News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 661     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 931     0 

Justin Trudeau?

It looks like the Trudeau phenomenon is real. Now that support for Harper and the Conservatives is collapsing a lot of people are turning to the Liberals.

It looks like the Trudeau phenomenon is real. Now that support for Harper and the Conservatives is collapsing a lot of people are turning to the Liberals.

This goes hand in hand with a recent study.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...nd-current-affairs-than-men-says-uk-research/

It seems that women and younger men are less informed about politics and current events. And if you look at the polls, Trudeau gets more of his support from women and younger men.

BurlOak:

And how do you know that those who support Justin Trudeau just happen to be in the subset of women and younger men that are less informed about politics and current events?

AoD

And how do you know that those who support Justin Trudeau just happen to be in the subset of women and younger men that are less informed about politics and current events?
I'm male and about middle aged (42 yrs old), and consider myself well informed on politics and current events. I've also voted Con, Lib and NDP provincially and federally.

This time I'm voting for Trudeau. Why? I want to reintroduce some optimism into Canadian life and politics, having myself grown tired of the Harper message that Canada is constantly under economy threat, terrorism/criminal threat and in near crisis all the time. I've grown tired of outrage. Maybe Trudeau will bring some fun and spice back.

I'm male and about middle aged (42 yrs old), and consider myself well informed on politics and current events. I've also voted Con, Lib and NDP provincially and federally.

This time I'm voting for Trudeau. Why? I want to reintroduce some optimism into Canadian life and politics, having myself grown tired of the Harper message that Canada is constantly under economy threat, terrorism/criminal threat and in near crisis all the time. I've grown tired of outrage. Maybe Trudeau will bring some fun and spice back.

How is Trudeau even qualified to become prime minister? He's a substitute drama teacher. Does he actually have any interesting ideas -- or any ideas at all? Sadly, he has a good chance at becoming prime minister because he's young and hip and has killer hair. He'll totally appeal to the hordes of mindless youth who go for whatever is trendy -- which is exactly why he wants to legalize marijuana. That automatically gives him the 'airhead' vote that makes up a large portion of tweens in this country. And of course there's no nepotism involved.

Why is fun and spice important? He's running to be the leader of the country, not a gym teacher. I'd rather have someone with a dull personality and good ideas lead Canada, and not a pseudo intellectual man that still behaves like he's in his 20s. He used to wear blue jeans in the house of commons for goodness sakes. Talk about a lack of professionalism.

Last edited:
If I am reading your point correctly - it's not so much so a vote for Trudeau but a vote against Harper.
Well, perhaps 70:30 AntiHarper:proChange. I can't stand Muclair, as he seems like an angrier version of Harper.

I suppose I'm just tired of the angry or outraged politician telling me that the country is on the brink. For me, the country's in good shape, and I think we need to re-introduce some optimism and positivity (sp?) in our leadership.

How is Trudeau even qualified to become prime minister? He's a substitute drama teacher.
Perhaps he's not. But lack of demonstrated depth or abilities does not automatically disqualify one from winning. Our first PM was drunk. Assuming we don't have another round of Harper, I don't see anyone else likely to win. And of course there's no nepotism involved.

Why is fun and spice important?
To you it's not. To each his own.

He used to wear blue jeans in the house of commons for goodness sakes. Talk about a lack of professionalism.
Have you ever observed the House of Commons in action? First of all, unless it's Question Period or their otherwise embarassingly empty seat may be in a camera shot, most MPs don't bother showing up, and during Question Period there is no professionalism whatsoever. You could wear a clown costume to the Commons and have little impact on the level of professionalism therein.

I never said Trudeau couldn't win.

John A. MacDonald may have been a drunk, but he was a man of substance. Trudeau just wants to legalize a particular substance. He's a joke of a politician. Sadly, that doesn't matter to many young people. They see him as a celebrity and a cool guy, and that's all they care about. Trudeau is the perfect candidate to win over naive kids. 'OMGz, he wants to legalize pot; I'm so voting for him!'

You didn't answer why fun and spice is important. Saying, 'to you it's not' doesn't answer anything. Shouldn't everyone be voting for a set of policies and not style and personality? The latter achieves nothing. World leaders aren't going to care if Justin Trudeau has good fashion sense or is a free spirited guy. They want to work with someone who is smart and has good ideas; something he lacks. As much as I abhor his father, he was at least a competent leader and had a vision for this country. Justin hasn't even talked about policy. I can't believe Treat Williams' protegé will most likely be prime minister in the near future.

Yes, I have. Speaking of professionalism -- remember when Justin called Peter Kent an effing a-hole? Then he gave that horribly overwrought, feigned apology. I guess if he becomes prime minister, the fun you desire will be an inevitability; but for all the wrong reasons.

Here's an interesting quote: "It is increasingly the case that your job prospects are correlated not with out how hard you work, not with how well you did at school, but with the job that your father had."
Toronto Centre Liberal Candidate, Chrystia Freeland

Here's an interesting quote: "It is increasingly the case that your job prospects are correlated not with out how hard you work, not with how well you did at school, but with the job that your father had."
Toronto Centre Liberal Candidate, Chrystia Freeland
As if nepotism and networking are a new thing?

I don't know how anyone with any long-term sense can vote for Harper. Between Baird turning this country into an international joke and his cancellation/muffling of scientists, this government has to go. It blows my mind that Harper would cancel the ELA experiment for the sake of the oil sands - let's not kid ourselves, if there is any chance Fracking chemicals gets leaked into our water system, the best chance to prove that is within the ELA area.

All for what? A few dollars from the oil lobbyists?

The latest poll from Ipsos Reid has the Conservatives down to third place with only 29% support. The Liberals are down as well, now tied for first with the NDP at 31% apiece. It could be an anomaly of course, but it looks like Mulcair may be handling the Senate scandal better than Trudeau.

These numbers probably won't last till the election, but we'll certainly have a fascinating three-way race on our hands if they do (a first, I believe, in federal politics).

The latest poll from Ipsos Reid has the Conservatives down to third place with only 29% support. The Liberals are down as well, now tied for first with the NDP at 31% apiece. It could be an anomaly of course, but it looks like Mulcair may be handling the Senate scandal better than Trudeau.

These numbers probably won't last till the election, but we'll certainly have a fascinating three-way race on our hands if they do (a first, I believe, in federal politics).

Three things that Harper needs to win.

1. Canada's economy continue to outperform the USA.
2. Eliminate the deficit.
3. Reform the Senate.

I seems that his re-election depends greatly on how the Supreme Court will rule - I think it is later this fall.

Back