missed . . . . .

Back