News   Apr 18, 2024
 969     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.7K     2 

King West

grey

Member Bio
Reaction score
I see threads for the Entertainment District, Liberty Village and Queen West, but nothing for King West, so here's a thread for King West.

I learned from the barista at Jimmy's Coffee today that the New York Times will be doing a feature on King West in the third week of June! I'll be in NYC that week, so I'll be able pick up the paper and read about home :)

I also noticed a sign posted at a gutted garage building close to Jimmy's and right on the alley that leads to Devil's Martini (the alley behind Bier Markt and Lee Valley) that says, "Gusto - kitchen opening soon".

I'm also conerned about Lou Dawg's future.

The only way I see Reggie's lasting a few more years is if their catering business is keeping them afloat. I've never seen more than one or two people inside before.

I'm prepared to see the WOW Rotisserie Chicken place go under any day now (to be reincarnated for the third or fourth time with the same old Chinese lady in the kitchen).

I see threads for the Entertainment District, Liberty Village and Queen West, but nothing for King West, so here's a thread for King West.

Good of you to start this thread!

I've never been to Lou Dawg's but it always catchs my attention and curiosity. I should try it!

Was recently in the neighbourhood and checked out a couple of furniture shops. The Lifestyle Shop's owners are very knowledgeable. I walked away confident and will likely make some purchases there once I move into my condo. Design Within Reach has some very design savvy furniture. Went to brunch at Brassaii and am on the hunt for inspiration to design my new pad so I checked out these shops.

Go to Lou Dawg's. Their pulled pork (I almost never eat pork but I do bend the rules for a good pp sandwich:)) sandwich is incredible, as are their southern-style corn muffins. Actually, I really only have two "must eat here" places in the area--NY sub's potato burrito and Lou Dawg's sandwiches.

Yesterday, as the sun waned, I made one of my rare personal appearances amongst the west end demimonde, moving mostly unheeded through the not-yet inebriated ranks of a garrulous, glassy-eyed, bushy-tailed, primped youngish crowd that sluiced determinedly along King Street to Bathurst, and occasionally trailed off into the side streets for destinations and attractions unknown to me. There were restaurants, and bars aplenty with bouncers - or at least hefty guardians of some sort - standing at attention outside of them, and one establishment where groups of people dressed as racing car drivers were lolling about on the sidewalk, with a queue of other people waiting to get inside to do or see whatever it was they were there to do or see, and to be parted from their money for their pains. I noticed that there were signs up for new condominium apartment buildings as yet unbuilt, and a sales office or two. And then, cutting south to Wellington, I swept gloriously through the restaurant and swank bar of the swank new Thompson hotel, recognizing one particularly handsome and terribly famous young man in a suit, whoever he was ( actor? pop singer? athlete? ) who was standing about, and who aimed his steely gaze briefly in my direction as I passed. The fancy restaurant with the dim lighting was surprisingly quiet though, as was the new diner housed behind the former Crangles facade on Bathurst that I visited next. Then I was off again, through an exterior walkway in the building and along Stewart Street, past the old warehouse at the corner where we partied with Andy Warhol and Marshall McLuhan in '75, pondering how time rolls along like tumbleweed, clouding some memories and carrying off others entirely, altering or removing myriad built forms and rearranging the city around us, and how layers of memory and structural form are pasted over, how the city and those who inhabit it are continually reinvented, and how glorious and unpredictable this inevitable process makes the Great Wen that we inhabit. In this regard, the west end is certainly quite a few years ahead of the equivalent east end bolus that's starting to clog the arteries of Queen and Broadview, near where I live. Then, I walked along King, past Simcoe ( The Victorians referred to the four buildings at the intersection as: Salvation, Education, Damnation and Legislation - but only one, the church, remains ) and on to Yonge in the humid evening air, and up to Dundas ... from whence I took the streetcar home.

Last edited:
Concerning Reggies' and Lou Dawg's, like so many other locals, I usually go for pick-up.

Warning: the corn muffins at Lou Dawg's are addictive.

Back