Toronto June Callwood Park | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | gh3

The short-listed firms are now invited to bid on the park contract. It may actually be starting in the spring. See https://wx.toronto.ca/inter/pmmd/calls.nsf/0/21B4865B5E85FCBC85257AF500536230?OpenDocument

Scope of Work:
Scope of work is to provide materials and labour for paving, water feature, lighting, benches, a stainless steel maze, planting beds, and trees for a new park at 636 Fleet Street, Toronto Ontario.

 Irrigation
 Concrete: forming and accessories & reinforcing cast-in-place concrete
 Miscellaneous + metal fabrications
 thermal and moisture protection, vapour retarders
 Water feature, mechanical & electrical
 electrical: Electrical distribution, Lighting system
 Earthwork, excavating, trenching and backfilling
 Exterior improvements: granular sub-base, EPDM – poured in place paving, Filterpave porous paving system, Stone walks and curbs, exterior site furnishings, topsoil placement and grading, planting

Here's a Facebook posting that I forgot to post here :) (I was reminded about it in another thread!)
An update about June Callwood Park from a city Parks person today: "I'm happy to report that problems the developer had been having with the site are now resolved. The Ministry of the Environment approved the final Certificate of Property Use just before Christmas. So, we are now in the process of getting all of the legal paperwork done to get the land transferred to the City. Our tender for construction will be issued this month (January 2013). So, we should be on track to get started once construction season begins this Spring."

Mind you, those slivers of dirt are part of what makes cities worth living in for many people.

Too bad it wasn't designed as a public square. It's rectangular and surrounded by streets on all sides and a very urban built form, which is an appropriate context for a square. It wouldn't be a major square, but something local and commemorative. Fortunately, the park has a good landscape design which should give it a good sense of place.

Too bad it wasn't designed as a public square. It's rectangular and surrounded by streets on all sides and a very urban built form, which is an appropriate context for a square. It wouldn't be a major square, but something local and commemorative..

Yeah, with the existing large park (Coronation Pk.) across the street, a square would make sense

The tender is about to be awarded:

The Director of Purchasing and Materials Management recommends that the Bid Committee grant authority to award the following contract:

Call No:
Tender #242-2012

Description:
For the supply of all materials, equipment, labour and supervision required to construct a new park at June Callwood Park, 636 Fleet Street, South District

Recommended Bidder/Proponent:
Mopal Construction Ltd.

Contract Award Value:
$2,059,900.00 net of all applicable taxes and charges

$2,327,687.00 including all applicable taxes and charges

$2,096,154.24 net of HST recoveries

Contract is expected to start on June 1, 2013 and end on December 31 2013

FYI, according to their Facebook page, the official groundbreaking ceremony took place yesterday. I have no other details.

There were quite a few people on hand yesterday morning for the ceremony. Park will be built this year, planting happens next spring, targeted official opening is Spring 2014

AG/taxman:

2M for park of this size, with this much hardscaping really isn't that much - in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they had to cut back on what was proposed given the budget.

Just for comparison, Sherbourne Commons, which is about, oh, not quite double the size costs almost 30M. Granted it had a shack and water features, but it gives you an idea what kind of numbers we're talking about.

AoD

Last edited:

Back