Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Since their objections to it were very similar to those much maligned objections of some DT Brampton residents....I don't think so.

The NIMBY objections in PC just came earlier (as the project was unveiled to Mississauga much earlier) and they got their voices heard by their council before this project had much of a profile....so they got a bit of a pass relative to their northern counterparts.

Good points. Although I think the geographic situations are a bit different. In PC, you have the GO station on the 'near side' of the village centre, so the section beyond the station didn't have a regional impact if it was chopped off. In Brampton, the GO station is on the far side of the village centre, and therefore the LRT has to go through it in order to accomplish its primary connectivity goal.

If the GO station was at Main & Steeles, I don't think the outcry about the LRT not reaching downtown Brampton would be nearly as high as it is now.

Good points. Although I think the geographic situations are a bit different. In PC, you have the GO station on the 'near side' of the village centre, so the section beyond the station didn't have a regional impact if it was chopped off. In Brampton, the GO station is on the far side of the village centre, and therefore the LRT has to go through it in order to accomplish its primary connectivity goal.

If the GO station was at Main & Steeles, I don't think the outcry about the LRT not reaching downtown Brampton would be nearly as high as it is now.
likely....but the objections of the people on Main in Brampton have been widely mocked....but they were "accepted quietly" in PC...that is all I was saying.

Perhaps the people on Main in Brampton were emboldened by how easily the people in PC got the southern plans changed.....maybe the lesson learned is "don't give in too easily in one area if you foresee a similar "fight" in another area"

Looking at the length of the corridor and the importance and amount of future development potential I can't help but question the choice of LRT capacity wise. One interesting thing will be seeing what is done when the LRT is loaded to the Gills and the capacity needs to be expanded. Any ideas on how that will happen? I can't think of another above ground LRT that could sees similar levels of ridership.

Grade seperation? How would that work? Longer Trains?

Isn't the line being designed to handle up to three LRV sets?

Yes, and with a stated per LRV capacity of 251 that 3 car train only gives you 753 riders per train. While it may not be an issue immediately I think this will be a major issue upon rolling out RER etc. This LRT will eventually link 3 GO Train Lines, a Busway, several BRT lines and another rapid transit that gets built. In addition the entire corridor looks like it will be growing significantly so what I am saying is that this LRT looks like it will become a weak link maybe as soon as within 10-15 years of opening. ATO isn't really an option since the line isn't GS and it will be hard to keep a low headway.

I'm simply saying I don't think a grade level median LRT has ever been built with this much ridership potential and it will be interesting to see how future capacity issues are solved.
750 riders per train ... so if ultimately, trains were every 2 minutes, then that's about 22,500 an hour.

That's a huge capacity. There's no way they'll be moving that many! The Yonge subway is only in the 30-40,000 neighbourhood!

If the Hurontario LRT, a replacement for a route that is currently sufficiently served by buses in mixed traffic, is bursting at the seams at 3-car LRV sets and maximum frequency (~5 minutes for a street running LRT), then there is clearly a larger transit revolution afoot, and there will be appetite for capital spending on either parallel lines to siphon off demand (think Spadina Subway) or a replacement with a subway on Hurontario (Yonge St once had a streetcar too)

If the Hurontario LRT, a replacement for a route that is currently sufficiently served by buses in mixed traffic, is bursting at the seams at 3-car LRV sets and maximum frequency (~5 minutes for a street running LRT), then there is clearly a larger transit revolution afoot, and there will be appetite for capital spending on either parallel lines to siphon off demand (think Spadina Subway) or a replacement with a subway on Hurontario (Yonge St once had a streetcar too)
At that point they will have to go underground to avoid all the flying pigs in the area ;)

Presumably, Brampton Main St are where the pigs are at :).
not really.....in my joke/analogy...."when pigs fly" is when this LRT will not be able to meet the demand.....they will, then, fly last on that contentious stretch (if it is ever built). ;)

The way Hurontario operates for ridership today on a scale of 1 to 10 as follows:

Lakeshore to North Service 1

North Service to Queensway 2

Queensway to Dundas 4

Dundas to Sq One 9

Sq One to Eglinton 6

Eglinton to 401 4

401 to Derry 3

Derry to Brampton 2

Sq One to Brampton as express 9

Sq One to Derry 5

In the future, most will remain the same expect

Dundas to Sq One 10

Queensway to Dundas 6

Sq One to Eglinton 7-8

Sq One to Derry 7

Sq One to Brampton express 10

One only has to look at what MT has done for bus service to see it match what I have posted.

Bulk of all new development will be between Queensway and Eglinton for Residential and office/commercial between 401 & 407.

Article from insauga on Hurontario LRT vehicle procurement:

Who is Building Mississauga's LRT Vehicles?
nitpick alert.....bit of an error very early on.

Although every new project is a game changer, few have been quite as monumental—and quite as controversial—as the incoming Hurontario LRT. The north-south LRT line, set to run down Hurontario Street from Lakeshore in Port Credit to Steeles Ave. W. in Brampton, is slated to break ground in 2018.

Since Brampton splits its streets E/W at Main/Hurontario.....getting a line to Steeles at that point means it is going to, both, Steeles Avenue E and W ;)

Back