501     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

King-Spadina East Park

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
CBC is reporting that Joe Cressy and City Parks have identified a preferred site for a new park in the area of King/Spadina.

The implication would seem to be a significant space.

Owner not yet notified and will be approached shortly for willing buyer/seller.

Hence no ID of the property in question.

Expropriation possible.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/park-richmond-spadina-1.3634076

This is what he sent to his mailing list last night:

As our City grows, we must focus on building liveable neighbourhoods, rather than just adding density - this is my central focus as your local City Councillor.

Today, I was happy that Government Management Committee moved forward in helping us do just that. In a letter to the Committee approved this morning, I asked City staff to report directly to the July meeting of City Council on initiating parkland acquisition in King-Spadina. To read my letter, click here.

In 1996, the population of King-Spadina was 1,000 residents. Once all approved and potential development is constructed, more than 40,000 people will call this area home. The numbers are staggering, and every week I hear from developers with even more proposals.

However, we have fallen behind in building the critical services and facilities that our communities rely on and that truly make communities vibrant and liveable. Given the pressing needs in the community, I sought early on to address this gap in the King-Spadina neighbourhood.

In October 2015, City Council approved our plan for a partnership between the City of Toronto and the YMCA to bring a new YMCA Centre to the Revitalization of the City-owned Waterworks building at 505 Richmond Street West. This partnership demonstrates a real step in building a liveable community in the continually growing area.

In 2013, a City commissioned Community Services and Facilities study found that the King-Spadina area was already deficient in new parkland, as well as in community facilities – and with the further anticipated growth that has continued, the area would continue to become parkland deficient.

Since taking office, I have been working with City staff to review opportunities for new parkland and after 18 months of hard work, staff have identified a potential site for parkland acquisition in King-Spadina. Today, I asked City staff to report on next steps in acquiring this property directly to City Council to speed up the process. Although at this time we are not able to discuss the specific location, this is a significant step in acquiring parkland in our rapidly growing community. Further details will be made available leading up to City Council in July.

If City Councillors endorse moving forward in July, it will signal another step in our collective work to build and support our community. It will demonstrate that we are willing to work and invest to ensure we are creating healthy communities, and to build a city that supports our neighbourhoods both today and in the future.

Acquiring new parkland in King-Spadina is a critical step towards ensuring that we are not only building a liveable community, but that we are prioritizing healthy, equitable and well-serviced communities in each and every neighbourhood, and on each and every development, in our Ward.

CBC is reporting that Joe Cressy and City Parks have identified a preferred site for a new park in the area of King/Spadina.

The implication would seem to be a significant space.

Owner not yet notified and will be approached shortly for willing buyer/seller.

Hence no ID of the property in question.

Expropriation possible.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/park-richmond-spadina-1.3634076

Interesting that it says Richmond in the URL ... could it be the low-rise retail strip plus parking lot at the southeast corner of Spadina & Richmond? Nothing near King & Spadina seems like a candidate for demolition (everything's either old and therefore possibly heritage or just too new) and there are no vacant lots.

Maybe the LCBO at King & Spadina? It's kind of squat and doesn't really fit the streetscape ... and I thought I heard it was only meant to be a temporary location (a few years).

Definitely the Spadina/Richmond lot.

This statement may be unproductive, but... looks like the local condo dogs are getting a new pee pad ;)

Here's to hoping they don't go with a design that over-programs the park into oblivion.

Instead of treating park space as a discrete plot of land, can we expand the thinking and imagine high quality streetscaping that can serve for all intents and purposes as parks, as well as superb landscape architecture at existing parks instead? The problem with Toronto isn't the amount it has, it's the quality of what it has - and it's overwhelmingly trashy.

AoD

Last edited:
Instead of treating park as a discrete, large plot of land, can we move beyond, expand the thinking and imagine high quality streetscaping that can serve for all intents and purposes as parks, as well as superb landscape architecture at existing parks instead. The problem with Toronto isn't the amount of that it has, it's the quality of what it has - it's overwhelmingly trashy.

AoD

I'm not sure another park is what the city needs either. As I was looking around on Google Street View to see where it might go, I realized that the area already has Clarence Square so it couldn't/shouldn't be too close to it.

I'm not sure another park is what the city needs either. As I was looking around on Google Street View to see where it might go, I realized that the area already has Clarence Square so it couldn't/shouldn't be too close to it.

Yeah, we will have yet another park with cast concrete paving, anemic tress and a smattering of street furniture from the donations bin. And oversized recycling and garbage bins are provided gratis because they are too lazy to deal with real furnishings.

AoD

Yeah, we will have yet another park with cast concrete paving, anemic tress and a smattering of street furniture from the donations bin. And oversized recycling and garbage bins are provided gratis because they are too lazy to deal with real furnishings.

AoD

Now AOD, enough of this namby pamby amorphousness! Tell us what you really think!

Maybe Joe Cressy should get the Mouth of the Creek park finished before starting on a new project.

Why? The only thing being discussed right now is acquiring property. But feel free to contact the councillor and let him know that now is not the time to be proactive. Just don't complain if later the land either gets sold off to developers or becomes too expensive to purchase because the city failed to act sooner.

Now AOD, enough of this namby pamby amorphousness! Tell us what you really think!

What I really think? If they got to do it, hire Claude Cormier. Heck, I'd go further - give him a permanent city contract for park renewal and streetscape design across the entire city. He maybe from Montreal, but I'd gladly make him ours.

AoD

Last edited:
If there is to be a new park in this highly prominent location, it needs to have an outstanding design. Can we pretend that this site is on the waterfront and get Waterfront Toronto to handle it?

AoD

It doesn't have to be that way. I think the park along Cumberland in Yorkville has turned out pretty great, for example - how did that happen?

If there is to be a new park in this highly prominent location, it needs to have an outstanding design. Can we pretend that this site is on the waterfront and get Waterfront Toronto to handle it?

Well, at least the city "lead" Berczy and Grange projects are turning out well. The rest of them, not so much. I can't wait to be impressed by Barbara Ann Scott Park.

AoD

It doesn't have to be that way. I think the park along Cumberland in Yorkville has turned out pretty great, for example - how did that happen?

Lots of $$$, and the city got incredible flack for it - the granite shipped from Muskoka (?) got so much negative press (and it was the height of the 90s recession) - it was hosted on the petard as the excesses of the time. I think the city got cold feet after that experience and strived for mediocrity - furthered by value engineering.

And let's now forget people like DMW quibbling about the sand at Sugar Beach.

AoD

Last edited:

Back