Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Aside from the fact the last vote against Main was 7-4....]

The key vote was 6-5.
http://m.bramptonguardian.com/news-story/6058427-brampton-council-votes-down-light-rail-transit-plan

the vote against the Main alignment only shifted from 10-1 against (with the "1" being the former mayor who was the biggest target of the the "change is needed" crowd before the last election) to 7-4 against.

I think that is a huge shift and would have been even larger if the old (possibly corrupt) guard was voted out in 2014.

Who here would be transferring to a GO bus? ...What does it matter where they would be transferring to a GO bus?

For example, if the Main LRT was approved, someone travelling north from Mississauga could have taken a one-seat ride up to the Brampton GO station, and then on to other destinations like Guelph or Kitchener.

Instead, ending the Hurontario LRT at Steeles forces that same rider to transfer from the LRT to a Zum bus to the GO train. That's a huge difference and certainly enough to lead to frustrated and angry commuters.

However I have zero faith whatsoever that said old guard councillors give two cents about said frustrated commuters, because the commuters aren't rich landholders in downtown Brampton. Let's be real.

If Kennedy is chosen, perhaps there's an opportunity to put an infill GO station near Kennedy as well. Yes, it's far from ideal, but it would be less of a circuitous route just to get to the GO line. Build the Queen RT as an LRT as well, and then have both the Queen and Hurontario LRTs use Queen to access downtown and the exiting GO station.

Also, in the medium term, it may be easier to have that become the terminus for RER, assuming the Missing Link isn't built and CN freight is still an issue. At least then you'd have a local RT connection to the RER line.

I guess it depends on where you get your news

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/10/28/brampton-council-rejects-downtown-lrt.html

I think that is a huge shift and would have been even larger if the old (possibly corrupt) guard was voted out in 2014.

really impossible to say because 2 or 3 (depending on the above) of the existing new guard (i guess we are deciding that only old guard can possibly be corrupt?) voted against it.....what makes you so sure that all of the other, non-existant, new guard would have voted "yes"

For example, if the Main LRT was approved, someone travelling north from Mississauga could have taken a one-seat ride up to the Brampton GO station, and then on to other destinations like Guelph or Kitchener.

Instead, ending the Hurontario LRT at Steeles forces that same rider to transfer from the LRT to a Zum bus to the GO train. That's a huge difference and certainly enough to lead to frustrated and angry commuters.

Ah the multitudes of people who would be riding the LRT from some point in Mississauga to Kitchener....all of those people might just figure out that instead of taking an LRT from SQ1 to Brampton GO (which is only about 5 minutes faster than the current Zum buses) to wait for another train to Kitchener they might be better off just taking a GO bus from SQ1 to Kitchener.

However I have zero faith whatsoever that said old guard councillors give two cents about said frustrated commuters, because the commuters aren't rich landholders in downtown Brampton. Let's be real.

It wasn't just people in DT Brampton that voted against the LRT....so I am not sure why you think it was just rich landholders there that were against it. DT is represented by 2 councillors.......9-2 would have approved it you know. ;)

If Kennedy is chosen, perhaps there's an opportunity to put an infill GO station near Kennedy as well. Yes, it's far from ideal, but it would be less of a circuitous route just to get to the GO line. Build the Queen RT as an LRT as well, and then have both the Queen and Hurontario LRTs use Queen to access downtown and the exiting GO station.

Also, in the medium term, it may be easier to have that become the terminus for RER, assuming the Missing Link isn't built and CN freight is still an issue. At least then you'd have a local RT connection to the RER line.
Queen LRT is only slightly less over build than Main LRT.

Queen LRT is only slightly less over build than Main LRT.

Yep, three kilometres of LRT on Main, an extension of a much longer line that is funded and going forward, is slightly more overbuild than a separate line east from Downtown Brampton to who knows where: Bramalea Terminal? Airport Road? Vaughan Centre?

Yep, three kilometres of LRT on Main, an extension of a much longer line that is funded and going forward, is slightly more overbuild than a separate line east from Downtown Brampton to who knows where: Bramalea Terminal? Airport Road? Vaughan Centre?

At least Queen was an identified Metrolinx RT corridor under The Big Move. Same with Steeles, that's why I wouldn't have been opposed with turning it east to Bramalea GO.

Yes but who ever said the letter before "RT" has to be a "L"?

mystery solved.....from the article you linked:

Instead, after months of debate, heated exchanges and intense division in the community, council voted in favour of a separate motion 7-4 (including the mayor) that takes the Main Street surface route, north of the Etobicoke Creek through downtown Brampton off the table permanently.

The problem with Steeles is that Peel Region has identified it as a transportation corridor, ie a trucking corridor. As such, the three lane right of way needs to be maintained if an LRT were to be built. Which means another 15-20 metre widening to accommodate the LRT, which means numerous backyards and/or a residential street and several commercial properties would have to be adversely affected/eliminated.

As for the current makeup of Brampton City Council, I don't know that a 100% new council would have approved the Main alignment in 2015. But some of the reasoning given, especially by the old guard, for rejecting it simply don't line up with a city that should be looking for ways to stay current, attract new business and jobs, and a younger, brighter workforce which would/could actually stay in Brampton, and at least try to revive a downtown that is dying off. Right now Brampton is mainly two things: a bedroom community & low paying, temporary warehouse & big box retail employment.

Back in the 80's, there is a report stating that Hurontario from Cooksville to Brampton was being design as a 9 lane road during the reconstruction of it. If one looks at the set back of various new building built since then, the ROW for the extra 2 lanes exist today. I came upon that report in early 2000's and don't have a clue if I still have it or not, let along where you can find it today.

The same thing applied to Steeles, Eglinton and Burnhamthorpe. Burnhamthorpe has been reduce to local road that will be only 5 lanes wide with the current 7 lanes being reduce over time.

Under Peel Master Plan, LRT exist on Hurontario/Main and on the Lakeshore east of Hurontario only.

By having LRT on Main in the downtown core of Brampton was to kick start making it a busy place as well encourage new development to support it.

We will have to wait until late 2018/19 or 2022 to see if LRT gets put back on Main like it should.

Just wondering if a separate thread should be created for the alternative HMLRT discussion? Given the HuLRT will be a Metrolinx project and the alternative HMLRT process is being run by the City of Brampton, does it make sense to split the topics? They could always be put back together when/if Main Street is ever approved (which I realize may never happen).

Just wondering if a separate thread should be created for the alternative HMLRT discussion? Given the HuLRT will be a Metrolinx project and the alternative HMLRT process is being run by the City of Brampton, does it make sense to split the topics? They could always be put back together when/if Main Street is ever approved (which I realize may never happen).

Brampton LRT thread. I'll second that. That way we can have an isolated bitchfest as to how stupid City of Brampton is.

Back