Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

From what I understand from social media, there is not that much overlap. A group called Citizens for a Better Brampton was against Main and pushing for the Creek Route (they even have a position paper on their website). Other residents, when speaking out against Main, never said to Council "if you reject Main, also reject the route up the creek".

Sounds like most of the residents living along the Etobicoke Creek (including those you have backyards onto it) didn't realize Council was studying the Creek Route along with two other routes and were surprised. The area this LRT route would go through is represented by two Councillors. One supported Main and the other did not.
From the guardian article

Some who showed up Monday to oppose the creek route option said they also oppose an LRT on Main Street.

The writer of that article is a good, balanced, guy with strong local knowledge.

I guess were getting into a subjective debate on "some" overlap regarding those who opposed Main Street and those who oppose the Creek Route. Not disputing the content of the article or the journalist because I agree with your characterization of his reporting. I just said "not much" overlap. Never meant to imply zero overlap.

What I did see is that one of the loudest groups of residents, both in terms of volume and people participating, didn't want Main Street and does want the Creek Route. Looks like there's lots of debate on routes, groups, residents, and who supports what or doesn't. All in the eye of the beholder.

I guess were getting into a subjective debate on "some" overlap between those who opposed Main Street and those who oppose the Creek Route. Not disputing the content of the article or the journalist because I agree with you on your characterization of his reporting. I just said "no much" overlap. Never meant to imply zero overlap.

What I did see is that one of the loudest groups of residents, both in terms of volume and people participating, didn't want Main Street and does want the Creek Route. Looks like there's lots of debate on routes, groups, residents, and who supports what or doesn't. All in the eye of the beholder.

What I have observed (and actually caught a bit of flack for commenting on twitter about) is that this seems to have developed into a "war" of equal levels of inflexibility.

There is a vocal group of people who support the original Main route...and that is fine...but anyone that suggests support for a different route (or even study of a different route) is called anti-LRT....so if someone expresses support for LRT but not on Main they are considered anti-LRT? The 6 councilors that voted against the Main route are called inflexible (and even have a nickname assigned to them of #obstructionist6) yet (to me) saying "LRT but only on Main" is at least as inflexible as saying "LRT but anywhere but Main".

I have "no horse" in this route race (I can actually see some merit and +/- in most of them).....I really don't.....but it would seem to me that now that Main is off the table, those people who really want LRT north of Steeles and ending at the Brampton GO station should just hold on for a while and see what staff reports in early - mid June about the 3 alternate routes...but, no, they are launching campaigns, social media blasts, petitions, meetings etc (there is even one that has the cycling committee of all things discussing condeming one of the routes in advance) as if killing the 3 routes before the staff reports come out will magically make the LRT on Main come back.

Again, people can act how they choose....and I don't have a "favourite route" but if the end goal is to get a LRT north of Steeles it would seem the best way to get there is listen to what staff says about the routes in 2 - 4 weeks time.

In classic #brampoli style, though, it is just a massive blob of intransigence where the only flexibility/compromise that is acceptable is the one where the other guy gives in.

In classic #brampoli style, though, it is just a massive blob of intransigence where the only flexibility/compromise that is acceptable is the one where the other guy gives in.

Thanks for expanding on your thoughts. Well, at least Brampton isn't alone right now. Sounds like fun times right now in Hamilton and with its LRT debate.

Politics, definitely.

And dangerously bad for perception.

But behind the scenes -- for planning -- night and day. Unlike for Brampton city planning, the Hamilton city planning department is steaming full anead in public consultations now. 6 million spent so far. Crowded schedule and the LRT office af Hunter GO has its initial staffing already.

TRCA staff have responded to Brampton staff's request, as directed by Council, for a position on a "proposed Etobicoke Creek Valley Alignment". As the report indicates, they had previously commented and provided their position on this route. The Brampton staff report on this LRT route option and two other route options goes to Council on June 20th.

Here's a link to the report. See page 8, item 8.3.

TRCA staff have responded to Brampton staff's request, as directed by Council, for a position on a "proposed Etobicoke Creek Valley Alignment". As the report indicates, they had previously commented and provided their position on this route. The Brampton staff report on this LRT route option and two other route options goes to Council on June 20th.

Here's a link to the report. See page 8, item 8.3.

For the lazy:

THAT TRCA staff recommend to the Authority that an LRT alignment through the
Etobicoke Creek Valley not be supported based on TRCA’s policies, permitting
requirements under Ontario Regulation 166/06, our delegated role to represent the
provincial interest on natural hazards, previously approved work with the Province and
City of Brampton on risk reduction within Downtown Brampton and the increased risk to
life, property and infrastructure that an LRT would pose within the valley;

THAT TRCA does not support an LRT within the Etobicoke Creek valley, on land which is
owned by TRCA, which is subject to significant risk from flooding and erosion, and which
provides one of the few contiguous natural heritage corridors within the City;

THAT should the City of Brampton proceed with further investigations for an LRT
alignment through Etobicoke Creek Valley, despite TRCA’s recommendations to the
contrary, an Individual Environmental Assessment (IEA) be completed due to the scope
and level of work that will need to take place to ensure an integrated study between this
transit initiative, flood remediation efforts, hazard risks and land use planning/growth
implications, and that the IEA be subject to approval by the Minister of Environment and
Climate Change as is provided for in the legislation;

AND FURTHER THAT the City of Brampton, Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry,
Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing, Minister of the Environment and Climate
Change, Minister of Transportation, and the Chair of Metrolinx, be so advised.

Brampton Guardian article on what transpired at the TRCA Board meeting today:

Conservation authority rejects Brampton’s LRT parkland proposal

At a meeting of Toronto and Region Conservation Authority May 27, members voted unanimously against driving a light rail transit line through a Brampton park
Brampton Guardian
By Peter Criscione

A proposal to drive light rail transit through Brampton’s Meadowland Park got two thumbs down from local conservation officials Friday (May 27).

“Sound planning, based on evidence and facts prevailed today,” said Andrew deGroot, co-founder of local transit advocacy group OneBrampton.

At a meeting of Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) board of directors, members voted unanimously against one of three routes being proposed as alternatives to the controversial Main Street line, north of Steeles Avenue, that Brampton council voted down last October.

The plan rejected by board members calls for rail line through Meadowland Park, north of Nanwood Drive, which is a route option previously rejected by planners because of the potential negative impact on lands deemed environmentally sensitive.

Brampton staff, in addition to the ‘creek’ route, is currently studying the viability of running light rail transit on McLaughlin and Kennedy roads to the downtown GO Train station. The province has not committed any funds to an alternate to the Main Street route rejected last year.

A cohort of neighbours turned up at TRCA offices in Vaughan Friday to speak out against the creek route proposal.

“One Brampton welcomes the TRCA board's decision today to unanimously reject the proposed LRT route through the Etobicoke Creek Valley, whether a surface route, elevated route or tunnel,” deGroot said.

The LRT debate has been a highly divisive issue in Brampton.

More than 100 people packed a May 16 planning committee meeting to rail against the creek route option, which includes an elevated rail through Meadowland parks, up to the Peel Memorial health campus and over to the downtown GO.

Residents in that neighbourhood complained about the loss of the parkland and trails as well as diminished property values and lack of privacy in the event the route option prevails.

In 2015, Ontario committed $1.6 billion to fund a Hurontario-Main LRT that would connect Mississauga’s lakeshore to the downtown Brampton GO station.

After months of intense debate, and a failed facilitation process, Brampton council voted to reject the proposed route along Main Street north of Steeles Ave.

Since then, council has been pushing staff to find alternatives, but not a single proposal put forth so far has managed to win council’s collective support.

At a March planning meeting, councillors debated the pros and cons of the creek route.

Regional Coun. John Sprovieri, who sits on the TRCA board, argued at that meeting that although the conservation authority does not endorse the parkland option (it sits on a flood plain) board members could make a political decision in favour of that option.

On Friday, Sprovieri was part of the unanimous vote that did not endorse the parkland plan.

Brampton councillors will debate alternate route options again on June 20.

I was flying out to Winnipeg yesterday, and after taking off from Pearson we flew over Hurontario Street, just north of the 401. As the picture I snapped demonstrates, there is tons of development potential here. Can't wait for the Hurontario LRT.
9SeXrqs.jpg

Of course, historic downtown Toronto has a huge light rail network as well. Over 200 LRVs running through downtown every day. Light rail is much truer to historic cities than buses are.

But honestly, I never liked the idea of two-way light rail on Main St anyways. The original loop proposal was much better. I think Metrolinx shot themselves on the foot changing it to a more controversial, more disruptive, bidirectional light rail line on Main.

Council's planning committee recommended an EA study for an alignment on Kennedy Road or McLaughlin Road about 20 minutes ago. Etobicoke Creek alignment eliminated.

Council's planning committee recommended an EA study for an alignment on Kennedy Road or McLaughlin Road about 20 minutes ago. Etobicoke Creek alignment eliminated.
LMAO...ML already rejected that what's makes those muppets think anything is going to change?

So they recommended route options that are twice as long the Main option to get to the same destination. I'm sure the province or whoever's funding this and transit riders will both love this idea very much. Spend twice as much money for double the travel time. That is exactly the way transit should be built. Brampton is leading the way.

Back