News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 530     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Is there any residential concentration of City Workers in Toronto itself?

King of Kensington

Member Bio
Reaction score
I recall reading that something like 85% of Toronto's police force lives in the 905 region.

I believe Durham Region in particular has a good number of police, firefighters and TTC workers.

But is there any residential concentrations in the 416? In NYC, there's Staten Island. The southwest side of Chicago is as well I believe (Richard Daley Sr. instituted a policy requiring city employees to live in the city of Chicago).

I know a lot of the trade positions that have odd 6-3 shifts often live far away. A city gardener I chatted with one day last Spring commuted every day from Barrie. Similarly, I know personally or have heard of a disproportionate number of police officers in the GTA living in Barrie... a family friend says that it has always been refuge for GTA cops.

In Hamilton, a close friend's uncle is a TTC driver who lives in the small town of Binbrook, which at 5 AM can get you to the Lakeshore bus garage in an hour.

Growing up in the 90s in the East Danforth area, a lot of neighbours were city employees like librarians and childcare workers. I imagine that their new cohort would be priced out of the same area now.

Last edited:

Back