News   Apr 24, 2024
 948     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 618     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Edit: Hold on a minute, I'm analyzing the ROW profiles here (scroll down a few pages), and it seems like the tracks are in a separate little "basin" created by the curb of the road. I guess this means they could add the track after paving the road.

BUT, the surface of those track "basins" seem to be loose gravel. Are they not going to be using the same cement that they've been using for the road crossings? It's seriously going to be just loose gravel like the CN spur lines that they've been realigning the tracks to? That's kind of gross looking for the middle of the city.
I think that's just a factor of poor labeling. It's pretty much assured that any in-road sections are going to be paved with concrete, to allow emergency services access.
If you go to page 28, you can see what a cross-section looks like when its ballasted track adjacent to a road: sub-ballast, ballast, and then rail ties.
In contrast, the in-road sections always have four layers, which seems like it matches up with the pictures I've seen of TTC streetcar track rebuilds: ballast, base concrete layer, track foundation layer, then in-laid track layer. It's probably a different texture in the diagram because it's a different kind of concrete than the curbs and sidewalks.

July 17 and more up on site
19481299024_2b7a0ff5d7_b.jpg

19915850558_5da14428ff_b.jpg

19917249889_dc3cae8eee_b.jpg

20103964325_7e8c2c5b23_b.jpg

19915879268_fb0f15b3aa_b.jpg

19482907383_4d90a9f64a_b.jpg

Lots of rails have arrived in the past month

attachment.jpg

Over on Waterloo Region Connected, you can see some pictures of new track being laid, just south from the Maintenance facility.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 1,715
Last edited:
Lots of rails indeed.

New rail track laid running south from Rail Maintenance Facility.
Untitled by ION Construction, on Flickr

Crossing at University complete, crews working on Seagram crossing in the distance.

Curbs going in on Caroline, South of William, space for the LRT on the West side of Caroline.

Rails have also arrived on Charles st...

... and on Borden.

Borden paved, footings for OCS poles going in on Borden,West of Courtland.

More photos from today on Flikr

I am really surprised by the concrete ties, considering this project was already considered by many to be overkill for the KW area for the price of LRT.

For the density, the cost, the ridership, the fact that this will carry light LRT trains and the upset over axing the Cambridge portion of the line due to cost, I am surprised they are using more expensive concrete.

We can't even get GO to use that in Toronto!

It's being delivered as a DBFOM contract, so maybe the consortium figured that it would be cheaper over the life of the maintenance contract to build it using more durable materials? I can't imagine that they just decided to spend more for no reason.

Also, there was no "axing of the Cambridge portion". It was always planned to be opened in phases, starting with the higher-ridership northern half, and that is still the plan.

Also, there was no "axing of the Cambridge portion". It was always planned to be opened in phases, starting with the higher-ridership northern half, and that is still the plan.

You are right I am misremembering, however there was a huge push from Cambridge and its Mayor to get the entire line built at once, and I am surprised they wouldn't have pushed for cost saving measures to make it happen.

Unfortunately, the only cost saving measure Cambridge brought to the table was converting the whole line to BRT, which was a non-starter for KW -- for good reason, given projected ridership. In any case, I doubt value engineering would have paid for even 10% of phase 2. Better to build it right and then get the second phase fully funded.

I am really surprised by the concrete ties, considering this project was already considered by many to be overkill for the KW area for the price of LRT.

According to a random paper I found, wood ties are $236K (2007 USD) per mile versus $308K for concrete ties. For 19 km of track times two, we're talking about the difference between $8.5m CAD and $11m, which is less than one-third of one percent of the capital costs of the project. The cost of ties is not a big factor.

According to a random paper I found, wood ties are $236K (2007 USD) per mile versus $308K for concrete ties. For 19 km of track times two, we're talking about the difference between $8.5m CAD and $11m, which is less than one-third of one percent of the capital costs of the project. The cost of ties is not a big factor.

Based on those numbers, the cost difference between wooden and concrete ties is just $1,699,920 (2007 USD). Adjusting for inflation and currency conversion, that's a difference of $2.49 million in Canadian dollars today for this 19 km project. If concrete offers moderate benefits, it's probably worth it.

Back