Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karen Stintz and John Parker aren't even in politics anymore, why we're sticking rigidly to their plan is ridiculous.

It's more than just the "Stintz" and "Parker" plan. It has been endorsed by the Province and a majority of City Council. More than just two people.

Also, I seem to recall (with the risk of going off topic), that some internal folks wanted to use non-LRT technology for Crosstown. Again, this just shows that the notion of "no opposition" or Crosstown have an easy ride, is problematic.

Discussions on the choice of technology for Eglinton Crosstown took place early on; exactly as they should.

Once the LRT technology was selected, and design work started, it was consistently LRT. No delays due to flip-flopping.

No opposition? It would have been up and running already if that were the case. The project was on hold for some time and nearly canceled under Ford, not to mention the Province also pulled and delayed funding. A good portion of the planned route was also cut, so we are getting a trimmed line similar to the HuLRT. This was all enabled by the anti-LRT backlash. The only thing that saved it was the fact that a good portion of it is underground.

1) Loss of the western section cannot be blamed on the Ford's anti-LRT campaign. Before the mayoral campaign even started, the province announced that it will only fund the line from Kennedy to Mt Dennis in Phase I. That was a purely fiscal decision, to limit their short-term commitments.

There is no local opposition to the in-median LRT west of Mt Dennis, either. Once the funding is secured, the construction can proceed.

2) The eastern section went through some turmoil when Ford tried to change its design and connect with SLRT. That had only a small impact on the schedule, because the central tunnel is on the critical path, and the design work on that tunnel continued during the Ford's years.

Again, there is no local opposition to the in-median LRT between the Brentcliffe portal and Kennedy.

There was only one occasion when the public input had (arguably) negative impact on the route design. The locals forced Metrolinx to retain the Leslie station, and thus precluded full grade separation from Yonge all the way to Don Mills. Though, that's a relatively minor design issue, that does not affect the project too much (and can be mitigated completely if the Relief Line East is built soon enough).

There is no local opposition to the in-median LRT west of Mt Dennis, either. Once the funding is secured, the construction can proceed.

There is no direct opposition to an in-median alignment, because that's the only remaining option. However there is pushback over the impact on traffic, particularly left turns. Toronto Council has directed further traffic studies to be performed. The issue is whether duck-unders may be required. Until staff report back, this is unresolved.
There is certainly skepticism in the community about whether the remaining road allotment will be sufficient.

- Paul

There is no direct opposition to an in-median alignment, because that's the only remaining option. However there is pushback over the impact on traffic, particularly left turns. Toronto Council has directed further traffic studies to be performed. The issue is whether duck-unders may be required. Until staff report back, this is unresolved.
There is certainly skepticism in the community about whether the remaining road allotment will be sufficient.

- Paul

That's interesting. I did not know that. I thought they are going to build the western section with wide stop spacing (to fit the mandate of Smart Track / longer range trips), but still entirely in the street median.

Brampton just wants the line tunnelled (roughly for a 1 kilometre stretch) through their downtown core where the roads are incredibly narrow and congested. Is that too much to ask?

If the province isn't willing to pay though, why aren't they willing to pony up the difference if it's so important to them?

Also, I do think this involves more than the 1 km stretch of the core. Seem to me the wealthy homeowners along the route are pushing this off the corridor.

My advice to people when discussing Brampton and this LRT is to check yourself before you write a sentence that starts with "Brampton wants.....".

The essence of the problem is that no one has come up with a solution that warrants that level of statement.

One of the most vocal proponents of the Main Street route on the basis that it is the most direct/straight/logical route is an oppenent of any tunnelled solution.....he happens to be a member of one of the old Churches that line the route and they are all worried about the structural damage they may suffer from tunnelling.

That is just one example of the logical conflict all "solutions" face.

Proponents of the direct up Main route tout how important connecting to the GO station is....,but fall silent on the matter when you point out that all suggested routes do that.

Proponents of LRT in general talk about it being the modern tech and the thing that will really boost transit use......but then those same people will tout the same benefits from BRT on the heavier used Queen Corridor.

The whole discussion has been all over the map and no one (on either side) has found a coherent argument for their position that will bring the >75% of the city's population that will be unaffected (and therefore don't care) onside with them.

One of the most vocal proponents of the Main Street route on the basis that it is the most direct/straight/logical route is an oppenent of any tunnelled solution.....he happens to be a member of one of the old Churches that line the route and they are all worried about the structural damage they may suffer from tunnelling.

Even if Council voted for the tunnel option and got funding, wouldn't it be done via cut and cover? With modern monitoring technology the risk could be mitigated I assume but I'm not an expert. Which group likes Main St but not the tunnel? There's another residents group that wants a tunnel but under the Etobicoke Creek. Is it the same one?

Last edited:
Square One area could benefit from a buried LRT

Was this ever studied in earnest? I wonder what the data would say.

The whole thing about burying LRT is that you can be just as wrong in either direction, and you have to get it right. Do it unnecessarily, and you drive the cost sky high. Decide not to bury it in a tight traffic point, and you impair traffic flow and destroy the value of LRT as a win-win solution. Neither error is acceptable.

- Paul

When is the RFP coming out?? In there presentation recently at Mississauga council they said July. Time is running down...

The RFP information from the fall 2016 display boards (see here) suggests they are now running behind.
Depending how one understand the mean "Will be release for Tender in the summer", it could be still on track or behind. We are still in the summer time frame and to me, it could be now to early September.

The one thing I do know that could be holding the tender up is the final design how the Rathburn lines will connect to Hurontario and going over the 403. The original plan will not work and it was back to the drawing board. It also maybe being delay with the PC Station being underground now. How I read the report, it going to take months to finalize after the tender started by the way of change orders.

You should check 2017 spring boards for current updates. Other than that, sit back and wait for the announcement like I am doing since we have no control over this matter. The city is willing to pay the extra cost to get things done right, even if it add time to the projects.

You should check 2017 spring boards for current updates. Other than that, sit back and wait for the announcement like I am doing since we have no control over this matter. The city is willing to pay the extra cost to get things done right, even if it add time to the projects.
Good point. I forgot about the Spring 2017 display boards. They are here and they have the updated timeline. Also, on Mississauga's main page for the project, here, there are two documents which provide updates on the procurement timeline.

The backgrounder document says: "2017 In Summer 2017, an RFP will be issued to the shortlisted teams to prepare proposals how they will design, build, finance, operate and maintain the LRT project."

The staff report says: "Metrolinx revised the HuLRT Project Schedule and anticipates the release of the Request for Proposals (RFP) in the summer of 2017. The RFP will include various elements such as: a Project Agreement; Project Specific Output Specifications (PSOS); and a Reference Concept Design (RCD).

In addition, a data room is being established to provide various supporting documentation for the procurement process. The procurement package will reflect the requirements for the design, build, finance, operation, and maintenance of this project, along with reflecting the recent Alstom light rail vehicle supply agreement. Mississauga staff expects to participate in relevant design briefings and commercially confidential vendor meetings as part of the procurement process but will not be directly represented on the final evaluation and selection panel.

The HuLRT Project procurement process is anticipated to be completed in summer 2018 with the financial close and contract award to the successful proponent team to follow, allowing construction to begin later in 2018. The successful proponent team is expected to complete construction and testing by the end of 2022 and will then be responsible for the operations and maintenance of the system for 30 years."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back