Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Perhaps it is one of those decisions that may seem like a mistake in the beginning, but will turn out to have hidden benefits later in the future... when different thinking, practices, and technologies are available.
The decision to build a city hall and establish a centre around Square One instead of Cooksville seems increasingly to be a blessing... even when/if that decision was just a move to cater to the car with the nearby access to the 403, at the time.

As a result, and with a future Dundas BRT/LRT as well as a GO RER service at Cooksville, along with a Hurontario LRT, two things will become doable:

A) linking the current/new city centre around Square One with the old city centre around Cooksville
B) rejuvenating Cooksville into a dense, urban secondary centre

Essentially, we now can correct the two problems that came with the relocation from Cooksville to Square One, namely foregoing the train tracks and causing Cooksville to decline in importance.

Instead of having a simple + (plus sign) configuration of development around an intersection, we can now look forward to a future where, with help from Downtown21, we have a more interesting and expansive ♀ (female sign) configuration.
It would be like having a miniature version of downtown Toronto and a smaller North York City Centre further down.

Last edited:
Brampton is a little different than Mississauga. We built a new City Hall, are still finishing off a major expansion of said city hall, built a new theatre and square to go along with that, and are planning a new library & condos etc. all in what is now considered downtown Brampton. For better or worse, that's our city center for at least another generation maybe more. There's also the Go Station and intersection of the Main/Hurontario & Queen corridors. We didn't have to turn this LRT down to look for another alternative. We could have built this LRT, all day Go trains are already being implemented and we were already starting to look at Queen St for increased transit as well. From Steeles up Main St is the most logical and also least intrusive route to downtown Brampton. I've lived here my entire life (almost 40 years) and know the city pretty well and no other route makes more sense to me, imho. Especially given the bigger picture region and GTHA wide. Imagine building the Yonge subway starting at Finch and deciding to end the line at Rosedale station. Or at King, forgoing the obvious connections. That's tantamount to what Brampton has done.

^except Finch was not where the Yonge subway started....it grew south to North not the other way around. the analogy puzzles me.

A more accurate analogy would be stopping the Yonge subway at York Mills instead of extending it to North York Centre.

This stopping the line at Steeles is one of the dumbest things I've seen done in the region recently...Knowing how transit works in this region, it might be stuck there for the forseeable future..

A more accurate analogy would be stopping the Yonge subway at York Mills instead of extending it to North York Centre.

The apt part of the analogy being that the Yonge line did, in fact, end at York Mills for a while - to no one's satisfaction.

Steeles/Hurontario is a bit of a swamp, just like Yonge/York Mills, too.

- Paul

^indeed, but it was always intended to be a temporary terminal, the line up to Finch opened within a year or two of York Mills opening.

^indeed, but it was always intended to be a temporary terminal, the line up to Finch opened within a year or two of York Mills opening.

Yep, the section of the line from York Mills to Finch was under construction at the same time as the section from Eglinton to York Mills. The phased opening was pretty similar to what happened with Bloor-Danforth, where the line initially opened from Keele to Woodbine, and was extended shortly afterwards to Islington and Warden, respectively. It's not like there was any kind of expectation that those would be even semi-permanent terminus points. They were simply logical places at which to break construction phases.

I realize the true history of the subway and it's evolution. I'm just talking in terms of the potential connectivity that is lost to Brampton transit users in not connecting to Brampton Go and potentially whatever is put on Queen St.

Ok think about it like stopping the Yonge line at York Mills & then building the Sheppard line without extending the Yonge north.

I realize the true history of the subway and it's evolution. I'm just talking in terms of the potential connectivity that is lost to Brampton transit users in not connecting to Brampton Go and potentially whatever is put on Queen St.

Ok think about it like stopping the Yonge line at York Mills & then building the Sheppard line without extending the Yonge north.

but if the subway was not extended to Sheppard, maybe the Sheppard subway would not exist? Maybe it would be a transit line more in keeping with its demand profile?

So, in the Brampton context, if (as I think is likely) the "RT" on Queen is deemed to BRT.....what have we lost if that BRT connects to another BRT on main from, say, the Sandalwood terminal to the Gateway Terminal? In fact it might be a more elegant interaction of systems.

Right.
Cheer up cbrown2009, it's only just a temporary bad patch :)
Sooner or later, the fog will slowly lift and the opponents will be outnumbered or convert to proponents out of genuine conviction.
It's only a matter of time before the issue surfaces again with renewed momentum amongst a more welcoming audience, and before you know it, the line is extended.

Brampton is perfectly full of potential and should look forward to a connected future!
This is only a battle in a war.

You'll just have to live with dozens of diesel buses on Main Street for another decade or two.

Perhaps... or perhaps for another year or two.
It's always much more interesting to live life as an optimist, not to mention mentally healthier.
Life becomes more stirring... less numb.

So I just realized another way that Brampton screwed itself with this decision. There's another rapid transit corridor bookmarked by Metrolinx in The Big Move along Main, that continues north of Brampton GO to Snelgrove (the end of the 410). It's in the 15-year plan, so its lower priority but the same time frame. With this decision, any priority it did have probably got knocked down some more.

zSUdpct.png

Back