News   Apr 26, 2024
 181     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 370     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 536     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

It is not due to crappy gas, you are mixing octane ratings in North America and Europe: here we calculate it differently (average of RON and MON) than in Europe (RON). So, Our 87 octane corrresponds to 91 in Europe.

oops, was a bit slow to reply.. :)
so you missed what I meant when I said "equivalent to" above, i.e. that I know that Euro 95 is roughly the same as US 91? But what do I know, I only filled my car with it for a decade or more...

If we're talking about potential future lines, personally I think one of the more interesting possibilities is a tram-train line from downtown Kitchener along Victoria St / old Highway 7 to Guelph and the University of Guelph. It would connect a lot of employment lands and land ripe for redevelopment in both cities. On the urban portions, the four car lanes will be easy to reduce after the new Highway 7 opens, and on the rural portion it can run very fast on a separate right of way.

If we're talking about potential future lines, personally I think one of the more interesting possibilities is a tram-train line from downtown Kitchener along Victoria St / old Highway 7 to Guelph and the University of Guelph. It would connect a lot of employment lands and land ripe for redevelopment in both cities. On the urban portions, the four car lanes will be easy to reduce after the new Highway 7 opens, and on the rural portion it can run very fast on a separate right of way.

I think the smarter option would be an EMU shuttle run by GO--seems to make much more sense than constructing an entirely separate line where one already exists and just needs an additional track and electrification, which are already planned anyways.

That said, I'd love to see that service, and I think many KW and Guelph residents would as well. The current lack of fast, reliable, direct transit between the two cities right next to each other seems rather absurd.

I think the smarter option would be an EMU shuttle run by GO--seems to make much more sense than constructing an entirely separate line where one already exists and just needs an additional track and electrification, which are already planned anyways.

That said, I'd love to see that service, and I think many KW and Guelph residents would as well. The current lack of fast, reliable, direct transit between the two cities right next to each other seems rather absurd.

So, GO intercity service would be very welcome, and there's existing efforts to make that happen. But in my suggestion I'm not talking about a downtown-to-downtown connection, I'm talking instead about all the stuff in between that needs local transit. Victoria Street North in Kitchener, Woodlawn Road in Guelph, Woolwich St, etc. Those are existing transit corridors that would be much stronger if they were linked together across municipal boundaries.

So, GO intercity service would be very welcome, and there's existing efforts to make that happen. But in my suggestion I'm not talking about a downtown-to-downtown connection, I'm talking instead about all the stuff in between that needs local transit. Victoria Street North in Kitchener, Woodlawn Road in Guelph, Woolwich St, etc. Those are existing transit corridors that would be much stronger if they were linked together across municipal boundaries.

These areas are very spread out and not suitable to high order transit. probably not even a BRT for the foreseeable future (other than light jumping lanes)

And the added fact of trying to lay an extra 13 km of track between the 2 cities without a stop. Very cost prohibitive.

You would also need to have the added fun of an EA and consultations with the Six Nations regarding a crossing of the Grand.

Octane has no bearing on gas quality. If your cars engine requires 87 octane, using anything above 87 octane will have 0 effect on your engine and car. My father worked for one of the biggest Oil Refining companies in Canada for 15 years as a top manager; and those are his words not mine.

As a car gets older the carbon buildup inside the engine may cause pinging. Using higher octane fuel will help reduce this once....so unless the owner manual stipulates a higher octane level it is only worthwhile on older cars that ping (>5 years)

As a car gets older the carbon buildup inside the engine may cause pinging. Using higher octane fuel will help reduce this once....so unless the owner manual stipulates a higher octane level it is only worthwhile on older cars that ping (>5 years)

There are fuel system additives to fix that problem. Cost you much less and are specifically designed to treat the problem... so you don't even need higher octane fuel for older cars!

Agreed. Run an O-Train style service from Ira Needles to Guelph with more local stop spacing, and run full GO service to Toronto on the same corridor making limited stops.

Also, I'd like to see the rail corridor between Guelph and Cambridge re-activated and a similar service initiated there. That way in essence you would have a triangle of services covering the entire KWCG area (PS: we really need to come up with a better name for that area, because it's going to grow into one region and that acronym is a mouthful). KWC is LRT, KG is DMU or EMU, CG is DMU or EMU.

Unless you have a carburetor, this point is useless. Your computer will adjust the timing of the spark as well as the timing and amount of fuel. In essence, you could take a high performance engine and run it on 86 octane instead of 91 octane. You would just notice poor performance.

... back to talk about the LRT.

I get that it's not in service yet. But I doubt I'd feel entitled enough to just park there. But my Dad would. :-(

Lol at your dad.

Unfortunately the contractors are still actively working to string the catenary, so this _is_ a problem. The bylaws came into effect on Jan 1 so at least now they can tow the people that impede the work.

Back