News   May 10, 2024
 22     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 246     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 692     0 

John Tory Speech - His plans for a strong Toronto

Re: > Re: John Tory Speech - His plans for a strong Tor

Some use "equity" to mean equal representation in the workforce (e.g. quota system not looking at skill availability) whereas others use "equity" to mean equal opportunity in the workforce (e.g. no quota or a quota system which looks at skill availability such as the Federal Contractors Program). The quota system not looking at skill availability is certainly discriminatory and inequitable but I doubt it is motivated by irrational fear.

Employment equity is not about quotas.

In 1990, when OCAD introduced a hiring policy - "Equity 2000" - which consisted of quotas, they were roundly denounced by a wide range of community groups who supported employment equity hiring.

Employment equity is not about quotas.

In 1990, when OCAD introduced a hiring policy - "Equity 2000" - which consisted of quotas

Equity 2000... that sounds like an employment equity initiative. Employment equity "shouldn't be" about quotas but sometimes is. Your example only proves it.

OCAD used Section 13 of the Ontario Human Rights Act, intended to be used only in cases of extreme discrimination, as the basis for their quota-based hiring program. It was a high profile example that was denounced by community and civil rights organizations including The Alliance For Employment Equity and The Canadian Civil Liberties Association - who saw it as discriminatory, and damaging to the public perception of equity hiring. In OCAD's submission to the Ontario Human Rights Commission, President Timothy Porteous proudly described the policy as ( if I remember correctly ) "extreme".

Have other publicly funded educational institutions subsequently used Section 13 as the basis for their hiring policies? Not that I've heard of.

denounced by community and civil rights organizations including The Alliance For Employment Equity and The Canadian Civil Liberties Association - who saw it as discriminatory,
Not according to, well, you...
Employment equity is not discriminatory, inequitable,

"Getting back to the SSM issue, I imagine many of those who voted against SSM did so out their view that their view of society should be protected, not out of fear or hatred for those that want to change the society. Much as those who would want to enact discriminatory hiring practices want to make their version of society the norm, not out of hatred or fear."

The irony here, is that those who *would* outlaw SSM are in fact the biggest threat to that same society.

Sorry to barge into the thread, btw.

The irony here, is that those who *would* outlaw SSM are in fact the biggest threat to that same society.
Certainly a valid point of view, IMHO.

I really don't see what the big deal is about SSM, let them be as happy or unhappy in marriage as the rest of us. I still think there's some work on tax law needed.

Abeja: The OCAD hiring policy was appealed to the OHRC because employment equity advocates, civil libertarians, and alumni such as myself believed that it wasn't an example of employment equity - since it consisted of rigid quotas.

Back