News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Wow, the bar for ministerial announcements has gotten pretty low. What's next? Curbs and line painting?

Wow, the bar for ministerial announcements has gotten pretty low. What's next? Curbs and line painting?
Its been low for decades and a PR platform to say "Look at what I/we (Government) am doing with your tax dollars to build a Transit Network as well doing some work"

Its a baby step going to buses at first, since you need the ridership first before moving to the next step. I did say go with buses first, as its the cheapest of all modes as well faster to start up.

Its a baby step going to buses at first, since you need the ridership first before moving to the next step. I did say go with buses first, as its the cheapest of all modes as well faster to start up.
There's already 19 buses a day from Cambridge to Milton. Now there's 23 ...

I wonder how much time and money was wasted with this photo op. At this rate, it wouldnt surprise me if they had a photo op every time they implement additional bus/train service on an existing GO route.

This is ridiculous. Nobody's paying attention. The Brantford route was a relatively big deal - the city was pushing for it, and it's an expansion to GO's service area. It will take time to market the new service. But a few new weekday buses to Cambridge? That was ridiculous.

This is ridiculous. Nobody's paying attention. The Brantford route was a relatively big deal - the city was pushing for it, and it's an expansion to GO's service area. It will take time to market the new service. But a few new weekday buses to Cambridge? That was ridiculous.

Disagree. This may not sound like much, but I think it's a worthwhile improvement for Cambridge. The status quo is a by-request-only stop (Westbound, at least) on the 25 route at Smartcentres which is convenient to few. At least this is a bus that is dedicated to serving Cambridge, will be close to the UW School of Architecture, a transit hub and the closest thing that Cambridge has to a downtown.

All that being said, it's not a step towards GO Train Service. We all know that needs more capacity East of Milton before Cambridge has any shot at it.

On a related note, I sure hope the geofencing keeps those GO buses away from the Beverly St. underpass.

that being said, it's not a step towards GO Train Service. We all know that needs more capacity East of Milton before Cambridge has any shot at it.

I don't know what CP's expectations are, but lengthened sidings at Killean/Galt and Puslinch and CTC from Guelph Junction to Orr's Lake would seem to suffice to extend one or two of the current Milton trains. That would provide a minimal peak service. Anything 2-directional is a long way off, as much more cpacity is undoubtedly needed.

- Paul

Did a short tour on my lunch break, a few cell phone pics to share:

Switch into the OMSF for the northbound track has been placed but not yet connected and tamped

Cat poles have been erected for the storage yard and wash facility

Crossing mechanisms installed at Quiet Place

I'd expected that they'd use smaller mechanisms for the pedestrian-only crossings, but this thing is full sized and massively dwarfs you when you stand beside it!

Quiet Place towards Albert McCormick, note the new ION fencing!

Edit, addition: Bearinger was also closed today and they had some crossing plates pulled on the southwest corner with a mini-ex digging a trench alongside the ties. Not sure what they were actually doing though. The tamper and the ballast regulator (edit: thanks for the right word for it crs1026!) were stopped on the southbound track between Quiet Place and Bearinger and somebody was fixing the regulator. Not sure what job the tamper still has to play since the southbound track has been active for freight for a while now, but it looked like the regulator had been cleaning things up heading north on the southbound trackage before it broke down.

Last edited:

Crossing mechanisms installed at Quiet Place

I'd expected that they'd use smaller mechanisms for the pedestrian-only crossings, but this thing is full sized and massively dwarfs you when you stand beside it!

I wonder if the overkill crossing with gates implied a high track speed here - the crossing is near the apex of the curve, so even bikes, pedestrians would need a strong warning if the track speed is high enough.

I've seen a lot of kids playing at this location. The library and rec centre is one side, and there's apartments and a park on the other, which always seemed to have kids running around in the trees, whenever I walked past.

It wasn't unusual to see kids playing on the tracks - which was perfectly safe, as everyone nearby knew when the train passed, and it passed so slow, that it couldn't have run over anyone, unless snuck up behind it, and dove under the front wheels.

There's also a lot of bike traffic.

Back