Toronto The King Edward Private Residences | ?m | ?s | Skyline | ERA Architects

Also note:

• architects, Scott Weir and Ben Huntley of ERA Architects
  • interior designer, Anwar Mekhayech of The Design Agency

From the brochure:
Years ago, the three new condo floors had been converted from hotel rooms into offices

So in effect the conversion doesn't affect any current hotel rooms, only the previously converted offices are being turned into condo units

Using a rather tired and abandoned doorway, off Leader Lane, the architects have fashioned an elegant new private residents’ entrance into the complex although condominium owners also have the option of using the hotel’s baronial main rotunda as their front door and lobby.

That means the condo lobby will be located on the east side of King Eddy ~

I wonder how many of these shoebox condos will wind up serving as offices of one sort or another, anyway? (NB: yes, I'm talking about "offices". No dubious "health spas" or "holistic massage" joints.)

The floor plans are up on the website. There are some great layouts but wow most of those units have tiny tiny windows. Anybody buying an alley facing unit is going to have to keep the lights on all the time. very depressing especially considering the prices.

I really like that they included the floorplates with full plans - very unusual for a condo. Yes, very nice layouts, but man - I pity those people in the light well.

I'm also surprised that the largest suites are still less than 1000 sq ft.

I am a floor plan junkie but I even I tired of scrolling through the litany of different suites. It does go to show how square footage doesn't always improve a suite. Some of the units in the 650sf range were better and more usable designs than larger suites.

Strolling through the suites in my mind's eye, it felt very much like old Manhattan: Small windows and light-wells with wrought iron balconies and fire escapes. It has a 1940's Sam Spade feel to it. All they need are glass transoms above the doors and we'd be all set.

It does go to show how square footage doesn't always improve a suite. Some of the units in the 650sf range were better and more usable designs than larger suites.
I couldn't agree with you more - but this is Toronto where the car is king and bigger is better. How many times have my colleagues from the burbs exclaimed "I can't believe you could live in a shoe box like that" when I tell them of my 600 sq ft condo.

Strolling through the suites in my mind's eye, it felt very much like old Manhattan: Small windows and light-wells with wrought iron balconies and fire escapes. It has a 1940's Sam Spade feel to it. All they need are glass transoms above the doors and we'd be all set.
Also totally agree with that - it feels like old Manhattan tenements.

A tad dissapointed at these suites. I really expected to see something a little more..more.
I spent one incredibly glorious week at the St. Regis in Manhattan last summer (raffle win), yet i have often found myself thinking of the King Eddy when I think of the wonderful experience I had that week in New York. Actually the King Edward has a far and away grander front lobby than St.Regis, but the the two hotels after that, are kindred spirits.
With that in mind I somehow imagined the suites here would be larger, frankly. I really cant imagine these as being true homes for anybody. They appear to be being marketed as strictly transient style piedeterres (I know Adma, I probably spelled that wrong). Still I wish them success. I absolutely love this hotel. Any thing that keeps this wonderful and historical hotel going forward into the future, healthy and strong, is ok by me.

Is it really practically sold out already? Andrew la Fleur claims so http://truecondos.com/

Demand is still far outstripping supply with projects like FIVE condos supposedly receiving several hundred worksheets in the first few hours post-launch, and other projects like The Berczy and King Edward Hotel practically selling out overnight.

Is it really practically sold out already? Andrew la Fleur claims so http://truecondos.com/

You got to give this agent credit. I have read his blog a number of times. He always appears to be straight forward and honest with his views. He also does a good job maintaining his blog. That takes effort. When he says the King Eddy is almost sold out, I would not doubt him.
A rarity indeed compared to most of the characters out there selling.
There are certainly some beautiful and exciting new condos going up and selling extremely well. But I fear it's just like putting the icing on the cake. At that point it's nearly finished.

See The Views From The 90% Sold Out King Edward Private Residences

See The Views From The 90% Sold Out King Edward Private Residences

The new condominium units at the venerable King Edward Hotel are a hit, as sales have hit 90% after only two weeks on the market. The 145 suites are found on the third, fourth, and fifth floors of the building where a fashion mart once was. Residents of the new units will be able to enjoy all of the hotel's amenities, which are being refreshed by ERA Architects and The Design Agency, as they restore the building to its original glory, and seamlessly integrate the new construction into the existing aesthetic. New owner King Edward Realty Inc., comprised of partners Dundee Realty Corporation, Alex Shnaider, Skyline International Development Inc., and Serruya Realty Group Inc., aim to preserve the building's heritage, luxury, and integrity.

The complex shape of the building, and the central location immediately east of Canada's financial core, will provide some uniquely urban views for a Toronto condo.

This view across a lightwell opens between two wings onto a modern office tower on Wellington Street:

KingEdward-May26,10(7).jpg

This view looks over lobby and cafe skylights to the west:

KingEdward-May26,10(12).jpg

Views from the rounded room at the northwest corner of the building look out over King Street:

KingEdward-May26,10(23).jpg

This fire escape features in one of the lightwells.

KingEdward-May26,10(33).jpg

Some units in the west wing will have this view down Scott Street:

KingEdward-May26,10(38).jpg

A very urban view West along Colborne Street:

KingEdward-May26,10(41).jpg

An arched roof over the ballroom gives character to this south view:

KingEdward-May26,10(47).jpg

Amongst the amenities that residents will have access to is the Royal Club Lounge, located on the top floor in the northeast corner of the building.

Views include this one looking north along short Toronto Street:

KingEdward-May26,10(71).jpg

And these views to the south and east:

KingEdward-May26,10(76).jpg

KingEdward-May26,10(79).jpg

Photos by Ed007Toronto

Last edited by a moderator:
these views from higher up are nice but I was under the impression they were selling 3 to 5th floors so there will be those "urban views" which are not very nice, especially those in the light well.
Am I incorrect about this?

The units are tiny, with just a few small windows, and many faces into a dark light well. The corridors are really long and maze-like -- I hate to live on the far side of the building from the elevators.

But the renovation should hopefully be stunning, so I'm sure people are buying because of it's grandeur, amenities, and history over it's Manhattan-like units with Manhattan-like brick views.

The website has the most comprehensive and complete floor plans I have ever seen from a developer. Nice work.

Back