102     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 147     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 573     0 

Islington Subway Station

D

drum118

SNC is looking at building a 300,000 sq tower for their needs on the exiting lands for the Islington Subway terminal. It will be interesting to see if more space is added for this tower.

This will see TTC building a new 4 bay platform north of the existing terminal and eliminating 50-75% of the existing parking lot.

This will require Mississauga Transit moving to a new terminal at Kipling and it will house bus bays for GO also.

A new parking lot is to be built on the south side of Bloor St between the old Bell building and the CP tracks. No new walkway will be built to connect the new lot to the station.

TTC on Wed July 19 declare the exiting lands surplus.

Aberfoyle Crs would be extended west of Islinton Ave and connect with Bloor St at Green Lanes.

Option 5 would see TTC loosing 400 parking spots for metropass holder and this is not TTC prefer choice. Option 4 is TTC prefer choice.

The cost of the new Kipling terminal which will be 14 bays to house MT and GO is about $45 million. Mississauga is refusing to kick in money for this new terminal.

The exiting parking lot will house the new terminal and a new parking lot is to be built on the east side of Islinton Ave. Unless TTC builds a new entrance on the east side of the Kipling Station, it going to piss off a lot of riders and may keep them as car drivers only. TTC has enough problems with the Kipling station for their own buses let alone adding MT and GO to the picture. Where are they going to put the LRT lines for this station?

It would be better to extend the subway to Cloverdale mall area and build a complete new terminal for everyone. It will cut down on the excess traveling from the 427 to Kipling for everyone.

Kipling was under built in the first place and in the wrong location also.

There is about 400 MT riders who work around the Islington Station and they will be reqiure to pay 2 fares now to get to work. It will add more traveling time for MT riders going to Kipling compare to Islington.

This move will see TTC riders looking for a new way home since MT was providing service for them after route 49 and 50 stop operating at night since MT ran up to 1.30 am in the first place. Route 50 will be the hardest hit. MT should be operating route 50 in the first place since it can offer better service than TTC can in the first place.

TTC can walkway today from operating route 50 and save $1 million in operating cost per year. MT would gain extra revenue to cover the cost of operating route 20 and 26 while traveling the 15 minutes within Toronto to get to the subway at Islington.

Drum, since this news is more transit related, I would have put it in the transportation section.

In any case, transportation wise: this is exactly where the GTTA should be stepping in to tell the TTC and MT how to cooridnate bus service along Burnhamthorpe and Bloor West, and where it should be deciding how much cash Mississauga should be providing to help build the new terminal at Kipling. Electronic fare boxes and fare integration of some kind will likely be in place by the time all of these changes are completed, so maybe those MT riders working at Bloor & Islington will reap some benefits from that.

Project wise: is anything online yet that visually describes the SNC and parking lot options at Islington, or the bus terminal and parking lot options at Kipling? That would help.

DRum, from what I recall, there was a short list of developers that qualified. Are you saying that SNC Lavalin has been chosen? Also, isn't this all theoretical? Until the funding problem for the Kipling Station redesign is resolved, nothing will be happening at Islington. I noticed that the City is trying to lease its newly acquired Legion building on the site which indicates that it doesn't think anything will be happening in the immediate future.

about time they developed the Islington bus-bay site.... prime real estate and a real eyesore right now. good to hear.

In an ideal world a new terminal would be built at Kipling, which is a prerequisite to doing anything at Islington. In an even more ideal world the line would be extended westward about 1 km. to near Hwy. 427, and a new terminal built there (underutilized Honeydale Mall property would be ideal!).

Don't hold your breath waiting for either of these to happen. There is quite a long list of other things that would be higher priorities for TTC capital spending, including among others the pressing need for a new subway to Jane and Hwy. 7.

Drum:

I don't see how MT moving its terminal to Kipling would increase travel time to Kipling for MT users :S That just makes no sense. Indeed, it would suck for MT users who work at Islington, but how many of those are there.I think the vast majority of MT users would prefer a shorter bus ride to the subway. Even today, you see many people get off the bus at Dundas near Kipling and take the subway from there instead of waiting for the bus to get to Islington.

Observer Walt:

LOL. The pressing need for a subway to Jane & Hwy 7. How true. I never thought I'd say I hope a subway line doesn't get built, but there's a case in point. That white elephant should not be built. If Sheppard was a mistake, THAT would be a disaster. Thank God the federal government hasn't committed to it yet, at least not that I'm aware of. What a stupid project. By all means go to York University and Steeles. But Hwy 7? Puh-lease!

Extending the subway to East mall always seemed like a no-brainer to me. There are so many bus routes that travel along Dundas to Kipling that would be improved by this. Kipling station already has so many buses that it gets quite congested during rush hour (especially on Aukland). It would also shave about 5 minutes off of a number of routes (or even 10 minutes off of MT routes headed for Islington), improving trip times. Reducing route length would also allow for more frequent service with the same number of buses. Reducing bus traffic on Dundas would make it less unpleasant for potential pedestrians. It would also allow for massive redevelopment of the Honeydale lands - the city could scoop it up cheaply before announcing the extension since the mall is pretty much dead.

Of course, a 1-line extension doesn't make for a politician's legacy, so I don't expect it to happen anytime soon.

we've had lots of one stop expansions. downsview, kennedy, north york centre, and kipling were all built alone. in a way, the argument can be made that it's easier to find the will for a short extension because a) it's relatively inexpensive, and b) because they can be built within 3-4 years there's the possibility of the politician who approves it to also get to cut the ribbon

Anyone care to speculate how much a one-stop extension of B-D west would cost? And to where it would go? I would vote Sherway Gardens.

Any westward extension of the Bloor-Danforth line should be along Dundas, where the riders are, not to Sherway. A subway to Sherway is similar to a subway to Vaughan Corporate Centre. Both places are big box wastelands.

As I recall, the Sheppard line cost about $900 million for about 6 km., or about $150 million per average km. These figures are now several years out of date and would have to be inflated somewhat to today's costs.

On the other hand Sheppard was relatively difficult to build. It is completely underground and required boring of tunnels. It was apparently a challenge to build the new platform level at Yonge-Sheppard above, not below, the existing level. A tunnel had to be put under the Don River.

Similar challenges don't appear to exist at the west end of the Bloor line. The existing line at Kipling is above ground and an extension could presumably continue above ground, probably as far out as Hwy. 427. There are few obstructions in the way and construction would appear to be relatively straightforward.

I wouldn't presume to estimate costs but this might give a rough idea.

Extending the Bloor line west even just a stop or two would make a huge difference not only in commuting time and bus congestion, but also in parking! It's virtually impossible to park at Kipling and even Islington after 8 am and it would be nice to not have to devote so much land around those stations to lots (especially at Islington/ECC). Not that parking capacity would necessarily be reduced, but it could at least be redistributed to the new stations.

Eventually B-D really should go to MCC, which will again in its relatively short history be a very different place by the end of the decade.

If it's ever extended to Square One, a detour to Sherway along the way wouldn't add much time/distance and would generate more trips than a line that didn't go there, but I wonder if Sherway even wants the subway...

Other than Sherway, I don't see much to service on the way to Mississauga City Centre. If only there was a rapit transit solution from MCC to the TTC.

True, the Mississauga Transitway will eventually get built, but its first phase only goes to like Renforth or something, which is totally inadequate. Stupid Mississauga for refusing to pitch in to fix up Kipling. Even York is pitching in with the Spadina Extension (if it happens).

Speaking of the Mississauga Transitway, is it ever going to start contruction? They have 2/3s of the money, why not just do 2/3 of the first phase?

Back