Toronto 2150 Lake Shore | 215.75m | 67s | First Capital | Allies and Morrison

^^I agree that the cookie factory was increasingly out of place. I would not say the same for the food terminal, primarily because it is north of the gardiner without good lake access, and not surrounded by a neighbourhood that makes it seem out of place. I'm not saying it will never go, but my understanding is that losing the Food Terminal would have a significant impact on our food supply, particularly green grocers.

I also wanted to say 27 condo towers on this site is ******* crazy. I feel really sorry for riders on the 501 streetcar. First Mirvish and now this. Something HAS to break.

Not only transit but also even more cars on the already over crowded Gardiner. Jobs are needed they could use some of the land for a mix use office complex along with the condos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love buildings and highrises but obviously 27 towers on 28 acres is retarded

I agree. It seems like it would be a pretty big feat to even accomplish, but even then given the nature of the site it comes across as a bad idea.

I also wanted to say 27 condo towers on this site is ******* crazy. I feel really sorry for riders on the 501 streetcar. First Mirvish and now this. Something HAS to break.

If they do go for 7,000 units....

7,000 units divided by 27 buildings = 259 units per building

say 10 units per floor = 25 floors more or less (example ICE - 647 units 65 floors)

Poetially 27 buildings 25 floors each - Will never happen.

(unless some are very tall)

Actually there is precedent for a project close to this size in the GTA, other than Cityplace.
That being Parkside Village; http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/parkside-village-phase-i - with 6,000 residents on 30 acres in 15 highrises and 10 lowrises. At least this site has higher level transit and is directly adjacent to a commuter transit line.

As for Cityplace,

I have to see it to believe it! How in the world are they even thinking of putting 27 towers on a site that's about half the size of City Place?? I can't envision how tightly they'd have to be packed.

there are 22 condo towers in Cityplace, which has twice the land area. I seriously doubt that this will be 27 condo towers. 12 condo towers on the other hand, quite possibly.

Cityplace is 44 acres but 20 acres of that is parkland, which means those 22 towers and 6,000+ residents(the lowest figure I've seen) occupy 24 acres.

But don't get me wrong I don't support this level of density. More than likely its as TOareaFan stated, throw out some large numbers have it knocked down a little to say 5,000 residents in 20 buildings and come away laughing.

Ok let me say as lower seniority employee(at this plant) I certainly don't have 10 months to find other employment. I'll be lucky if I make it till Christmas, the company will start shifting production to other plants then I'm out as well as 100+ other coworkers. So 10 months is for the most senior people working there.

The area the plant was built makes perfect sense, It was a marshy camp ground long ago. It had rail line access as well as highway access, there wasn't much property south of lakeshore blvd in the 1940 as the lake was only couple metres away and you were close to the city core.

Last edited:
It's very unfortunate with the amount of jobs being lost in this area - it's turning into one gigantic vertical bedroom community.

The loss of the SNC Lavalin building was unfortunate, but the loss of Christie's and the remainder of the offices along Park Lawn is catastrophic. Onni even had the gall to change their plan of building a 10 storey office building on the site of 45 Park Lawn in order to build another condo. I don't even know if this was approved, but I'm sure the OMB made an exception, as per usual.

Nothing short of a few small office buildings is good enough for the site of Christie's. If you can build a GO station at Park Lawn integrated with a shopping/office/residential complex, it would go a long way to changing the feel of the neighbourhood. The city should really put its foot down, I feel like they've been very complacent with Humber Bay Shores. The TTC still pretends everything is fine on the 501 route while Metrolinx refuses to even consider an additional GO station. Something will break, and I feel it will be the residents here finally revolting.

people who work downtown... these condos arent going to be cheap.

Given how long it takes to get downtown in rush hour (either by slow streetcar or driving), why would anyone who works downtown want to live here, if there is no GO station?

Given how long it takes to get downtown in rush hour (either by slow streetcar or driving), why would anyone who works downtown want to live here, if there is no GO station?

Maybe they think that they will DRIVE to work... Might not make any sense but you cant tell me the new condos underneith highpark have much better transit.. Its barely 5 mins away. People also will buy because its close to the lake and some people will like that its NOT right in the city. Peoples logic often makes no sense when it comes to property. Its why people buy in no mans land and complain for a subway. People buy where they want to live and then think about the realities afterwards...

Correction: the streetcar may be the slowest form of transport that exists, but there is the 145 Express Bus that takes 20 mins to get downtown, on MOST days. I use it, couldn't live without it.

Driving is MAX 20 mins even in traffic. The trick is to avoid the Gardiner and use Lakeshore. I can't believe people haven't figured that one out yet.

Maybe they think that they will DRIVE to work... Might not make any sense but you cant tell me the new condos underneith highpark have much better transit.. Its barely 5 mins away. People also will buy because its close to the lake and some people will like that its NOT right in the city. Peoples logic often makes no sense when it comes to property. Its why people buy in no mans land and complain for a subway. People buy where they want to live and then think about the realities afterwards...

This IS a good location. By the lake, by many, many parks - next to the highway, GO line, close to downtown, close to the airport. It's a very convenient location for professionals.

The TTC has simply dropped the ball in this area. The Express Bus is a great start, but it's already getting crowded and we haven't even seen the fat lady sing yet.

This IS a good location. By the lake, by many, many parks - next to the highway, GO line, close to downtown, close to the airport. It's a very convenient location for professionals.

The TTC has simply dropped the ball in this area. The Express Bus is a great start, but it's already getting crowded and we haven't even seen the fat lady sing yet.

I agree its a great location. I was just responding to the transit side of things... Biking or driving works well here.

This is the difference between the 416 and 905 in terms of planning their new *nodes* ... looking at VCC / MCC ... there is a huge amount of office space planned, yet in Toronto we struggle to build anything that resembles an office building north of the core.

The two best examples of this are the land in this vicinity along with Concord's Park Place along Sheppard ...

Why couldn't they bicycle to work along the waterfront trail? It's about a 15 minute commute that way.
The waterfront trail ends at Bathurst. Then you have to dodge car traffic the rest of the way into the core. For joy rides sure, but it's not safe or practical for daily commutes, especially in the winter months. And the commute by bicycle isn't 15 minutes, it's more like 40-60 minutes. Plus offices don't have showers, everyone will complain about each other being smelly and unhygienic.

Last edited:

Back