Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

The maintenance yard will be next to the 407, laving no room for the proposed bypass tracks for CN.

I was also there last night and the statement above regarding the maintenance yard (MSF) was not mentioned in the presentation or in the display boards so I take it as a personally-speculative unofficial opinion. Nothing wrong with expressing a speculative opinion (I do it all the time) but I wouldn't want people here to get the impression that was a formal deceleration by the project team. In fact, the public was given the opposition impression because the Missing Link was shown in one of the slides as a red line roughly where the 407 is. A copy of the display board in question is in the Missing Link/407 bypass thread here. Further, Mayor Crombie spoke and given her passion for the Missing Link/bypass, I would assume she would be aware by now if the MSF precluded the tracks for the bypass. If folks want to see the MSF drawings I've pulled them from the TPAP project drawings and they are here.

Further, in February 2016 email correspondence with HuLRT project staff regarding the Missing Link/bypass and the maintenance yard, they stated:

If you visit the project website and view the alignment drawings (under public consultation) for that segment of the project you can obtain a rough approximation of the location of the MSF in relation to Hwy 407. We don’t yet have anything more detailed and won’t for some time.

Currently the Ministry of Transportation has an EA underway for the 407 Transitway which will be situated generally between the limits of the LRT MSF and the 407. We have had discussions with MTO in the past ensuring our respective initiatives are coordinated such that a possible 407 Transitway station could be effectively situated in the southeast quadrant of Hurontario and Hwy 407. I’m sure you can appreciate the many benefits to local, regional and intermodal transit and transportation of such a plan.

The Missing Link/bypass was not explicitly ruled out and given the June 14, 2016 announcement for the bypass for CN, one would assume it is possible and there would be room.

In a May 2016 email with an official from Queen's Park, the 407 Transitway was referenced:

The 407 Transitway EA, from west of Hurontario Street to east of Highway 400 is currently in the ‘planning’ stage and is tentatively scheduled for completion (and approval) in December 2017. As part of this stage, alternatives for the transitway alignment as well as the location of the stations are developed and evaluated. The first PIC (in two locations) for this study is planned for the Fall, 2016 and will present the ‘technically preferred’ transitway alignment and station location for public comment. The project website, which includes completed and on-going EA studies, is: www.407transitway.com.

I hope this provides additional context for this important issue. It could turn out to be the case that the MSF and bypass can't be side to side, or the MSF needs a design change, or the bypass needs to receive a lot of investment and treatment for bridges/trenches in this section but it's too early to say in my opinion.

Last edited:
Always half measures. The government should exclude Bombardier from the bidding process altogether after their shocking incompetence.

Always half measures. The government should exclude Bombardier from the bidding process altogether after their shocking incompetence.

And what about the other contracts that they've delivered on time? Do we ignore their performance for those?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Considering that Metrolinx has been completely unable to adhere to schedule for the Flexity Freedoms and Outlook deliveries, I think it's a fairly safe bet that an additional order of Ourlooks for Hurontario will be late as well.

And what about the other contracts that they've delivered on time? Do we ignore their performance for those?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Of course not but should a prof let a student who failed an exam after retests pass the course just because they passed the other courses? Regardless of their past history and success, weve given them unprecedented number of chances
and theyve still failed to meet the targets. They need to be punished through exclusion.

Considering that Metrolinx has been completely unable to adhere to schedule for the Flexity Freedoms and Outlook deliveries, I think it's a fairly safe bet that an additional order of Ourlooks for Hurontario will be late as well.

That's Flexity Freedoms for Hurontario, not Outlooks.

The vehicle order hasn't been made with any company yet. It's a competitive process. So the LRVs are nots "late" for Hurontario.

The vehicle order hasn't been made with any company yet. It's a competitive process. So the LRVs are nots "late" for Hurontario.

This is why I was kinda irked about the news stories. It was painting a picture that Bombardier was rejected, but they're not. They're totally free to submit a bid to supply to whatever company/consortia, but I wouldn't put money on them being successful. I think that, in a consortia situation, other partners would reject Bombardier from tagging on because it would hurt the bid.

This is why I was kinda irked about the news stories. It was painting a picture that Bombardier was rejected, but they're not. They're totally free to submit a bid to supply to whatever company/consortia, but I wouldn't put money on them being successful. I think that, in a consortia situation, other partners would reject Bombardier from tagging on because it would hurt the bid.
Unless Queen's Park puts pressure on supporting Thunder Bay jobs along with a nudge from Justin to support his larger plug of BBR's Montreal jobs.

You think that if we ordered additional Flexity outlooks, BBD would deliver on time?

I'm not sure and wouldn't speculate. I fully agree it will be a serious concern by the decision-makers. Guess we'll have to wait and see. It'll be interesting to see who bids. I know one of the issues is the 25% Canadian content requirement. Given that Ottawa went with Siemens, maybe Siemens would already fulfill this. I don't know.

I'm not sure and wouldn't speculate. I fully agree it will be a serious concern by the decision-makers. Guess we'll have to wait and see. It'll be interesting to see who bids. I know one of the issues is the 25% Canadian content requirement. Given that Ottawa went with Siemens, maybe Siemens would already fulfill this. I don't know.
There is no such thing as 25% Canadian Content as its been replace under the new Trade Agreement as ZERO. Its wide open.

Unless Queen's Park puts pressure on supporting Thunder Bay jobs along with a nudge from Justin to support his larger plug of BBR's Montreal jobs.

Except the BBD family isn't budging over giving up control over the company - which the Feds indicated it almost as a precondition to support.

I'd say today's news of job losses at Bombardier's transport division are the beginnings of what you predicted above.

Well, all good things must come to an end. If NDP wanted Thunder Bay, they can keep it.

AoD

Back