News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.4K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

is racism common in Toronto?

sangcho1989

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ive grew up in a racist free (BC, CANADA) environment. Canada is said to be racist free all around, but i bet there are exceptions. is toronto one of them??

Racism exists everywhere, but I'm going to go ahead and make the bold statement that Toronto is one of the least racist places on the planet. Doesn't mean it's completely racism-free, I've had a few racist experiences but the vast majority of my experience has been positive. There's actually more racism in immigrant communities here than mainstream society.

I'd say it's more common than people think. I'd also say Canada is very far from being free of racism.

Most racism I've ever encountered has been among immigrants; Rumanian immigrants going on endlessly about Gypsies ... Chinese immigrants threatening to disown their child if they married someone who was white. Absolute shameful behaviour ...

Perhaps as Toronto has more immigrants than anywhere else, there is more racism here?

But I'd think this is a problem in BC too ... and I can't think there's more here than there.

No one else seemed to notice, but the original poster is obviously trolling.

Toronto is not perfect, but as a black male in his mid twenties I have never felt overt discrimination against me except for one case where a deaf tourist appeared to make a comment to her family about me being at a restaurant with a white woman. I assume it was a tourist because I overheard some members of the group talking about "the time zone back home."

It's not to say that I don't feel out of place at times. I like to bike through ritzy neighbourhoods and look at the houses and I do sometimes feel that people are staring at me - but that's about it.

I'm more concerned about people who perceive that their race limits their socio-economic progress and as a result they don't even try.

Do we confuse racism with xenophobia or social profiling sometimes? I mean, don't we all rush to certain knee-jerk unconscious conclusions or judgements under certain circumstances?? It's kind of part of the genetic hardwiring of our protective armor, no? It's basically the same old question of whether a women who avoids getting on an elevator alone with a man at night is being judgementally sexist or simply wise?... At the same time we can definitely recognize true ugly racism when it rears its head and there is little of rationality behind it. I would say there is probably as much of the former in Toronto as anywhere else but probably less of the latter.

There is racism. But most people are afraid to express that view.
I really don't think there is much outside of immigrant communities as discussed above. I've lived here, and in other countries. In other places, I have had people I know come up to me and make the most bizarre racist comments; I just haven't heard that here. Bizarre anti-Quebec comments perhaps; even bizarre anti-gay comments, even bizarre anti-Toronto comments. But not racist ... I've seen no shortage of bigotry, but little evidence of racism.

Depends what you mean by racism? If you mean do some people (of all ethnicities) sit at home in private and talk about this group or that group ruining the city/world -then yes, that probably happens.

But if you mean when you move into a neighborhood will they burn a cross on your lawn and firebomb your house because you don't have the right color skin? Unlikely

Or if you mean when you apply for a job will you not get that job based on your racial group? Again, unlikely but you can never be sure.

Will you get attacked for being in the "wrong" neighborhood? Not likely again.

Most people in Toronto have accepted the fact that their city is a big giant melting pot/mosaic. And those that haven't are either really old and going to die soon or have moved to Oshawa.

Depends what you mean by racism? If you mean do some people (of all ethnicities) sit at home in private and talk about this group or that group ruining the city/world -then yes, that probably happens.
I'm sure that it happens, but I don't think it's common among Canadian-born folks. Certainly not compared to what I've seen in other countries. It was to exactly this that I was referring; what is said when you think everyone agrees with you.

Ive grew up in a racist free (BC, CANADA) environment. Canada is said to be racist free all around, but i bet there are exceptions. is toronto one of them??

I agree with afransen. Either you're a troll, or so profoundly ignorant of well-documented social realities.

Since you're attending U of T - one of our best universities and one where you have to write an essay demonstrating critical thinking skills to enter - I am inclined to believe that you are the former.

Back