News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 836     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

I could be wrong but has Bombardier actually won the contracts to supply LRVs for Hamilton, Hurontario and Finch? I thought a RFP still had to be issued for each of those lines where various companies could bid?
See 6 years ago:

Metrolinx spends $770-million to order 182 LRT vehicles from Bombardier
Ontario's Metrolinx transportation agency has placed a $770-million order with Bombardier Transportation to buy 182 light rail vehicles after the province gave the green light to its transit expansion plan.
[...]
The vehicles will be used on four light rail transit projects in Toronto: Sheppard East, Eglinton Crosstown, Finch and Scarborough replacement/extension.
The lines they're planning on using the LRVs on has changed, but the order remains.

Ion's trains are being designed to have a uniform look and feel to all the other lines so they are very much thinking forward like that. I spoke with the designer about this recently. So yes, FLEXITY Freedom will be used on the other lines.

Thanks. I guess I wasn't clear on if the Hurontario and Hamilton lines were included in that order. I thought I read something in a Mississauga staff report that showed a RFP for vehicles but I could be mistaken. I'll have to go back and take a look . I think the report was around June 2015.

See 6 years ago:

Metrolinx spends $770-million to order 182 LRT vehicles from Bombardier

The lines they're planning on using the LRVs on has changed, but the order remains.

I could be wrong but has Bombardier actually won the contracts to supply LRVs for Hamilton, Hurontario and Finch? I thought a RFP still had to be issued for each of those lines where various companies could bid?
No final conformation for Hamilton or Hurontario. But Bombardier was awarded the contract for Finch back in 2010, as part of the 182-car order for Eglinton, Sheppard East, and the SRT to LRT conversion.

Given that 35 of the 182 cars were for Sheppard East was then scheduled to open in 2014 , it's hard to comprehend how Bombardier thought they were going to pull that off.

48 of the 182 cars were for the SRT conversion to LRT - Metrolinx has made comments that with that project most likely cancelled, that they can use the 48 cars on other projects instead - suggesting that Hurontario might well end up with the same - though now there's talk of building Crosstown East and West in the same timeframe, perhaps that's no longer a factor.

And further, the order only started at 182 cars, and had options for more:

Ontario's Metrolinx transportation agency has placed a $770-million order with Bombardier Transportation to buy 182 light rail vehicles after the province gave the green light to its transit expansion plan.
The government-owned regional transportation agency still has an option for up to 118 more vehicles. Another option for 100 vehicles has yet to be assigned.

Of course, if confidence is sufficiently shaken in Bombardier, then they would likely not take up those options, and issue RFQs.

The order started with 204 plus an option for 400 more for TTC. When Metrolinx took over the Transit City work, TTC transferred them an option for 300 vehicles. Metrolinx later transferred 14 with an option for 14 more to Waterloo. So, if I've got my math correct, 400 have been ordered, Waterloo has an option for 14, Metrolinx has an option for 90 more. And TTC has an option for 100 more (though plans to order another 60).

The spec (clearances, catenary, grades) for KW is generic, as opposed to TTC specific, is it not? Who is building LRT's today that could tack 14 extra cars onto the end of their order for KW? What's Ottawa's ability to undertake final assembly of 14 additional cars?

If we have to continue the Bombardier order, we ought to reduce the non-TTC component by the 60 extra cars that TTC wants and convert the order to more TTC cars. Let Bombardier continue to plod along building TTC spec cars, but cut them out of the remaining new business. Divert Hamilton, and Hurontario, and KW to a new vendor. Finch too, if possible.

- Paul

Here is a great picture I found on Twitter of ION wiring work at the University of Waterloo. The line adds a futuristic vibe to the campus.
CgaketqUsAEUxAZ.jpg:large

Original Tweet: https://twitter.com/vapour999/status/722445638168776704

none they are assembling them in the maintenance yard. A good example of it would be if Bombardier were to set up shop in Leslie barns or in the ones for the crosstown lines.
The Confederation Line MSF is beside the VIA rail tracks east of Ottawa station. I doubt it would be impossible to roll a Citadis out of there and onto a railcar somehow, on one or other side of Belfast Road for a freight job to pick up. There might be a planning issue if it was deemed that making vehicles for non-OC Transpo use was not within the EA or other zoning/permissions. It is also presuming that the MSF line is not needed immediately during phase 1 on Ottawa LRT buildout, or is in expansion space for a future phase.

The Confederation Line MSF is beside the VIA rail tracks east of Ottawa station. I doubt it would be impossible to roll a Citadis out of there and onto a railcar somehow, on one or other side of Belfast Road for a freight job to pick up. There might be a planning issue if it was deemed that making vehicles for non-OC Transpo use was not within the EA or other zoning/permissions. It is also presuming that the MSF line is not needed immediately during phase 1 on Ottawa LRT buildout, or is in expansion space for a future phase.

The Ottawa MSF is separated from the rail line by a large earth berm. It might be possible to get a rail connection into the yard at the east end next to the Pepsi warehouse, but I doubt it. Most of the work for the Ottawa cars is being done in Hornell though, including all welding. Ottawa is primarily doing electrical and finishing work, which could be done in Hornell as well.

More importantly, Bombardier has announced that La Pocatière will be doing some work to help speed up Toronto's streetcars. They could also do work for the Metrolinx cars there.

I wonder if they could set up the Waterloo shop as a final assembly line, with individual segments brought in by truck in less-than-final condition. If it works for Ottawa.....

- Paul

I wonder if they could set up the Waterloo shop as a final assembly line, with individual segments brought in by truck in less-than-final condition. If it works for Ottawa.....
If the problem is the supply chain, and not the Thunder Bay plant (and their ability to churn out GO cars and TR cars in high volumes does suggest the problem isn't in Thunder Bay), then how does moving the assembly somewhere else solve anything?

If the problem is the supply chain, and not the Thunder Bay plant (and their ability to churn out GO cars and TR cars in high volumes does suggest the problem isn't in Thunder Bay), then how does moving the assembly somewhere else solve anything?
I read that as if ION negotiated their way out of their cars and switched to Alstom. Of course, we are also assuming Alstom's supply chain, assembly process and end product will be trouble free...

EDIT: I also think it's unlikely that standing up a line for 14 cars will work.

Back