News   Apr 24, 2024
 256     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.4K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 625     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

The problem is the pedestrian interaction. Only being able to travel left or right will create conflict with pedestrian crossing with the light. Too my knowledge no such through restrictions apply to pedestrians. when the light turns green pedestrian go, cars will be force to waiting.

I was wondering about this too. The report on this project for today's TTC meeting contains the following: "In addition, it will facilitate rightturning movements by general traffic, reducing a potential source of conflict between motorists, streetcars and transit customers." I take this to mean that there will be a signal phase for all vehicles on King (streetcars through and cars turning right) with a red hand for all pedestrians in all directions, followed by a walk signal, and then a phase for everyone on the cross streets.

As some of the intersections are quite small, pedestrian scrambles might work well for the second phase.

Phased might work, we'll find out soon enough. Unfortunately the bad traffic situation created by the placement of the southbound streetcar loading platform is going to be made worse by this. because of the street widths before the platform was put in you had enough room for traffic to have a line of cars to make the right turn onto king sharing the left lane with a line of cars continuing south in addition to the lane with the street car tracks. the traffic backup was usually only a one light wait. Now it can take 3 or 4 lights to get get from adelaide to king. traffic backs up past queen and traffic backs up on richmond as they are unable to make the turn. Now you are diverting the king traffic up to richmond adding to the an already congested road. it is not going to. Had the planners thought about it a little more they would have placed the loading platform on the south side and avoid the problem of no through traffic flow created by a transit vehicle loading and a car turning right waiting for pedestrian to clear the intersection.

The Failure of the project will start with intersections at Bathurst and at Jarvis where the priority mall begin. The problem is the pedestrian interaction. Only being able to travel left or right will create conflict with pedestrian crossing with the light. Too my knowledge no such through restrictions apply to pedestrians. when the light turns green pedestrian go, cars will be force to waiting. This will cause the traffic to back up, thus causing delay in transit from getting through the intersection. Currently it is an advanced green for left turn onto bathurst from East bound King, This helps to keep through traffic flowing. It will be very interesting to watch this one. I live one block west of the pilot area on king and am fortunate enough to walk to work. I have been observing the traffic for the past 6 years on my journey to the core, this will be a huge change on how things flow (or not) through the city.

This is the whole point of "pilot project". The city will make changes as the project progresses and see if they can find a way to make the new configuration work for everyone. King & Jarvis might be a challenge, but it's not wildly different from Richmond & Bathurst, Yonge & Queens Quay, York & Queen or Yonge & Shuter.

I know I am going to need to find a new way to get to Leslie and Lakeshore after work

Adelaide.

This is the whole point of "pilot project". The city will make changes as the project progresses and see if they can find a way to make the new configuration work for everyone. King & Jarvis might be a challenge, but it's not wildly different from Richmond & Bathurst, Yonge & Queens Quay, York & Queen or Yonge & Shuter.

Adelaide.
Not by car if I need to be there by 5:30. I have triued almost every route across all the way up to bloor. Actualy yester from Bloor and ossiginton made it in 40 minutes taking bloor to parliment to eastern. Eastern broadview to carlaw being the pain point at 14mins travel time. going to see if cycling while towing two kids in a trailer is viable the Martin goodman trail is looking pretty good. Never thought i'd become one of those dads! haha at least it will be an opportunity to get fitter.

upload_2017-10-24_13-17-29.png

Here is the link in the first of Ben Spurr's tweets

https://web.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/8fd9-King-Street-Brochure_Oct23_Web.pdf

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-24_13-17-29.png
    upload_2017-10-24_13-17-29.png
    242.6 KB · Views: 257
This makes me so sad. The drivers can't even comprehend they can't just park on bicycle lanes with all its obviousness and the signage. What makes them think this even more complicated system will be magically understood? Definition of set up to fail.

This makes me so sad. The drivers can't even comprehend they can't just park on bicycle lanes with all its obviousness and the signage. What makes them think this even more complicated system will be magically understood? Definition of set up to fail.
Here is something that is hardly an original thought: "enforcement is the key".

If people (and drivers are people) believe there are consequences for bad behaviour then they will stop behaving badly.....it is something we learn around the age of 2 or 3.

“Taxis are allowed to travel through the intersections between 10pm and 5am”

Yeah... good luck with that. :rolleyes:

Basically the worst thing you can have on King during the evening party hours. I wonder if Ubers will be exempt?

The drivers can't even comprehend they can't just park on bicycle lanes with all its obviousness and the signage.

I don't think it's lack of comprehension as much as they simply care more about themselves than about cyclists. They know what they're doing.

Back