News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 577     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

What's the issue that they have with integration? And why is it happening now?

Probably they only recently reached the stage where system integration can commence. Given the fact that they spent so long to program the first car i wouldn't be surprised if they didnt even touch this issue until recently.

What's the issue that they have with integration? And why is it happening now?

Well, the fact that a pair of local hoodlums stole more than $50k worth of installed signal components set back the work by some time.

And then there's been issues with the signalling systems themselves - delays in setting up control points, incorrect connections between control points, bad battery backup systems, new and untested equipment to integrate - that have pushed things back as well.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Taken at Fairway on Aug 5th...

Panorama:

Bus entry:

On the road to nowhere (supervisor parking?):

Goodbye Crabby Joe's:

Platform 1:

Platform 2:

End of the line, still some concrete needed:

Toasty:

Because tracks get cold too:

Benched:

You shall not pass!

Crossing over, with Fairway Ion:

Oh what a tangled web:

Switched:

Disconnected:

Wayfinding:

Unlike Hillcrest, the ramp for unloading is mobile. They can move it further down the line and tow 502 to the shop.

Quoting, as it's buried in those images:

And the CBC also reports on the impending delivery: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/lrt-ion-region-bombardier-1.4296705?cmp=rss
Bombardier says it will deliver the next three Ion LRT vehicles to Waterloo region by Thanksgiving.

"Number two is being loaded on a rail car on Friday and it's leaving Kingston on Monday. It should be here about ten days after," Coun. Tom Galloway, chair of the region's planning and works committee, told CBC News.

These next vehicles are ones that can actually move under their own power.

I asked on another forum whether anyone knew if the nightly freight to Elmira was still running. The answer from someone that lives 40m from the tracks is that it is, so it would seem that the Weber St overpass scaffolding would not be an impediment to delivery of the next vehicle. Thank ijmorlan!

The article is saying a ten day journey. The wayfreight that picks the car up only works three days a week, but even so I'm baffled why it would take ten days.

The article is also saying three deliveries by Thanksgiving. For that to be so, there will have to be some additional transporter cars acquired. The other two that have been used to date are both on the road making TTC deliveries and/or returning to Thunder Bay.

- Paul

I said on another forum that it would be irresponsible of Bombardier to not have more transporter cars considering the frequency and volume of expected deliveries for Eglinton Crosstown deliveries next year and the length of time required to ship Valley Line vehicles to Edmonton. That's not even including the transporter cars needed for the expected increase in frequency of Flexity Outlook streetcar deliveries. As to why it takes 10 days: it's loaded up now, a source says the CN local switcher is supposed to pick it up Wednesday which will take it to the closest yard (the closest one i can tell is in Belleville) to ship it to CN MacMillan Yard in Toronto from there it depends on who is contracted to take it to Kitchener. My best guess is GEXR but I'm unsure of how often GEXR is scheduled to depart from CN MacMillan Yard.

Back