Is tuition free now?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Admiral Beez, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Senior Member

Does this mean tuition is free for those under $50K? If so, this seems a kick to those who've been savings RESPs for years.

For many making more than $50K, they'll stop working (cheaper to stay home than pay tuition), especially if they have been investing for their children's tuition in unregistered funds instead of RESPs and can live off the avails of that themselves while their kids go to university with free tuition.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016

2. Johnny Au

Johnny Au Senior Member

Near where the boundaries of North York, York, and
    It is unfortunate that I am one decade too late.

3. Tuscani01

Tuscani01 Senior Member

It covers about $5k a year in tuition... hardly anything to stop working over, especially for a family earning less than $50k a year. These aren't the families that are capable of saving RESP's or saving in non-reg. accounts.

4. Admiral Beez

IMO, tuition should have nothing to do with the family. The system presumes the family is willing to assist the student.

Back in the early 1990s, my parents didn't give me a penny for tuition, but because my dad was a high income earner I could not get any tuition assistance. Meanwhile a classmate of mine had poor parents so got huge OSAP grants (we had those back then), but had another wealthier relative (an aunt or grandparent, I believe) provide thousands of dollars to cover tuition and housing.

Once you're over 18, you should be judged solely as an adult citizen, not by familial resources.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    W. K. Lis likes this.
  5. stanko

stanko New Member

If you ask me only college tuition should be government subsidized given how universities are pseudo-intellectual money-grabs nowadays

6. King of Kensington

King of Kensington Senior Member

I know! Enough of those useless liberal arts degrees. How many philosophy majors working at Starbucks does the economy need? etc. etc.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  7. stanko

stanko New Member

I don't look down on people who have a desire to study philosophy, quite the contrary, we need people like that in our society. But the way post-secondary education is structured makes it more corporate than anything. The goal is to make your poor soul financially poorer so some deans and other high university officials can come home with $500k yearly salaries. I'm all for public funding and investing in the people but what I'm saying is that we're in need of a much bigger revolution than just subsidizing the way things are right now, because that's too easy but also very inefficient

8. Johnny Au

Johnny Au Senior Member

We also don't need GIS technicians flipping burgers at McDonald's or greeting customers at Dollarama either.

9. Tuscani01

Tuscani01 Senior Member

Mind you, I'm sure McDonalds and Dollarama both employ GIS technicians... Gotta start somewhere.

10. Admiral Beez

I just wish I could find recent grads who are literate. How do you finish a liberal arts degree and not know how to construct a proper sentence?

11. Johnny Au

Johnny Au Senior Member

There's no doubt McDonald's and Dollarama employ GIS technicians. How else would customers find the nearest McDonald's or Dollarama online?

However, they don't hire that many and most end up flipping burgers or greeting customers.

12. Admiral Beez

junctionist likes this.
  13. W. K. Lis

W. K. Lis Superstar

International students at Canadian universities and collages pay a much higher tuition fee than citizens and full-time legal residents of Canada.

14. Admiral Beez

Certainly, and rightfully so. The same restriction should apply to Canadian citizens who have not resided in Canada for years. I'm a UK-born Canuck, but I've haven't lived in Britain since the 1970s and have never worked there - and if I had tried to go to a British university I would have paid the international rate for tuition.