News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 784     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

When installing ties on what will be a new track, there is virtually no difference in cost between concrete and wooden (or any of the other types of) ties.

When replacing existing ties, however, the economics greatly skew in favour of wooden ties, despite their far shorter average lifespan.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

And if we had that problem with ION, it would be entirely the responsibility of Grandlinq (the private consortium in this P3) to remedy it.
Sure, but financial/operational issues aren't the only consideration if tie replacement meant disruption to service and thereby to the needs of passengers. Obviously it is to be hoped that these ties are properly made and will last their warrantied lifespan.

From this link:
CN_YwF7WcAAGxV-.jpg

Berlin would soon be renamed in 1916 to Kitchener

I always love how they renamed Berlin, which had bad connotations due to World War 1 occuring at the time, to Kitchener. Ah yes, lets rename the city after Lord Kitchener, a merciless war general in Africa who slaughtered many black people. Problem solved!

From this link:
CN_YwF7WcAAGxV-.jpg

Berlin would soon be renamed in 1916 to Kitchener

Metrolinx is very concern that the cars are going to be late being delivery to meet the opening date in 2017, regardless being assure by Thunder Bay they will be delivery on time.

The x-mayor of Kitchener is now on Metrolinx board and will have his hand on the delivery date issue.

Metrolinx is very concern that the cars are going to be late being delivery to meet the opening date in 2017, regardless being assure by Thunder Bay they will be delivery on time.

The x-mayor of Kitchener is now on Metrolinx board and will have his hand on the delivery date issue.

Given how many resources Bombardier has had to redirect towards the TTC streetcar order, that's not surprising. Makes me even more glad that Ottawa decided to go with Alstom instead. Those vehicles are starting to be assembled in Ottawa right now.

The original timeframe had Bombardier providing about 3 TTC vehicles and 3 Metrolinx vehicles a month to meet the various Transit City opening dates. If Bombardier can ramp up to 4 TTC vehicles a month, all they have to do is produce 1 Metrolinx vehicle a month to meet the Waterloo launch.

Hmm, are you able to share a source? This recent article says otherwise:

http://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news/ion-parts-in-production/

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/ion-vehicles-expected-to-arrive-locally-in-late-2016-1.2576034

People have been saying (guessing) that because Toronto's trains are late, ours will be too. Which I think is an erroneous extrapolation.

That's great that Carl Zehr made it onto the board; I'd heard inklings that he was interested, but wasn't aware it had actually happened. He's such a great guy.

Last edited:

"Y'all better have your Flexity Freedoms running before the 2018 election. Or else."

Other cities, including mine, look forward to inspiration from a functioning modern LRT in Ontario, before Hamilton even begins construction.

On my way from class this afternoon; double track from University looking south towards Seagram:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 638
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 625
Reactions: BMO

Back