News   Apr 23, 2024
 358     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 358     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 600     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

July o3
Part 2
Watching driver ignoring the large road close signs was a laugh, as they would try to see if they could do a short cut only to find out they had to turn around. I said to a few drives "I guese you can't read signs"?

One need to set up a video to watch the northbound traffic on Courtland Ave, south of Brock Line Rd in the construction to see how drivers drive this area and it would a laugh.

You have the traffic going north on a single dirt lane with some drivers whipping down it to other who were lucky to be doing 20k. The first section of the northbound lanes at Brock line have been pave with cones for the driveways in this some area. Some drivers jump onto the pave area at the south end thinking they could get away not using the dirt road, only to fine the driveway cones blocking their way. They were forced back to the dirt road. Some drivers were playing the following the leader onto the pave while other just stay on the dirt road and bypass these cars.

Then there were a number of cars turning off the side streets and going south in the yet to be pave area and forced to wait for sometime for the northbound traffic to stop coming so they could get to Balzer and then head toward the Mall.

Was lazy as I didn't walk Hayward Ave to the RR corridor to see what has taken place since my last trip, but nothing has taken place on Hayward since that trip. Until this road is 100% comply and open, Brock Line can't be close to allow rebuilding the southbound lanes and the side LRT line.

All the grading is done between the 2 roads with piers in place for most of it for the centre poles. Rail on site and expecting this area to be built RR style.

Until the northbound lanes are pave and traffic move to it, very little work can take place for the southbound lanes and the LRT. I expect to see traffic going both way and the removal of the detour.

The hydro ROW is seeing the southbound track being lay RR style like I expected. Your Home Depot fencing system post are installed all along the north side and there is no provision for any crossing for the residents in the area to get to their shopping or eating area without getting into a car to do so now. I was expecting this and it shows how one area is better off having the crossing while others done. The University has 2 flashing crossing for students who may stay the 4 years there, yet the local who live there longer get the finger. Talking to a few locols, they are piss off with the plan to closs the the are to them to get to the south.

Since there are a number of business backing onto the LRT line that don't have fences, are they now force to install one or is the Region going to do it?? I expect with in hours or a day once the chain link fence goes up, holes will be cut in it to allow people to cross the tracks. There are a number of existing walkways that could have the flashing light or this a NIMBY by a few local/business stopping it??

The retaining wall for the Mall station is done, but very little else.
28120911135_db93150ce6_h.jpg

28086824706_ddc548abb9_h.jpg

28018283982_96b9215957_h.jpg

27506017183_97135fdbcf_h.jpg

28086875346_75f9f41c6d_h.jpg

28018305322_1a31e67e2f_h.jpg

28086913636_5c9e1b7fa0_h.jpg

27506077093_c7fcbb4ba7_h.jpg

28121040345_953805c03d_h.jpg

27840613590_1af3743a4b_h.jpg

27840632480_477d470fe5_h.jpg

27506119453_741ce9d235_h.jpg

The hydro ROW is seeing the southbound track being lay RR style like I expected. Your Home Depot fencing system post are installed all along the north side and there is no provision for any crossing for the residents in the area to get to their shopping or eating area without getting into a car to do so now. I was expecting this and it shows how one area is better off having the crossing while others done. The University has 2 flashing crossing for students who may stay the 4 years there, yet the local who live there longer get the finger. Talking to a few locols, they are piss off with the plan to closs the the are to them to get to the south.
Yeah, it's pretty terrible. It's a huge distance to have to detour around.

Since there are a number of business backing onto the LRT line that don't have fences, are they now force to install one or is the Region going to do it?? I expect with in hours or a day once the chain link fence goes up, holes will be cut in it to allow people to cross the tracks. There are a number of existing walkways that could have the flashing light or this a NIMBY by a few local/business stopping it??
I expect that, like along the rest of the rail-right-of-way section, GrankLink will be installing a fence on both sides of the tracks. I don't see why the property owners would need to install one of their own.

And yeah, holes are going to go in these fences real fast. There were about 3 evenly spaced crossings through the hydro corridor before.

I suspect the reason they didn't install any crossings is because none "existed" before. There were no official crossings. Only informal ones that emerged into the back of the properties on Fairway. Installing an official crossing means getting a property owner on-side, and that is more work than they were clearly willing to do.

Yeah, it's pretty terrible. It's a huge distance to have to detour around.

I expect that, like along the rest of the rail-right-of-way section, GrankLink will be installing a fence on both sides of the tracks. I don't see why the property owners would need to install one of their own.

And yeah, holes are going to go in these fences real fast. There were about 3 evenly spaced crossings through the hydro corridor before.

I suspect the reason they didn't install any crossings is because none "existed" before. There were no official crossings. Only informal ones that emerged into the back of the properties on Fairway. Installing an official crossing means getting a property owner on-side, and that is more work than they were clearly willing to do.
Well, did the University had crossing before the line got built there or something to please everyone there??

There are a number of business who see people coming to them this way as well use their property to get to other place. Sure they would be willing have a crossing there if it cost them nothing.

The Hydro corridor from plans I have seen, had a pathway along it as well to a few business. Even walking the ROW, there are built walkway on the north side and the odd area on the south side, but more cut threw.

GrankLink is only doing what in the contract set by the Region as well per design. I have sent a letter to the Region on this issue since I feel this area should be better treated than the University since these are tax payers and a fair number have no car in the first place. The accessiblity community is getting the short stick as well. To travel that Looong distance is some what ok at this time of the year, but the winter will be hell.

All the poles are in place on the north side.

Yeah, the University had official crossings of the rail line beforehand. A lot of decisions for ION have been made via least resistance. Is there an offical crossing already? Okay, put in a crossing. It doesn't? Not our problem then.

There are a lot of places all over town where sober second thought was needed, but in the interests of getting it built quickly without cost overruns, there's been no time for changes to plans.

Also, I feel I need to remind you that even university students pay property taxes. We can say that it's terrible that this neighbourhood has been cut off without making it "us vs. them".

Yeah, the University had official crossings of the rail line beforehand. A lot of decisions for ION have been made via least resistance. Is there an offical crossing already? Okay, put in a crossing. It doesn't? Not our problem then.

There are a lot of places all over town where sober second thought was needed, but in the interests of getting it built quickly without cost overruns, there's been no time for changes to plans.

Also, I feel I need to remind you that even university students pay property taxes. We can say that it's terrible that this neighbourhood has been cut off without making it "us vs. them".
In some ways it's probably a good strategy. They can always revisit for a relatively low cost adding crossings where there are obvious needs.

The last thing you want to do is have a crazy property owner feeling like they need to cancel the entire route because they are being treated badly. However once the thing is done you can do improvements for safety or due to community complaints a lot easier.

In some ways it's probably a good strategy. They can always revisit for a relatively low cost adding crossings where there are obvious needs.
I sure hope so.
Though, it's going to be years before we see such fixes in place. There's a certain amount of sticker shock as it is; there won't be political will to spend any money on the section that's already built for quite some time.

Awesome updates here. As someone Waterloo born and raised and who was an advocate for LRT in the Region, it's amazing to see it coming to fruition. Between visits to Waterloo, this thread keeps me on the edge of my seat for 2017!

For something that's not in Toronto, it's interesting that this thread gets far more photo updates than the Spadina subway extension.

How is an LRT line supposed to be built? I don't see what in the article is an example of how not to build an LRT.
It may not been in the article, but the way this line is being built only reinforce the anti LRT force view why these lines shouldn't be built.

As a pedestrian and relying on Transit to get around, not a lot of fun from my point of view on my trips as both a driver and pedestrian. Even how roads are close off for drivers is unreal walking the streets.

I think too many of the naysayers are arguing on short term pains. (depends on the project...ECT maybe a bit justified). I guarantee that most of them
will jump the bandwagon and will be heaping praises as soon as it opens, or at the very least swallowing their pride as they ride the train daily.
Sure it sucks if you live close but sometimes its good to adopt the mentality that was displayed by the citizens in the recent article regarding the Montreal RER:
Short term pain for long term gain.

July 31

Trackwork leading into Conestoga Mall terminal in progress. Crew was welding rail on Sunday.
IMG_1346 by ION Construction, on Flickr

King and Northfield intersection with track laid.
IMG_1353 by ION Construction, on Flickr

Rails in concrete on Northfield from Highway 85 bridge east
IMG_1360 by ION Construction, on Flickr

Lots of rail laid in the yard.
IMG_1381-1384 by ION Construction, on Flickr

Signalling equipment is being on Waterloo Spur section...
IMG_1386 by ION Construction, on Flickr

... and two signals were active, those surrounding R&T Park station.
IMG_1388 by ION Construction, on Flickr

Station "Wall" frame going up at Waterloo Park station.
IMG_1390 by ION Construction, on Flickr

View from Uptown Waterloo. The newly laid track is for the freight traffic to continue east on.
IMG_1396 by ION Construction, on Flickr

CN Guelph sub being prepared to use new King st. Overpass.
IMG_1419 by ION Construction, on Flickr

Charles looking complete north of Benton
IMG_1437 by ION Construction, on Flickr

Huron Park Spur shifted west, now room for LRT between Borden and Ottawa.
IMG_1452 by ION Construction, on Flickr

Bidirectional traffic resumes on Courtland.
IMG_1457 by ION Construction, on Flickr

Curve and new crossing from Courtland onto the Hydro ROW
IMG_1461 by ION Construction, on Flickr

Rest of album here on Flickr.

Back