News   Apr 25, 2024
 24     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 323     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 632     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

The Confederation Line MSF is beside the VIA rail tracks east of Ottawa station. I doubt it would be impossible to roll a Citadis out of there and onto a railcar somehow, on one or other side of Belfast Road for a freight job to pick up. There might be a planning issue if it was deemed that making vehicles for non-OC Transpo use was not within the EA or other zoning/permissions. It is also presuming that the MSF line is not needed immediately during phase 1 on Ottawa LRT buildout, or is in expansion space for a future phase.

The vehicle assembly at the MSF is part of the contract with Rideau Transit Group to deliver a project for Ottawa. The MSF is not and would not be in the business of building Alstom products for other municipalities. It is wishful thinking.

I read that as if ION negotiated their way out of their cars and switched to Alstom. Of course, we are also assuming Alstom's supply chain, assembly process and end product will be trouble free...

EDIT: I also think it's unlikely that standing up a line for 14 cars will work.
That maybe true, but forget starting up in 2017. You only have 14 months to have all 14 cars here to start testing them, train crews and to run 1 month of full testing of service before the line can go into service.

You need that 1 month of full training to train the car drivers, pedestrians as well the crews as this is not your normal LRT line that can be found in NA at this time. You need that time to tweak the schedule time since run time will improve as driver get use to how to operate along the line.

I read that as if ION negotiated their way out of their cars and switched to Alstom. Of course, we are also assuming Alstom's supply chain, assembly process and end product will be trouble free...
EDIT: I also think it's unlikely that standing up a line for 14 cars will work.

That's correct. I was just spitballing how one might protect KW from the impact of slow Bombardier delivery, since they are the most time-sensitive of the generic flavour of Flexity, by jumpstarting a non-Bombardier order.

I agree, a standalone production line for 14 vehicles is problematic. Either Bombardier gets a credible start on deliveries to KW (a huge "if" in my view) or the KW order is shifted to someplace that is churning out vehicles and can add the 14 to somebody else's order. Or we wait. Great set of options, eh?

- Paul

That's correct. I was just spitballing how one might protect KW from the impact of slow Bombardier delivery, since they are the most time-sensitive of the generic flavour of Flexity, by jumpstarting a non-Bombardier order.

I agree, a standalone production line for 14 vehicles is problematic. Either Bombardier gets a credible start on deliveries to KW (a huge "if" in my view) or the KW order is shifted to someplace that is churning out vehicles and can add the 14 to somebody else's order. Or we wait. Great set of options, eh?

- Paul
There are a number of plants in the US looking for work, but most haven't built a 5 section car or over 66 feet 100% lowfloor car. Based on what I seen/read, KW wouldn't have all the cars in 2017 to open their line as plan.

Its possible that TTC is getting less cars this year is to allow KW cars to be built so they can open their line in late 2017 as plan.

It also allow BBD then to showcase those cars to drum up order in the US since been over 10 years they last had an order there even with the bad press.

April 17
I finally got the 700 photos I shot of this line from end to end and highly recommend folks take a walk of this line from end to end where possible. Those who live in the area can do this over a few nice day, but it took me 8 hours to do it. Not the first time I have done some walking of the route, but not much to see in the past as compared today.

Shouldn't had spent the few hours riding the system, as the light/sun was against me doing the south end to the point shots where not that great.
Fairview Mall Station
26417239100_10cd93f3d3_h.jpg

26689930245_1948ecc8a2_h.jpg

26689929575_0bf1e5226c_h.jpg

Hydro Corridor almost ready for RR tracks
26416719180_81c92fff74_h.jpg

26662968736_cc7828c830_h.jpg

26595948322_fb0617449a_h.jpg

26661979456_d1b5be69af_h.jpg

26083094794_3a7881a6cc_h.jpg

26408455110_372498a141_h.jpg

26655183096_0cc3f0d9a7_h.jpg

Waterloo Conestoga Mall LRT Station Being Built
26048799423_472862b9b1_h.jpg

26587085581_a7fa63798d_h.jpg

26379113020_e201007b48_h.jpg

Just saw this press release posted. Anyone want to speculate? ION Phase 2 money from the Province?

Media Advisory
Minister Of Transportation To Make Transit Announcement
April 28, 2016 2:00 P.M.

Ministry of Transportation

Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation, will make an announcement about transit. The Minister will be joined by Cambridge MPP Kathryn McGarry and Mayor of Cambridge Doug Craig.

Date: Friday, April 29, 2016
Time: 9:30 a.m.
35 Ainslie Street South
Cambridge

Maybe extending GO bus services directly in downtown Galt instead of just serving Cambridge via the Hespeler Road SmartCentre?

Oh, oh, maybe they're extending a single GO train to Cambridge and building an asphalt strip of a station platform. :p

I'd assume there'd be some regional representation if it was an Ion announcement.

And as they are currently doing announcements related to the June 2016 service changes, I'll guess a GO Transit bus service. I'm not sure there's enough time between now and June to prepare for GO Train service - though I guess they can simply stop at the existing station, not use the building, and only open the doors on a few cars.

If its has to do with running one Milton Train each way on CP Tracks, Its Time that Metrolinx stop their BS and foot dragging and build the 4 track that CP wants on the Milton Line as well being part of Wynn Written Transit Platform in 2014. Going to have to built a layover near the Galt station as it will be costly to run a train to/from Milton to enter/leave service at Galt. Even if you run a train to/from the new Kitchener Layover Yard.

You could take one of UPX DMU once it replace by eMU to operate between Galt and Milton and this will require riders to change trains at Milton. Best to start with a bus.

The 3rd track was to be in service in 2011 with parts of it built before 2011, but missing large sections. Then there a few grade crossing that needs separation with Mississauga Rd being the worse one to be done as well costly.

To take the Milton Line to Galt, that corridor needs to be upgraded to 2/3 tracks with a station a Hwy 6 as well Galt. Again, doesn't need to be a 12 car train since the ridership will be low for the next decade or 2 to allow all day service hourly or 2.

Taking the ION south of Fairview Mall is going to cost a few headaches getting out of it onto Hwy 8, but time to plan for it so construction can start in 2018.

There simply isn't enough time to do the prep work and construction to initiate a GO train to Kitchener by June. And not enough honchos coming to the photo op for that. So I'd bet it is a bus service announcement.

The RER Business Case documents lay out fairly plainly just how much CP wants to put RER on the Galt Sub. It would take a political decision to put money towartds that. I bet that a one or two train extension of the current Milton service might be doable - CP has been dragging its feet on signals replacement on the Galt, wouldnt surprise me if in part they were hoping GO could pay for that.

- Paul

Those who guessed bus were correct. New GO bus service from Cambridge to Milton GO. Press release here.

News Release
Ontario Adding Twelve Weekday GO Bus Trips Between Cambridge and Milton
Increased Service to Start Fall 2016
April 29, 2016 9:30 A.M.

Ministry of Transportation

Ontario is expanding GO bus service between Cambridge and the Milton GO Station to increase access to transit and manage congestion.

Starting this fall, additional GO bus trips will operate weekdays to provide timed connections with GO train service. The following trips will be added:

• Four morning peak period trips from Cambridge to Milton
  • Four afternoon peak period trips from Milton to Cambridge
  • Two early-homebound and two late-evening homebound trips from Milton to Cambridge.
Ontario is making the largest investment in public infrastructure in the province's history -- about $160 billion over 12 years, which is supporting 110,000 jobs every year across the province, with projects such as roads, bridges, transit systems, schools and hospitals. In 2015, the province announced support for more than 325 projects that will keep people and goods moving, connect communities and improve quality of life. Expanding GO bus service between Cambridge and the GO train network builds on that progress.

Managing congestion is part of the government's economic plan to build Ontario up and deliver on its number-one priority to grow the economy and create jobs. The four-part plan includes investing in talent and skills, including helping more people get and create the jobs of the future by expanding access to high-quality college and university education. The plan is investing in a low-carbon economy driven by innovative, high-growth, export-oriented businesses. The plan is also helping working Ontarians achieve a more secure retirement.

Quick Facts
  • Since 2003, Ontario has extended GO’s rail network by nearly 90 kilometres, opened 14 new GO stations, rebuilt four existing stations, and added more than 31,000 new parking spots across the system.
  • Regional transit investments in GO rail and bus services help to provide a viable alternative to the private automobile which can lead to a decrease in GHG emissions.
  • Research shows that every $100 million of public infrastructure investment in Ontario boosts GDP by $114 million, particularly in construction and manufacturing sectors.
Quotes

“Transit investments like the one we are making in Cambridge help to better connect people to school and jobs and strengthen our communities. This is further proof of our government’s commitment to provide accessible, modern transit infrastructure that will reduce commute times and improve the quality of life for Ontarians.”

Steven Del Duca

Minister of Transportation

“The government is listening to our local needs, and this is great news for commuters in Cambridge. The expansion of bus service will provide more connections to the whole GO network.”

Kathryn McGarry

MPP for Cambridge, and Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Transportation

“Keeping our region moving means making it as easy as possible for our customers to connect with our services. Strengthening ties between Cambridge and our GO train network will give people more options to get around in their everyday lives.”

Bruce McCuaig

President and CEO, Metrolinx

Back