Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Director of Mississsauga Transit from TTC

New bus boss after commuters who have a choice

By: Torstar Network

October 8, 2007 - He’s got a reputation for steady-handed leadership, but Geoff Marinoff knows he’ll have to shake things up in his new role as director of Mississauga Transit.

An engineer with an appreciation for no-nonsense efficiency born of his Canadian Forces years, Marinoff was hired from the TTC to grab the wheel of Mississauga’s bus system at a time of unprecedented challenge.

Long considered synonymous with sprawl, the city has an urgent need to coax residents out of their cars and onto a bus. It will be the soft-spoken Marinoff’s job to take that bus service where it’s never gone before.

“Where people work, live and play doesn’t respect lines on a map,†he says of the challenge to provide reliable transit links through the city’s labyrinth of subdivisions and industrial sites built to distance homes from high-traffic arteries.

Mississauga Transit’s goal is to increase its 29 million annual bus rides by 25 per cent in the next five years. To do that, it will add 75 buses to its fleet of about 390 and increase service hours from 1.1 million per year to 1.4 million.

The bus garage near Burnhamthorpe and Mavis Rds. is being expanded and the city has taken the lead in testing a regional fare card to make it more convenient for riders to transfer to other transit systems.

There’s a new bus corridor on the books and talk of light rail for the Hurontario and Dundas corridors.

Mississauga Transit has two kinds of customers - captive riders who don’t have access to a car, and those with a choice. Even drivers who won’t take the bus in off-hours can be persuaded to use it to commute to work, if the speed and convenience are competitive.

“What we’re really talking about is getting the ‘choice rider’ to leave the car in the driveway,†says Marinoff, 46, who spent more than seven years at the TTC, most recently as deputy general manager of subway operations.

A long-time resident of Mississauga’s Applewood area, Marinoff points to his own commute as a classic example. Four days a week, he drives. It takes about eight minutes. Once a week he rides the bus, which also takes about eight minutes to get him to the city centre. There, however, he has to wait 16 minutes to catch a connecting bus to the transit offices, near Burnhamthorpe Rd. west of Mavis.

Trim that 16-minute wait by 10 minutes and you’ve got a far better commute option.

“To get that choice rider, we really have to compete on speed. To do that, you need to provide a good service, with good frequencies, with competitive travel times in competition with the car - a pretty daunting task,†he says. “That’s why you have to do things differently than in the past.â€

What Mississauga Transit needs is the backbone that the TTC gives riders with the subway - a spine of frequent, reliable service through a key corridor.

Bus rapid transit with signal priority can help in the short term, and maybe light rail in the longer term, Marinoff says.

“Light rail can provide a level of comfort a city bus doesn’t necessarily provide,†he says. “If itâ€s fast, reliable and free of the road network, it’s very competitive over time.â€

Louroz

What Mississauga Transit needs is the backbone that the TTC gives riders with the subway - a spine of frequent, reliable service through a key corridor.

Definitely. Perhaps a corridor which the subway (or downtown Toronto) Cooksville, MCC, Streetsville, Meadowvale, and the Meadowvale Business Park with quick bus connections to Erin Mills and Credit Valley Hospital. Toss in light rail on Hurontario and you'd have a pretty mature network.

Definitely. Perhaps a corridor which the subway (or downtown Toronto) Cooksville, MCC, Streetsville, Meadowvale, and the Meadowvale Business Park with quick bus connections to Erin Mills and Credit Valley Hospital. Toss in light rail on Hurontario and you'd have a pretty mature network.

You wouldn't be talking about the Milton Corridor S-Bahn via MCC, would you? :)

So what kind of timeframe are they thinking about here? Is this going to be an election thing or are they really serious about getting this done? I think its great that people are thinking and actually pushing for action, but will it just be that in the end? I certainly hope not.

p5

Yup!

p5, this is definitely going to happen. The province is going to sell bonds to finance this, so the money will be there right away.

Uh, I was asking CDL, not you.

Bond issue? Seriously?

Why haven't there been more bond issues in the past? It's such a decent way of raising money for long-term infrastructure and other capital projects, far better than screwy P-3 models.

Oops!

Yup, it's going to be a debt issue of some kind. I remember hearing all about it, but it was some time ago and for some reason I just can't remember the details. This isn't coming out of the annual budget, so the money will be there in a fund for the long term. All the projects on the laundry list should be completed by 2020.

Any S-Bahn style diversion of Milton line should be built through Mississauga Valleys along an existing right-of-way instead of under Hurontario. Another line should built through the 403 and Finch hydro corridors connecting Oakville, MCC, NYCC, and SCC.

Any S-Bahn style diversion of Milton line should be built through Mississauga Valleys along an existing right-of-way instead of under Hurontario. Another line should built through the 403 and Finch hydro corridors connecting Oakville, MCC, NYCC, and SCC.

That's an interesting proposal. Seems like a solid suggestion for utilizing the open space in the hydro corridors.

Wouldn't S-Bahn, wherever it's routed, nullify Cooksville? The station's directly at Hurontario about a kilometre south of MCC. There's no credible way Milton trains could stop at Erindale, MCC AND Cooksvile when they're all so closed to eachother. If the Hurontario LRT can't satisfy customers, I don't know what will. Condo development extending southwards towards the GO station will ensure no S-Bahn whatsoever, ditto on the Geogretown Line wyeing into Pearson.

Wouldn't S-Bahn, wherever it's routed, nullify Cooksville? The station's directly at Hurontario about a kilometre south of MCC.

More like 2-3 kilometres.

There's no credible way Milton trains could stop at Erindale, MCC AND Cooksvile when they're all so closed to eachother.

I don't see why. They are all important stations in their own right. Cooksville in particular is surrounded by high-density development, a station at MCC would not change this.

Wouldn't S-Bahn, wherever it's routed, nullify Cooksville? The station's directly at Hurontario about a kilometre south of MCC. There's no credible way Milton trains could stop at Erindale, MCC AND Cooksvile when they're all so closed to eachother. If the Hurontario LRT can't satisfy customers, I don't know what will. Condo development extending southwards towards the GO station will ensure no S-Bahn whatsoever, ditto on the Geogretown Line wyeing into Pearson.

If you wanted to do this, you're either looking at building a new Cooksville Station on the opposite side of Hurontario followed by a new Erindale station a little further north, or you're looking at a long sweeping line that doubles back on itself twice.

IT might be tricky, but Cooksville and MCC could definitely be done. If we're going to be building tunnels, I'm sure it won't be for the lumbering GO Bilevels we have now but instead for smaller far more nimble trains. Erindale's current location would need a long tunnel to work which wouldn't be worth it. I would be happy to see it relocated a little north to Creditview and the 403 (perhaps with its own interchange).

In fact, with such a serious upgrade it would be wise to completely reassess the locations of all stations along the line.

IT might be tricky, but Cooksville and MCC could definitely be done. If we're going to be building tunnels, I'm sure it won't be for the lumbering GO Bilevels we have now but instead for smaller far more nimble trains. Erindale's current location would need a long tunnel to work which wouldn't be worth it. I would be happy to see it relocated a little north to Creditview and the 403 (perhaps with its own interchange).

In fact, with such a serious upgrade it would be wise to completely reassess the locations of all stations along the line.

Erindale and Cooksville stations are in good locations, it would be a serious mistake relocate them or close them down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back