Toronto Ivory On Adelaide | ?m | 22s | Plaza | Hariri Pontarini

I don't get the criticism of those buildings. The windows create good texture, the red tones are pleasant and the terracing is distinctive. There's a masculine heaviness to the architecture, but it befits an area with industrial heritage. It doesn't meet the street in a way that enlivens it, but the street isn't an animated commercial street anyway.

The units have the potential to take on a commercial role in the future. Unfortunately, there is no way around the emergency exits that could have been incorporated into the buildings but would take away saleable square footage.

I don't get the criticism of those buildings. The windows create good texture, the red tones are pleasant and the terracing is distinctive. There's a masculine heaviness to the architecture, but it befits an area with industrial heritage. It doesn't meet the street in a way that enlivens it, but the street isn't an animated commercial street anyway.

Agreed. I don't understand it either, especially when there's far worse in LV. They many not be to everyone's tastes but do have a unique texture and there is some cohesiveness in their design. But the buildings directly east of them, those are a complete mess.

The only reason I can stand this 'hood: Rooster Coffee.
7CX6KL9.jpg

wx9P94V.jpg

SiMrAGu.jpg

mVOxF2d.jpg

I like the visual texture of the vertical lines and the contrast. Overall, it's a sharp building in need of a better streetscape. Too bad that the way it meets the street is awful.

It's a shame but the ground level looks dingy. Even without those planter boxes, the ceilings are just too low, especially given the way it's set back like a colonnade.

^I agree with your assessment. When it comes to the street level, the planter boxes are a really bad situation. They totally mar the space.

Funny thing is the party room, which is located in the shorter portion to the east of the main tower, is massive with high ceilings. I doubt it will be used much. It should have been the retail space.

I just don't get the low ceilings in this project especially on the ground floor. In general it's a nice project but the ground floor/retail is such a wasted opportunity IMO.

I just don't get the low ceilings in this project especially on the ground floor. In general it's a nice project but the ground floor/retail is such a wasted opportunity IMO.

It's a weird building. Having checked out a couple units, it really has the feel similar to my building that was built in the late 80's. Popcorn 8' ceilings, most finishes and fixtures look more contemporary or even classic rather than modern. Just a lot of weird decisions on this building.

IMG_2994.JPG

From my May 29th Development Tour of Toronto

Attachments

• IMG_2994.JPG
    IMG_2994.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 811
It's a weird building. Having checked out a couple units, it really has the feel similar to my building that was built in the late 80's. Popcorn 8' ceilings, most finishes and fixtures look more contemporary or even classic rather than modern. Just a lot of weird decisions on this building.

I think the design was nice but the builder value engineered it to the last detail.

Looking at Dane's last picture it looks squashed. Balcony glass has 3 different treatments. You can see it sometimes on the same elevation. A little much IMO.

Back