News   Apr 17, 2024
 596     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 303     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Is or has gentrification ever characterized Toronto's municipalities boroughs/inner suburbs?

wild goose chase

Member Bio
Reaction score
The talk of gentrification of course is focused on Old Toronto, but I wonder, is there or can there be any kind of gentrification, as commonly defined, in the other boroughs?

While I doubt somewhere like Jane and Finch is going to get the Regent Park treatment any time soon or that any wealthier people (wherever they come from, be it downtowners priced out by even wealthier downtowners, or say people from outside Toronto) are clamouring to take over Ford Nation, I do wonder to what extent you can even say gentrification reaches into the inner suburbs. Have any inner suburbs gone from middle class to working class and then back to middle class or higher again?

Will transit-oriented growth (which I sort of see a bit of in parts of North York where I noticed old buildings come down as condos go up along say the Sheppard line) cause some amount of displacement of and pricing out of locals that people refer to as gentrification?

Will transit-oriented growth (which I sort of see a bit of in parts of North York where I noticed old buildings come down as condos go up along say the Sheppard line) cause some amount of displacement of and pricing out of locals that people refer to as gentrification?

Central North York was never a working class area, so no.

The talk of gentrification of course is focused on Old Toronto, but I wonder, is there or can there be any kind of gentrification, as commonly defined, in the other boroughs?

While I doubt somewhere like Jane and Finch is going to get the Regent Park treatment any time soon or that any wealthier people (wherever they come from, be it downtowners priced out by even wealthier downtowners, or say people from outside Toronto) are clamouring to take over Ford Nation, I do wonder to what extent you can even say gentrification reaches into the inner suburbs. Have any inner suburbs gone from middle class to working class and then back to middle class or higher again?

Not sure about the outer boroughs, but Port Credit is certainly a case in the 905.

AoD

I have a sneaking suspicion the combination of the Spadina extension and Finch LRT might see that swath of Downsview improve to a degree. The housing stock is largely intact, well-maintained, and in many cases has ludicrously large and lush lot sizes. The only issues preventing this from going full-bore are the pockets of "priority" housing and some run-down apartment complexes along the Jane, Finch and Keele corridors, but in my mind that's a northern version of Cabbagetown-St. Jamestown-Rosedale cheek-by-jowl co-existence.

When the old city of Toronto stopped annexing bits and pieces of the Township of York by 1914, urban areas of the township started to incorporate themselves. Many parts of the township broke off. The rural farmers of the township broke off to form the Township of North York. Forest Hill in 1923, and Swansea in 1925. By 1924, even the Township of East York broke off from the Township of York.

Each portion seems to rather group themselves into separate entities where their similarities can be tolerated. Forest Hill had a large Jewish population, for example, by the 1930's.

Are places like the more working class/middle class parts of North York, Scarborough and Etobicoke still growing or maintaining their population through people who might have moved to the boroughs a generation or two ago staying and raising families, or from continuing to be immigration gateways (seems like the 905 is more of an immigration magnet than the "inner suburbs" in the 416 now), or from internal migration between the boroughs, the city or parts of the GTA itself?

I wonder when it comes to the newest transit-oriented growth (eg. the Crosstown, the extensions, the Scarborough subway if it even comes to be) -- who will be the main source of growth -- people somewhat nearby, people farther afield from within the city or those outside it (where the new transit increases desirability to settle in Toronto, be it from other parts of Canada or the world)?

Last edited:

Back