News   Apr 24, 2024
 365     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 554     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 488     0 

Huronia Regional Centre Arts Campus Proposal

Former residential schools in Sault Ste. Marie and Brantford have found new purpose. The Brantford school is now the Woodland Cultural Centre, the SSM school now part of the Algoma University campus. Yes, there were horrors at the Huronia Centre, and they should be recognized with an interpretive centre, like the one planned for Humber College's Lakeshore Campus. But tearing the complex down? I don't think that helps anybody.

Just passed this site while heading to North Bay and didn’t realize that it isn’t that far from downtown. Haven’t heard anything about this in years but still think that the main building would make a great arts centre! The housing buildings along the street are being used so they are being maintained. Can I make a little suggestion of starting with one of the pavilion buildings to gather momentum? Does The Haliburton Art School need a new campus?

IMG_5841.jpeg
IMG_5842.jpeg
IMG_5843.jpeg

Last edited:
Howdy: I wonder if the announcement in the Ontario 2024 budget of a $100m Site Preparation Pilot Program will apply to this site? Just sayin’!

I used to work in one of those buildings (restored for another use). They are fine structures but the interiors are basically asbestos held together by lead paint. The restoration of one building cost about double what it would have cost to bulldoze it and build new.

A quick read of Site Preparation Pilot Program doesn't seem to lend itself to this site, if for no other reason than it is government-owned. It looks like that Program funding is for municipalities and privately owned tracts.

I think an Orillia site would be far too cosmopolitan for the likes of the Haliburton Arts School (I'm actually surprised it is part of Fleming College; I thought it used to be run more like a hippy collective ;)

Let me guess who they want to pay for all of this.

I get what the video is trying to do, but some of the buildings shown are already renovated and occupied, and some of the footage shown is off-property.

Back