News   Mar 28, 2024
 213     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 270     0 

Jan 8th, 2011 Rally to Demand Public Inquiry into G20 Summit in Toronto

Arob

Member Bio
Reaction score
On Jan 8th, 2011 hundreds of people braved inclement weather to attend a political rally at Queens Park in downtown Toronto. The crowd became most vitriolic while chanting, 'Hey hey. Ho ho. Bill Blair has got to go!'

[video=youtube;9eVKlG-gOv4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eVKlG-gOv4[/video]

Jan 8th 2011, Rally to Demand a Public Inquiry into Police Actions During G20 Summit in Toronto.

Most of the participants that lent their voices and passion to Saturday's protest are members of the Facebook page: Demand a Public Inquiry into G20 Toronto which has well over thirteen thousand members. Now the organization can effectively schedule civic events designed to remind federal, provincial and municipal politicians of the public anger that still smolders in connection with this outrageous event.

In the words of the Ontario Ombudsman, Andre Martin "...the days up to and including the weekend of the G20 Summit will live in infamy as a time period where martial law set in the city of Toronto leading to the most massive compromise of civil liberties in Canadian history, and we can never let that happen againâ€

Another great story about the Saturday Jan 8th 2011 Rally and March on Toronto Police Headquarters appeared this morning, written by Chris Doucette, of the Toronto Sun. With several lawsuits pending, and one police office under charges, and hundreds of outstanding complaints and allegations of police brutality, I must ask everyone on here again, why has there still been no public inquiry into the actions of police during the G20 Summit?

I just love these Facebook groups. I feel strongly about an issue, so I join the facebook group, and then do nothing. At least a few people showed up for a demonstration, but you'd see a larger crowd for free turkeys at Honest Ed's than this bunch.

Yes but just joining up has some value. The numbers of 'fans' reflect a political position, and on some level it shows that more people want to see an inquiry into G20 than attend Honest Eds for free turkeys.

Yes but just joining up has some value.
Actually it doesn't. In fact Facebook groups have been detrimental to social activism. Check out Slackivism http://neteffect.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2009/05/19/the_brave_new_world_of_slacktivism

bizarro%2B01-02-11%2BZOMBIES.jpg

lol, it is like the millions of young people who joined all those groups online supporting Obama, and hardly any of them came out in the 2010 midterm elections.

I guess all this whining will dissipate now that events in Cairo have put some context around this. Incidently, if I were an officer and someone told me his name was "Mr. Nobody" I would treat him accordingly. Why hasn't anyone picked up on the fact a fellow who would legally change his name in such a way would be just the sort of passive aggressive who would get into such a situation. I am sure he has found this expereince to be some sort of weird satisfying confirmation.

Back