News   Apr 24, 2024
 963     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 623     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

I queried a noted Cdn film editor friend on that, and here's his reply:
[...
It doesn't take special software. It just is expensive and time-consuming. They may be framing out the tracks already. And they can paint out overhead wires too. You can alter the image in almost any way these days it's just a matter of bucks.

The quality of poster on the CBC site seems to have deteriorated. What a bunch of whiners.]

lol...I left the last two lines in as his comment on the CBC article on it.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...one-of-their-favourite-streetscapes-1.4020704
If you watch a show like Suits they don't have the budget for a lot of post-production. They'll just film a scene somewhere downtown with a NYC cab and a USA Today box prominently featured in the establishment shot. After that you'll see streetcars, street signs, Canadian Flags etc... in the background.

Some of the first episode of the new series Taken was shot downtown. You can clearly see a Yonge St. sign in one scene :)

As someone who works in film, I wonder if Jonathan speaks for the whole industry in Toronto.

And here is the other group, IATSE 873's production list:

If you watch a show like Suits they don't have the budget for a lot of post-production. They'll just film a scene somewhere downtown with a NYC cab and a USA Today box prominently featured in the establishment shot. After that you'll see streetcars, street signs, Canadian Flags etc... in the background.

Some of the first episode of the new series Taken was shot downtown. You can clearly see a Yonge St. sign in one scene

This is the stupidest opposition to the pilot proposal yet. Yeah, the whole movie industry will move to Bratislava just because of a few minor changes to King Street. End of the world.

I was going to add a point yesterday, as there really is grounds to question the claim of "90%" shot on King. The claim is absurd, not that I work in film, but a good half of my jam buddies do, and the IATSE NABET issue came up two weeks back when I last jammed down on Polson. It was about (and this is gist, I wanted to make sure I had this right, but with all the other comments showing now, I'll throw this out there) the movement between the two unions to allow lower standards and union dues in the process. There's been an ongoing...errr....'competition'....between the two for years, and I don't want to get into that save to say the CBC story was quite possibly an 'attention getter' on exactly that point. Editors (and I quoted my erstwhile cycling partner previously) are in the Director's Union, separate from either.

But further to the point of (gist) "losing Toronto on the Hudson" as others have pointed out, that's just left in in a number of productions. The average viewer just hasn't the acumen to make note of it. And one production that did use a King St address (Orphan Black, 507 King as the Cop Shop)(what a great building and scene, btw, some great jams in there over the years) wraps this year. Plus that's almost all stock shots now anwyway.

So let's look at this a different way: *If* tracks and catenary can be deleted (and this probably does happen in real high budget blockbusters, they often completely change the background in scene after scene, let alone CGI), then moving from King is a moot point anyway! Not to mention that Orphan Black glorified it being Toronto, no apologies necessary, although the GO coach green was turned to blue (a whole story in itself, partly technical, won't go there)

If anything, the bulk of benefit is *for* rationalizing King as per transit mall. Someone's MGM lion is bleating: "Hear me roar!". Meeoww....

Last edited:
If Toronto's streetscapes are great for TV show and movie production, why not set the shows and movies in Toronto? It'll be cheaper not to cover anything up or use any USA Today newspaper boxes or yellow cabs. They'll get to have streetcars in the shots, which you won't find in NYC or Chicago. It'll make the shows and movies filmed here more interesting.

If Toronto's streetscapes are great for TV show and movie production, why not set the shows and movies in Toronto? It'll be cheaper not to cover anything up or use any USA Today newspaper boxes or yellow cabs. They'll get to have streetcars in the shots, which you won't find in NYC or Chicago. It'll make the shows and movies filmed here more interesting.

Couldn't agree more. It sickens me to always see Toronto as a stand-in for other cities. I realize this is necessary for stories that are supposed to be in the U.S., but otherwise there's no excuse. It's great to see the city's character celebrated. I think that's why Scott Pilgrim became such a cult hit. It actually let places like Casa Loma and Lee's Palace play themselves, and captured the uniqueness of the city rather than its generic qualities.

Couldn't agree more. It sickens me to always see Toronto as a stand-in for other cities. I realize this is necessary for stories that are supposed to be in the U.S., but otherwise there's no excuse. It's great to see the city's character celebrated. I think that's why Scott Pilgrim became such a cult hit. It actually let places like Casa Loma and Lee's Palace play themselves, and captured the uniqueness of the city rather than its generic qualities.
Almost all of the most successful Toronto filmed shows, and a number of feature films, already do this. Orphan Black has gone geometrically more popular since this three year old article states:
Forbes Magazine:
Apr 19, 2014
'Orphan Black' Has Made Canada A Player On The Global Television Stage
During the writers’ strike in 2008, CBS CBS +0.25% made a bold move and opted to purchase the rights to a Canadian drama, but not just any Canadian drama. The thing that made this Canadian drama special was it had no qualms about letting the world know its nationality. Where typical American strategy said to never reveal the city a show takes place in if that city isn’t stateside, CBS chose to air the program as is. That series was Flashpoint, and it opened the flood-gates to Canadian television on U.S. broadcast networks. Since then, shows like Rookie Blue, Continuum, The Listener and Motive all took the leap stateside without compromising their national roots. Canadian flags are on display, cities likes Vancouver and Toronto are name dropped frequently, but while that’s all well and good, Canadian television has yet to have a show breakout into the cultural consciousness. That is until BBC America and Space came along and changed everything with their pop-culture phenomenon, Orphan Black.

While it has some of the weakest Nielsen ratings of any show to be imported south of the border, Orphan Black has become a global phenomenon. Thanks to that, Canada’s now been placed in the spotlight of the television conversation along with the U.S. and U.K., a position it’s never been in before. Tatiana Maslany’s been nominated for and won several awards, the show has gained a fan base on the level of Doctor Who in terms of dedication; it’s an unstoppable series that’s proven something an entire country has known for years: Canada is ready to play with the big boys. [...]
https://www.forbes.com/sites/merril...-on-the-global-television-stage/#3c1efcfc7e8c

I agree, but it would be an uphill battle. We'd have to create high quality stories the world finds compelling, and that seems to be more or less impossible for the Canadian industry. Even that would be no guarantee. For example, HBO's Big Little Lies is based on a hugely entertaining novel set in Sydney. If any city could capture the world's imagination, it's that gorgeous sexy beast. But the TV version is set in California, presumably because Americans won't watch anything that isn't about them.

More and more cities in the States either have or are building more streetcar and light rail lines. Having a streetcar or light rail car in a scene shouldn't be hidden in a scene.

Meeting notice:

We invite you to attend the King Street Pilot Study Public Meeting!

The King Street Pilot Study is about exploring bold, transformative ideas for how to redesign King Street in order to move people on transit more efficiently, improve placemaking and the public realm, and support business and economic prosperity.

At this public meeting, the City will be seeking feedback on a preferred pilot design that has been developed for the corridor.

Consultation and engagement is a critical part of the King Street Pilot Study, and a variety of community and neighbourhood groups, businesses and BIAs, and other key stakeholders will be involved throughout the study.

We encourage you to attend our public meeting to learn more and share your thoughts on the work we've done to date on the King Street Pilot Study.

Meeting details:

Thursday, May 18th, 2017
6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
InterContinental Toronto Centre, Ballroom
225 Front St W, Toronto, ON M5V 2X3
(Front St W. & Simcoe St.)

Now if only they let the streetcars only through the electrical vault fire scene.
What boggled me about that was that pedestrians and on-lookers weren't pushed further back. Those fumes are almost always highly-toxic.
http://electrical-engineering-portal.com/transformer-fire

But back to the Transit Mall...it's great that ADRM linked that, but is it just me, or is the glow of this getting lost in the massively-hyped subway projects and just plain numbness to believably scaled projects like this?

It's so tantalizingly close, and yet the bloom has gone...

Back