News   Apr 19, 2024
 905     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 666     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

King-Spadina East Park

All I can say is that if we turn down the opportunity to buy this land, the rail deck park had damn better well not be a pipe dream.

It seems that Cressy and Tory didn't coordinate on this. While Cressy was expending resources studying this tiny piece of land to bring more park space to green space deficient King West, Tory's office must've already been working on announcing Rail Deck Park.

Adding a tiny bit of park space so close to Grange Park and David Pecaut Sq. is a waste of money compared to the humongous park acreage added by Rail Deck Park in the area said to need park space.

I have no problem dropping this park and focusing on acquiring the air rights along the rail corridor with as much of the park reserve fund as necessary, even if we don't start building for another decade.

The city should do both. The small park is needed in that area. The city has hundreds of millions of dollars in the parks find. The longer they wait the more expensive the land downtown becomes.

The rail deck park is a decade away at a minimum. Private money should help fund it like Millenium park.

Personally I think parkland in the core should transition from active acquisition to being an opportunistic benefit from large development projects. The focus should be placed on space renewal and the rail deck park from this point on - with the latter being understood to be a generational project (that we are so bad at, but the payoff will be incredible).

AoD

Personally I think parkland in the core should transition from active acquisition to being an opportunistic benefit from large development projects. The focus should be placed on space renewal and the rail deck park from this point on - with the latter being understood to be a generational project (that we are so bad at, but the payoff will be incredible).

AoD

Agree wholeheartedly. Rail Deck Park can take care on the role of increasing our parkland acreage along several wards and neighbourhoods. There's just no possible acquisition that comes close.

Oxford can build their portion in front of the convention centre. Rogers can be offered the space behind the SkyDome for public use in exchange for building over the rail deck, naming rights included. The Well development could be granted higher density and long term lease of a grand stage (ie Pritzker Pavillion) if they build their portion of the deck. That takes us almost all the way to Bathurst.

Other public parks and public spaces that aren't quite parks could use redevelopment like what is happening to Berzcy. Again, nearby developments could shoulder a part of the load, BIAs another. David Pecaut Sq outside Roy Thomson Hall is one such "not quite a park" spaces that hold so much potential for offering park space to an underserved part of downtown but is underused and poorly planned out.

Last edited:
There is a challenge in deciding how to allocate funds for parks in this area.

In part, based on what functions you're hoping to achieve.

If you simply want a neighbourhood respite (a few mature trees, some seats, a water fountain), little land is required, but it needs to be close to wherever you seek to serve.

Obviously if what you want is either 'grand gesture' or a sports field, the amount of land, and the associated cost, rockets. The choices for realistic sites are far fewer.

My instinct for the downtown area would be to focus on a small number of sites where one can grow/complete/protect/restore an existing greenspace, then use the balance
of any funds towards a grand gesture, likely in the form of the rail deck park.

But I wouldn't want to see ALL the funds consumed by the rail deck park; and therein lies the difficulty. Which is, if some investments go elsewhere, which ones will go where?

On the west side of downtown, I have long favoured expanding Grange park, by removing the former Otis Bldg on McCaul, and the associated mini-street, then shifting University Settlement out towards McCaul freeing up more space in the heart of the park, while also making sure there is a green space connection to McCaul. I also think taking over the 'air right's or strata over the apartment building parking garage on Beverly would make eminent sense.

On the east side, I can think of no higher priority than protecting the grounds of Metropolitan United and buying up than insidious condo proposal for the north end of same.

Here we can protect history, a visual link between historic landmarks, existing quality open space, and we can grow that space contiguously in a way that could add a range of space programming to a good sized City park.

Thereafter, I've love to see the investment focus on 'green borders' for downtown. The west being the former Garrison Creek route, which should be completed as a greenspace at all points south of Trinity-Bellwoods (its overwhelmingly in public hands as is, but would require shifting one apartment building and one Green P lot.

The south would be the waterfront park system.

The east would be the Don Valley (completing assembly of green space during redevelopment of lands south of Gerrard and north of Dundas tops my list here.)

The north would be Rosedale Valley and the associated Castlefrank creek corridor (Ramsden Park and points north-west)

Tieing this back to the discussion at hand. We need a clear sense of how much money is on the table, what the guiding vision is, and then we can discern how useful this particular site is/isn't in achieve that and whether its a wise investment of the $

Back