News   Apr 23, 2024
 102     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 849     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 288     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

There was an entire article in the Record that used 501B as the train number over and over again after the April Open House. It was painful to read.

It also states that it would be testing in May. No on-track testing has occurred yet.

And I think that's the exact one that put the misnomer in my head, though a few others used 501B too. Thanks! Edited it.

Overall, to be clear, I'm thrilled with the general construction progress of Ion's trackwork, stations, the King/Victoria rail grade separation, etc., and I'm very excited for it to open--I've visited KW many times to see friends and the bus network was clearly struggling for speed and capacity, especially through downtown (or rather uptown Waterloo) at peak hours, and the experience connecting to/from GO/Via trains was terrible with the extended walk+wait especially in the middle of winter while carrying luggage, so I can't wait for that station to move over to the new hub at King.

It's such a shame that BBD is delaying it so badly. I can't wait to see what happens to Eglinton, Finch W, Hurontario, and Hamilton...thank goodness for that Alstom side order.

BTW does anyone know what the timeline is for GO/Via to move to King St and integrate with Ion?

Actually, no. The Confederation Line was supposed to open for limited service by Canada day of 2017, but clearly that has not happened. Although I do understand that no penalties were given to the builders.
I realize it's mostly been covered by others, but I can add:

1) The city did briefly look into a rushed project schedule to finish the LRT by Canada Day 2017, but ultimately it wouldn't work. The tunnel's schedule just couldn't be compressed enough.
2) They had talked about having the downtown stations open for a public preview on Canada Day, but they weren't complete yet. There was never talk of a "limited service"

I realize it's mostly been covered by others, but I can add:

1) The city did briefly look into a rushed project schedule to finish the LRT by Canada Day 2017, but ultimately it wouldn't work. The tunnel's schedule just couldn't be compressed enough.
2) They had talked about having the downtown stations open for a public preview on Canada Day, but they weren't complete yet. There was never talk of a "limited service"

Did the collapse of a section last year affect the schedule significantly?

And I think that's the exact one that put the misnomer in my head, though a few others used 501B too. Thanks! Edited it.

Overall, to be clear, I'm thrilled with the general construction progress of Ion's trackwork, stations, the King/Victoria rail grade separation, etc., and I'm very excited for it to open--I've visited KW many times to see friends and the bus network was clearly struggling for speed and capacity, especially through downtown (or rather uptown Waterloo) at peak hours, and the experience connecting to/from GO/Via trains was terrible with the extended walk+wait especially in the middle of winter while carrying luggage, so I can't wait for that station to move over to the new hub at King.

It's such a shame that BBD is delaying it so badly. I can't wait to see what happens to Eglinton, Finch W, Hurontario, and Hamilton...thank goodness for that Alstom side order.

BTW does anyone know what the timeline is for GO/Via to move to King St and integrate with Ion?

Once again....

Bombardier is not the only one holding up the construction of the line, and depending on the progress of the signal system subcontractor in the past month or two may not even be the critical path anymore.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That's quite the claim. What's your source?

It was posted a couple pages ago.

"There's some engineering that has to be done between Bombardier and Grandlinq in order to install the ... automatic train protection system, which marries up the equipment that Grandlinq has installed in the track with the vehicle, so they can talk to each other," he said.

"That's not a Bombardier responsibility, that's a Grandlinq responsibility. But engineering needs to be done in order to incorporate those pieces onto the Bombardier vehicle. That's not going as quickly as possible."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/lrt-vehicle-two-delayed-delivery-1.4169068

Last edited:
What kind of tunnel issues are they having?
There was the cave in, ceiling coming down during forming, safety issues like I post and so on.,

Is the LRT to run in mixed traffic in this area? I dont see any sort of curb separating cars and the LRT tracks.

The center running sections have a hard curb, the side running sections have a soft curb. It is not mixed traffic though, cars are not permitted in these sections unless crossing to enter/exit a driveway.

The center running sections have a hard curb, the side running sections have a soft curb. It is not mixed traffic though, cars are not permitted in these sections unless crossing to enter/exit a driveway.

hahahahah, yeah... I give this 2 weeks before after, several cars hit by LRTS in the soft curb areas, cars using it as a lane etc, that they rethink that and put up hard curbs.

Back