Toronto King Charlotte | 114.9m | 32s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

Just realized this thing has 2 elevators...seems crazy for a 32 storey building, not withstanding the unit count of approx 230.

Methinks there's a good chance of notable issues in the future.
That is going to be a serious pain in the ass. I've lived in buildings like that and at first I thought it was no big deal but after living there for a few months, always lining up for elevators, it became a huge issue and I got the hell out of there. After working 8 hours, I do not want to line up for 10 minutes every day, just to get to my apartment. The lineups here are going to long. 40 Gerrard East is the worst for that. The lineups there are just crazy!

The 2 elevators will definitely pose an issue for the residents. I can't even imagine what will happen when one of those elevators breaks down and the other is in service all day for moves. Good luck to the concierge there! :)

2 elevators in a building would be an immediate no sale for me. Its bad enough in 3 elevator buildings, yet alone 2 elevator buildings.

It all depends on the size of the building. I've lived in a 15-storey building that only had two elevators and it was rarely problematic, and even when someone was using the move-in elevator it usually wasn't a very long wait.

That said, in a 32-storey building, having only two elevators is inexcusable.

A lot of condo buildings could get away with using fewer elevators simply by using high-speed elevators, which is probably the case here.
It's not a great substitute, but elevators are very expensive and eats up sellable real estate and if developers could get away with putting less than they will.

Still is still a potentially bad situation though. All it takes is for one elevator to be out of service during a move in. High speed or not there should have been at least three in a building of this size and number of units.

A lot of condo buildings could get away with using fewer elevators simply by using high-speed elevators, which is probably the case here.
It's not a great substitute, but elevators are very expensive and eats up sellable real estate and if developers could get away with putting less than they will.

Disagree. I lived in a 40 storey tower with 3 elevators that were blazing fast. Still had to wait sometimes 20 minutes to get an elevator. The line went through the lobby to the front door.

High-speed or not, it still doesn't solve the issue if an elevator goes down. Say someone has the elevator booked for a move in/move out and has their truck, which they paid for, waiting at the loading area. And say the other elevator goes down - what happens then? How to you rectify such a situation.

I can tell you, I have worked as concierge in a building with 3 elevators. One of those elevators was down for an extended period of time awaiting "parts". The other elevator was in service all day for numerous days (at the end of the month) with move-in's/move-out's. There was one working elevator available to 300+ residents. You were looking at wait times of 10minutes+ during many times of the day. To say residents were frustrated would be an understatement.

These elevators will break down - it's just the nature of mechanical devices. And with 2 elevators in one building, it won't be a pretty situation. If the developer wants to skimp out on something, it shouldn't be elevators.

yeah, I lived through brand new buildings where it would take almost a year to work out the kinks out of the elevators -- and they will always malfunction a lot when new, which causes great stress especially when there isn't a separate elevator for moving. I lived near the top floor of a 34 storey 500-unit building with three elevators (no freight elevator) and it was frustrating during rush hour as I had to wait for all the lower floors to get in and out before I do.
I have been seeing more and more condos installing video screens in the elevator lobbies of each floor and inside of the elevator cabs to lessen the pain of waiting -- there are companies that will install them for free because of all of the potential advertising revenue. But that doesn't help when you are trying to get to work or an appointment on time.

I share the same feeling as many above ... back @ Solaris I was near the top of a 40s bldg with approx 500 units and 5 elevators, as many elevators as we had service was never 'great' due to elevators not being synchronized (still not to date AFAIK) ... and everytime there is a move-in/out it gets worst ... plus if there is another elevator out of service (leaving us with 3 elevators) the lineups for elevator access is easily 10+ minutes

good luck to residents here @ King Charlotte with only 2 elevators :(

Count me in as a fan of this building. It's reminds me of a shinier Karma Condo, just comes to show how much of a difference the type of glass used makes. I think it's my 3rd favourite in the Entertainment District now (1. Shangri-la, 2. Theatre Park, 4. Ritz)

21306166485_5e3b4c9836_b.jpg

Much of the building is underwhelming, and the box is forgettable. It looks good because it's shiny and new, but there's nothing of interest on the facade.

yea, it's pretty plain. Nice materials, but a plain glass box. I wonder how they will achieve the red top. Looks like it won't be visible in daylight.

king_charlotte_condo_ss_01.jpg

Back