Toronto King Blue by Greenland | 155.75m | 48s | Greenland | Arcadis

Hotel component. From the press release:

With a portfolio of over 70 luxury hotels globally, Greenland Group (Canada) is dedicated to making an economic contribution in every city they build. Market research indicating the need for more hotel rooms in Toronto's core resulted in the decision to launch the first Primus hotel brand in Canada in support of the tourism economy.

Primus Toronto will feature 122 rooms with numerous oversized luxury suites and on-site conference facilities, a rooftop terrace with pool and lounge. The seven-storey luxury hotel will be fully owned and operated by Greenland Group (Canada) and will employ approximately 120 permanent staff.

The actual groundbreaking ceremony. Construction to start within the next few months.

So, another Monde-like groundbreaking that doesn't actually result in construction so that they can get a bit of press and reel in a few more pre-construction buyers?

Some unused shots from today\'s groundbreaking:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2962.jpg
    IMG_2962.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 1,664
  • IMG_2975.jpg
    IMG_2975.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 1,654
  • IMG_2978.jpg
    IMG_2978.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 1,674
  • IMG_2979.jpg
    IMG_2979.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 1,657
  • IMG_2999.jpg
    IMG_2999.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 1,627
  • IMG_3003.jpg
    IMG_3003.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 1,631
  • IMG_3047.jpg
    IMG_3047.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 1,635
  • IMG_3053.jpg
    IMG_3053.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 1,609
  • IMG_3075.jpg
    IMG_3075.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 1,634
  • IMG_3079.jpg
    IMG_3079.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 1,613
  • IMG_3093.jpg
    IMG_3093.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 1,628
Largest global real estate developer Greenland Group (Canada) breaks ground on first Canadian project announcing new hotel for Downtown Toronto
TORONTO, May 8, 2015 (Canada NewsWire via COMTEX) -- International Shanghai-based megastructure developer Greenland Group announces ambitious plans to imprint Toronto's Theatre District with a marquee condo-hotel and Canada's first theatre museum.

Breaking ground May 8th, plans for the historic Westinghouse site include a 122-key luxury boutique hotel, 44 and 48-storey residential towers, and the highest heritage facade ever revitalized in Canada.

Marking skylines with ultra high-rise developments and communities that enhance quality of life; Greenland is building four of the top ten tallest buildings in the world, with 23 ultra high-rise buildings currently built or in construction.
More..........http://www.marketwatch.com/story/la...ing-new-hotel-for-downtown-toronto-2015-05-08

The actual groundbreaking ceremony. Construction to start within the next few months.
attachment.php

Looks like a giant pie crust!

This project sounds very promising with Greenland being involved. Can't wait to see what they have in store for the hotel and theatre museum.
I wasn't too thrilled with the previous developer.

So, another Monde-like groundbreaking that doesn't actually result in construction so that they can get a bit of press and reel in a few more pre-construction buyers?

An official groundbreaking is a way to celebrate the beginning of construction. You don't actually expect the President of Greenland Canada and Mayor John Tory to start digging the hole themselves do you?

An official groundbreaking is a way to celebrate the beginning of construction. You don't actually expect the President of Greenland Canada and Mayor John Tory to start digging the hole themselves do you?

I'll admit, I have been expecting Mayor John Tory to start digging himself into holes for the past few months, but have been pleasantly surprised.

I was commenting on the fact that construction would not be for a few months, which suggests to me that the groundbreaking is not really the beginning of construction at all, but a new phase of sales promotion based on the suggestion that construction is beginning.

We don't know what day the real shovels will arrive, but the ceremonies only take place once things are very close to moving forward. Organizing the equipment for the dig is one thing, organizing the people that you want on hand for the ceremony is another, and it all depends on what the VIP schedules are like at any given time. Both things typically take a couple of months to plan, and it's not always possible to schedule both at the same time.

All that said yes, it would be great if the equipment were ready to go at King Blue on Monday, but I don't know if it will be. Same with Monde.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...tion=init&folderRsn=3717856&isCofASearch=true

355 KING ST W
Ward 20 - Tor & E.York District
►View All Properties

To alter the redevelopment plan approved under Site Specific By-law 1041-2010 for the construction of two residential towers (a south 44-storey building with an eight-storey podium and a north 48-storey building with a seven-storey podium) by altering the amount of indoor and outdoor amenity space by sharing a portion with the hotel, decreasing the number of resident parking spaces and adding car-share parking spaces, and decreasing the number of loading spaces by allowing one loading space to also be used as a garbage bin staging area.

Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Minor Variance 15 131692 000 00 MV Mar 24, 2015 Hearing Scheduled

Contact Information
Jason Bragg
Application Technician
416-392-0097
jbragg2@toronto.ca

Hearing Date May 27, 2015

Last edited:

I would love if groundbreaking ceremonies always involved actual groundbreaking. I can just see the be-suited dignitaries breaking a sweat by attempting to force a spade into the packed-solid soil of the excavation site, jumping up and down on the blade to force it further into the dirt, but striking a buried rock. Or maybe that's just me.

The worst groundbreakings are when there is no actual dirt and they just do the shovel motion.. lame!

I found pictures of the "pie crust" dirt pile at other Chinese groundbreaking ceremonies... anyone know the reason for the shape? Usually in Canada it's just a pile/row/box of dirt, although at a greenfield site you could be digging into the grass or into areas that have already been graded.

0202_wwwy_02.jpg

bennecke_groundbreaking_ceremony-990x660.jpg

Attachments

• 0202_wwwy_02.jpg
    0202_wwwy_02.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 789
  • bennecke_groundbreaking_ceremony-990x660.jpg
    bennecke_groundbreaking_ceremony-990x660.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 795

Back